Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 Dec 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3339534)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess you either like the Gt series or you dont.

For me it is tired, geeky, too Japanese orientated and rather poor to play in comparison with other titles on PS.

I prefer fun title on s console as I cant play with a wheel on mine, I prefer the more adjustable settings of a PC to play a proper sim.

And when you consider that you can set a good time in GT on buttons and auto as you can with a wheel, that, frankly says it all to me.

While I like some aspects of it, a lot of it is very samey, at least change the livery on some older cars like Focus etc, that white car was in the very first damn game for Gods sake. They are the laziest developers in the history of simming I am afraid
Old 3 Dec 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3339623)   #102
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought GT5 was pants. It had its good points, but the chugging frame rate ruined it at times and, I dunno, it just seemed tired. There was nothing in there that we hadn't seen before, no USP, nothing to make it an essential purchase....Forza beat it for me, for the first time. But forgetting all the numbers, the locations, the most important thing seems to be that GT6 is a lot better, and I'm actually really excited about it. I hadn't realised it was out this week until today, so that's a nice surprise.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3339668)   #103
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
I thought GT5 was pants.
I was given GT5 Prologue - and that was so dire I didn't bother with GT5 until it came out on platinum - and even then I didn't pay 'full' price for it.

Quote:
It had its good points, but the chugging frame rate ruined it at times and, I dunno, it just seemed tired. There was nothing in there that we hadn't seen before, no USP, nothing to make it an essential purchase.
The best change for me was bringing in Spa as a circuit - great fun to drive But other than that there was nothing that grabbed the attention. Some of the changes also made it worse than GT4.

Quote:
the most important thing seems to be that GT6 is a lot better, and I'm actually really excited about it. I hadn't realised it was out this week until today, so that's a nice surprise.
I think I'll probably wait again - see what the general consensus is, see how stable it all is and how many fixes are rushed out. I wonder if the AI has been improved? That was always the weak point of the GT games for me - TOCA was far superior (and still is).
Old 5 Dec 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3340574)   #104
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World League Racing will be running an entry level comp within the first few weeks of launch, the disaster of FM5 has left a lot of our racers migrating to the PS3 for GT6 so it should be fun!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3340602)   #105
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"disaster of FM5"?
Old 5 Dec 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3340640)   #106
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Immensely looking forward to getting a delivery in the mail tomorrow. Unfortunately, heavy ice in my area may delay the package a little... I can't wait. GT6 looks epic!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3340648)   #107
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet you wont be saying that when you are forced to drive a standard Yaris round Autumn Ring for the umpteenths time!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3340686)   #108
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I bet you wont be saying that when you are forced to drive a standard Yaris round Autumn Ring for the umpteenths time!
That's exactly why career mode in Gran Turismo is the best out of any simulation racing game, PC, PS3, XBOX, you name it. You start out low and slowly move your way up to the top. If you or I started racing we'd be racing a Yaris around club tracks for umpteenths times also. That's the marvelous nature of Gran Turismo... realism.

Haters gonna hate...
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3340737)   #109
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
If you or I started racing we'd be racing a Yaris around club tracks for umpteenths times also. That's the marvelous nature of Gran Turismo... realism.
To some extent I agree - but I'd also like to be able to change the paintwork to make the cars look like racers rather than road cars. The earlier versions had the 'race modify' options for most (if not all?) cars, at the very least it'd be good to have that back.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3340748)   #110
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Realism!

Err, this is supposed to be a game not The Sims. And any sim you can play with a controller is about as realistoc as Pole Position lets face it!

But you will all buy it coz there is nothing else!

And Polyphony have as usual released a game at Christmas, so will make millions to fund his Nurburgring efforts for another few years!

Shame it has come to this, but developers cant break their stranglehold on Sony users, despite there being much mroe fun games out tehre to play

Enjoy your 300 horns, 25 different MX5's with teh same engine, 40 GTR Skylines and umpteen races around High Speed Ring!

For the love of God
Old 6 Dec 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3340784)   #111
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
To some extent you can level the same arguments at a lot of games (on all platforms) fifa nnnn, COD nnnn, Forza nnnn etc etc etc - just re-hashes of the same basic principal with a couple of new shiny things added. There really isn't much out there that is original.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3340787)   #112
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it’s a Japanese company – but do they really have to concentrate on Japanese cars?
Also, do they take any notice of feedback?
Most race series use qualifying as a system of starting the race. So, why isn’t this used in GT5/6?? Or include it as an option…… starting at the back with a rolling start can be infuriating
Old 6 Dec 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3340793)   #113
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Most race series use qualifying as a system of starting the race. So, why isn’t this used in GT5/6?? Or include it as an option…… starting at the back with a rolling start can be infuriating
The infuriating bit is how far back from the car ahead you start - on a rolling start you want to be right up their trumpet not half a mile behind. By the time you cross the start line the leader can be nothing but a small speck on the horizon. But yes, qualifying would be good.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3340794)   #114
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two gameplays of the Super GT vehicles here:
RAYBRIG HSV-010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1kfYhX5qc
SUBARU BRZ GT300: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Smv-NEJQI
Old 6 Dec 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3340806)   #115
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Realism!

