Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Oct 2022, 18:26 (Ref:4130301)   #426
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Motorbase's talks with Audi have ended (more info in the article about possible Merc C-Class and time running out and whether to stay with the Focus):

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...kids/10384355/

“ The rules state that a four-wheel-drive car can only run in rear-wheel-drive configuration in NGTC if the engine is mounted longitudinally, and the A5 has a transverse engine.

Er nope, that’s definitely wrong.

Edit - I’ve re-read the article several times and I’m not sure any of it makes sense. What rule are they even talking about trying to change?
Old 15 Oct 2022, 05:11 (Ref:4130344)   #427
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
“ The rules state that a four-wheel-drive car can only run in rear-wheel-drive configuration in NGTC if the engine is mounted longitudinally, and the A5 has a transverse engine.

Edit - I’ve re-read the article several times and I’m not sure any of it makes sense. What rule are they even talking about trying to change?
An RS5 is 4wd and North / South. Maybe the production volumes killed it
Old 15 Oct 2022, 05:48 (Ref:4130346)   #428
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This intriguing times ahead. Will any new teams join? What makes will be in the series? How many new drivers will there be? Can't wait to see
Old 15 Oct 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4130352)   #429
SSmith
Racer

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of support races in 2023, here is how the calendar is looking. Porsche announced yesterday that the Sprint Challenge series will have all 6 of its rounds on the TOCA package in 2023.

My understanding is that there are TBA support series at Brands Indy, Snetterton, Thruxton, Oulton Park, Croft, and Knockhill.

Donington Park National 22/23 April
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge GB

Brands Hatch Indy 6/7 May
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Snetterton 20/21 May
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Sprint Challenge
TBA

Thruxton 3/4 June
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Oulton Park 17/18 June
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Croft 29/30 July
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Sprint Challenge
TBA

Knockhill 12/13 August
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Donington GP August 26/27
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge

Silverstone National September 23/24
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge

Brands Hatch GP October 7/8
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge
Old 15 Oct 2022, 09:27 (Ref:4130355)   #430
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
In terms of support races in 2023, here is how the calendar is looking. Porsche announced yesterday that the Sprint Challenge series will have all 6 of its rounds on the TOCA package in 2023.
Predictable, but hugely disappointing. Can't remember a race we've seen so far which hasn't been hopelessly dull. Needs a significant boost in entries, i.e. doubling, though perhaps one or two from Supercup might take an interest.

...and three rounds of the Mini Trophy again, likewise it was expected but can't say I'm thrilled.

At least F4 has picked up in entries.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 09:32 (Ref:4130356)   #431
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Oliphant Has said he his looking at racing in 2023, in UK or Aus
Oliphant is looking at Super2 in Australia - won't be in the UK.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4130357)   #432
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Oliphant is looking at Super2 in Australia - won't be in the UK.
It was based on this comment:

"I want to make clear that this is not my retirement or the end of my career. While I won’t be racing next year, I fully intend to get back behind the wheel again and will be looking at offers for 2023 and beyond, whether in the UK or potentially Australia."

If he has made further comments since that rule out a return to the UK definitively, it is an oversight on my part and happy to amend?
Old 15 Oct 2022, 09:46 (Ref:4130358)   #433
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
If he has made further comments since that rule out a return to the UK definitively, it is an oversight on my part and happy to amend?
Was on TinTopTuesday I think after Thruxton. From what I can remember seemed pretty certain on Australia.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4130361)   #434
SSmith
Racer

Quote:
Predictable, but hugely disappointing. Can't remember a race we've seen so far which hasn't been hopelessly dull. Needs a significant boost in entries, i.e. doubling, though perhaps one or two from Supercup might take an interest.

...and three rounds of the Mini Trophy again, likewise it was expected but can't say I'm thrilled.

At least F4 has picked up in entries.
To be a credible addition, Sprint Challenge needs a minimum of 16 cars. They've signed a 3 season deal so things better improve. I would hope that the full season being with TOCA may boost entries slightly although entries actually dipped when they joined TOCA this year. This weekend's season finale at Donington has attracted 13 entries - 6 "Pros" and 7 "Ams" which is better than its been for a while. Some big gaps in quali but apparently it was damp so that accounts for some of it. I'm also hopeful a few Ginetta drivers will move across.

Mini Trophy can yo-yo from great racing to crash-fest. Its a shame that on the TOCA package we mainly get crashes.

F4 is likely to have at least 20 cars on the grid next year, maybe even up to 24. I hope the reverse-grid bonus points are scrapped (but I know they probably won't be) as it just makes it too complicated and unnecessarily rewards drivers who always start and finish last and "overtake" drivers who retire.