Err, this is supposed to be a game not The Sims. And any sim you can play with a controller is about as realistoc as Pole Position lets face it!

But you will all buy it coz there is nothing else!

And Polyphony have as usual released a game at Christmas, so will make millions to fund his Nurburgring efforts for another few years!

Shame it has come to this, but developers cant break their stranglehold on Sony users, despite there being much mroe fun games out tehre to play

Enjoy your 300 horns, 25 different MX5's with teh same engine, 40 GTR Skylines and umpteen races around High Speed Ring!

For the love of God
GT clearly isn't your thing - but why is it so hard to understand that there are those of us that love it? Some of the things you mentioned in another post (geekiness I think is one of them) are part of what makes it GT, and not A.N. Other driving game - and it is a driving game, rather than just a racer. If I wanted an arcade racing game I'd buy whatever the latest Grid release is - I buy GT because I like GT, not because it's the only option.

I don't understand why you seem to be getting so annoyed by it - it's a game you don't like, that's fine, just don't buy it
Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3340888)   #116
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
"disaster of FM5"?
It's hardly been a success, especially from a racing league point of view, the lack of multiplayer lobby replays being the biggest of multiple problems meaning it won't be used for WLR races, a massive shame as we started on FM2 and have used every variation since!

300 fewer cars, a heap fewer tracks, its all bad. Add to it the day one DLC composed of mostly cars available from the previous games and its just a hideous money grab on Forza's part.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3341045)   #117
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Dear me

Comparing GT to Grid is like comparing I don't know, Fallout to GTA5. Similar open world exploring but very different in every way other than they use a controller.

GT tries to be a sim, but they went too far. B Spec, track design, 300 horns! Simple fact you buy a car in GT5 from a dealer, and you take it to change oil and get more power! WTF!!! You put an exhaust on a flat 4 Subaru and it suddenly becomes a BMW straight 6! If you are going to talk about driving and realism, then for Gods sake get your backing behind the right game!

These are niggles but show how utterly lazy and untested GT5 was and likely GT6 too. ITS A PATCH!

And I add the comment because this is a discussion forum, if I started a thread saying GT was rubbish it would get deleted.

Money grabbing is all these modern console games are doing, none of them are designed with the new machines in mind, they are ONLY designed to grab your Black Friday before Christmas, thereby funding development of their next gen games.

OK, if you want to buy a patch for 40 quid then be my guest.

But I would prefer to buy something complete, adventurous and refreshing. And none of the new release on either console, F1 2013, GT6 or FM5 are at all new, they are simple patches of existing games. Likely the best game I have played in recent years on a console was WRC3 or Dirt 3 or MX vs ATV alive. MotoGP. SBK versions are all patches as is most of WRC3 but it is complete and looks lovely.

And it is people like you who buy them, make these companies become lazy and dull and allow them to do this.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3341103)   #118
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If you're so turned-off by it, don't dwell on it, and don't come in here and comment on it!

I asked you earlier, Chunder, what could they do that you WOULD find interesting?! If you yourself can't tell them, how the hell are they supposed to know for you?!

Maybe it is a money grab. What do you want us to do about it though? If we just stopped buying, they could just as easily conclude that the market has dried up, and stop making successors to either series altogether! Then we would have NO racing sim options at all, much less an improved game, because they stopped being lazy and dull as you say. Besides, the word is probably coming down from on high at Sony and Microsoft that is causing this. If we stop buying, Polyphony and Turn 10 will likely take the hit, NOT the big dogs who are actually calling the shots.

And I don't mind a small car on the smaller tracks to start out. It helps you get acclimated without being overwhelmed right off the bat. It's also more fun that way, because you really can't make proper use of one of the supercars at a place like Autumn Ring Mini; heck, even the full Autumn Ring is kind of tight for the more powerful stuff. Anyway, it just makes sense that in a career mode, you start at the bottom, and work you way up.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3341109)   #119
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys don't waste your time with chunder. He spends his entire time talking about things he hates so much. Seriously, check the post history. Moan after moan.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3341176)   #120
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
And who are you mr tool?

I comment on things on a forum that warrant comment.

Not everyone only has glowing praise for things they see and will only comment on them.

Some folk like to pass comment on things they don't like, doing what you are doing is exactly the same as I do, without qualification as I have no idea who you are and cant remember ever commenting on things you have written!

The game need more race cars, that is what the game is about. The rally mode needs to be better, they need to introduce things like a proper drift series, some sort of rallycross event. Toughe? Some of the weird Japanese styling would be awesome, as would a proper drag racing area when you can make changes and really modify your car for drag strips.

Totally get rid of endurance events, they have no place in a computer game of this type, maybe have a 3 hour race max, but 24 hour races, unless you can race against 40 odd cars like the real thing, are totally inappropriate.

Total car modification, they know enough now to be able to let you at least add bodykits, wheels (more than the 20 or so now). They got someway there in last game, but three spoilers is not enough.

One or two basic model of each car, not 20. It's all simple stuff. And when you click on Fiat as an iconic manufacturer, do you really want to see a basic 500 or something! No you want a 131 Abarth, or a Dino, or something fun like a STrada TC or Panda 4x4. Not something Fiat wanted there and GT had no say in. That is marketing gone wrong.

Some of GT is right, but too uch of it is tired and weary, and sadly it's folk like you that buy it without even thinking as it marketed as a new game!

How do you think GT Academy is paid for? Or his yearly trip to the Ring in a GTR?

Everyone has a right to make money yes, but selling what is basically a mod to a 4 year old game is simply shafting punters.

Then again its only 40 quid, and if that gives you hours of pleasure then its cheap entertainment, but even then, don't you still feel a little bit used when you get your first 10 grand and the usual suspects are all you can buy, Silvia K, MX5, Civic Sri etc etc etc etc.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3341191)   #121
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now for an unbiased review. Got it Yesterday afternoon, played it on and off between commitments since, using a pad only.

Graphics wise, some things wow me, such as replays of your runs up the hill at Goodwood. However, the majority appear to be tweaked versions seen in GT5. Crisp images, very little popup, a bit dark in places, but the daylight levels on some circuits have to be seen to be believed, they look fab. And little touches like the flag man waving the chequered flag, crowd milling around on replays etc. Its about the apex of PS3 tech and really to be expected. Overall, 8/10.

Handling....spot on. Cars have a believable weight to them now, instead of the slightly floaty sensation of GT5. Big cars feel big (Aston One-77 on Goodwood....crazy hard), small cars feel nimble. The karts don't feel like on a knife edge anymore, you can push them a lot without biting back. 9/10.

Sounds....Not sure on this. Yes, they are better, but not a huge difference. Hard to explain, you'd have to see and hear for yourself. I wasn't impressed. 5/10

Content - Lots to talk about here. Good points are Bathurst, Spa, Brands (looking better than in ANY game I've seen), Goodwood, GT Arena. And all the old classics back. Cars are the bad points though. The models are stuck in GT4 territory for me. The Vauxhall range for example, its the Corsa C, Pre-facelift version of the last Vectra, old Tigra, and still listing the DTM Astra and Calibra as Vauxhalls as well as Opels. Where are the Insignia, Adam, Antara, new Tigra etc? And that can be extracted over many manufacturers. Lots of SEMA-style American Muscle though, plenty of JDM cars from manufacturers and tuners. There will be something for everyone, but I can't help feeling that the car set should be more advanced to todays models than it is. I'd give it a 7/10, but thats generous.

Gameplay. You can't go online until you reach a certain licence level. Career is plain and straightforward, you are forced to do a lap of Brands in a Clio to let the tutorial show you the ropes, before the game guides you to buy a Honda Fit, then do the Sunday Cup. Once you pass that, you're free to play whatever you have unlocked, which is done by stars (3 for a win, 2 for second, 1 for third). I do miss having to use your meagre budget to trawl the secondhand car yards for a heap to start with. I've been playing maybe 3 or 4 hours in bursts, and its going nicely, nothing unbalanced yet in terms of getting in a hypercar and blasting wins here and there. Its a game that seems to be paced just right. 8/10.

So, going by my scores, thats 37/50. So far, I reckon its a LOT like GT5, but there is plenty that is new, lots that I haven't seen yet which may or may not sway those scores above. If you have GT5, I wouldn't say its worth the £40 retail price as there isn't enough different in it to justify it. But, if you missed GT5 or came to the party late (I did, I got my PS3 last summer and played GT5 on and off, didn't make too much progress), then get it bought and get stuck into it. You'll enjoy it.

Instead of worrying about what it isn't, celebrate what it is.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3341193)   #122
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh and so far, Goodwood is my favourite. The track is sooooo hard. Gold, silver and bronze times to beat to progress. Narrow track, and cars which are overpowered or undergripped really. Go too much off the tarmac and its a fail. Get into the wall too hard, fail. Frustrating, but you feel its your mistake, not the game. Easily some of the most fun I've had in GT game was thrashing the Audi Group B Quattro up the hill.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3341745)   #123
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heads up: the Mercedes Vision GT's headlights DO NOT work (for me, at least). I did the Nordschleife night race with it: would not recommend.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3342544)   #124
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I Got it today, and I have to say I like it a lot. Quite looking forward to progressing to the later events.

PS if you want to play me online, my user ID is b1ack-cr0w01

See ya trackside
Old 11 Dec 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3342606)   #125
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I Got it today, and I have to say I like it a lot. Quite looking forward to progressing to the later events.

PS if you want to play me online, my user ID is b1ack-cr0w01

See ya trackside
Okay...but do you also have Gran Turismo 5, which I currently have since June 2011?