In terms of the TBA slots on the calendar - I wonder who might fill them? A theory I had was Mini Miglias or Mini Se7ens at Brands Indy and Thruxton, and the Scottish Mini Championship at Knockhill.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 10:27 (Ref:4130363)   #435
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
To be a credible addition, Sprint Challenge needs a minimum of 16 cars. They've signed a 3 season deal so things better improve. I would hope that the full season being with TOCA may boost entries slightly although entries actually dipped when they joined TOCA this year. This weekend's season finale at Donington has attracted 13 entries - 6 "Pros" and 7 "Ams" which is better than its been for a while. Some big gaps in quali but apparently it was damp so that accounts for some of it. I'm also hopeful a few Ginetta drivers will move across.

Mini Trophy can yo-yo from great racing to crash-fest. Its a shame that on the TOCA package we mainly get crashes.

F4 is likely to have at least 20 cars on the grid next year, maybe even up to 24. I hope the reverse-grid bonus points are scrapped (but I know they probably won't be) as it just makes it too complicated and unnecessarily rewards drivers who always start and finish last and "overtake" drivers who retire.
Three years, really? I do enjoy GT4-esque racing so it definitely has the potential to be a good series. But so far, from the races shown on the Toca package at least, entry numbers are minimal and the pro-am / am difference means those few cars spread put pretty quickly. Even with Porsche and their money behind it I wouldn't have been surprised if it was cancelled after this year.

13 cars is a step in the right direction but as you say, needs to be aiming at 15-16 I think. Obviously the cars and costs are different, but I hope having two Porsche series together doesn't dilute entries from one to the other. On the other hand, perhaps some of the Carrera Cup teams will look at running Caymans now they're in the same package.

Agree with the MINI points, the racing is decent and grids healthy but feels very clubby in terms of the cars and driving standards. And yes, that F4 points system seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 11:02 (Ref:4130366)   #436
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an interview with shedden on dynamics Facebook page where he talks about things that they need to do over the winter to improve. Seems to suggest he's coming back next season
Old 15 Oct 2022, 11:20 (Ref:4130369)   #437
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87 View Post
There is an interview with shedden on dynamics Facebook page where he talks about things that they need to do over the winter to improve. Seems to suggest he's coming back next season
Get a TOCA engine?
Old 15 Oct 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4130370)   #438
SSmith
Racer

Quote:
Three years, really? I do enjoy GT4-esque racing so it definitely has the potential to be a good series. But so far, from the races shown on the Toca package at least, entry numbers are minimal and the pro-am / am difference means those few cars spread put pretty quickly. Even with Porsche and their money behind it I wouldn't have been surprised if it was cancelled after this year.

13 cars is a step in the right direction but as you say, needs to be aiming at 15-16 I think. Obviously the cars and costs are different, but I hope having two Porsche series together doesn't dilute entries from one to the other. On the other hand, perhaps some of the Carrera Cup teams will look at running Caymans now they're in the same package.

Agree with the MINI points, the racing is decent and grids healthy but feels very clubby in terms of the cars and driving standards. And yes, that F4 points system seems a bit unnecessary.
"Really?" was my reaction too upon reading that it was a 3yr deal! I was also convinced that this would be its final year.
Teams like Parker, Redline and Valluga have had cars in Sprint this year (Parker entering nearly 1/3rd of the grid this weekend, and those 3 teams accounting for 9 of 13 entries...) so I would imagine that logistically the TOCA package makes life slightly easier. A team like JTR, Richardson or Century could probably run cars in Sprint now if the interest was there.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4130376)   #439
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Matt hasn't stepped away though. He's just not driving. I don't see how him not driving has any reflection in team operation.
Matt Neal is in his mid 50s, IIRC they sold their alloy wheels family business years ago. How motivated and eager he still is to run the racing team?
Old 16 Oct 2022, 10:00 (Ref:4130479)   #440
Evantra
Veteran

England
https://www.team-hard.com/btcc-sunda...ands-hatch-gp/

Taylor-Smith and Hamilton suggesting they'll be back next year (the former as part of a multi-year deal)

'Rick Parfitt was unavailable for comment'
Old 16 Oct 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4130481)   #441
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Taylor-Smith and Hamilton suggesting they'll be back next year (the former as part of a multi-year deal)

Probably just as well judging by some of his FB comments!
Old 16 Oct 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4130486)   #442
SSmith
Racer

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Its good ATS's multi-year deal seems to be being kept. It would be interesting to see Hamilton return, I'm guessing sponsorship-wise things must be more stable than last year. Given previous years though it would be a shock to have a stable Team HARD lineup!

That Parfitt line is indeed
Old 16 Oct 2022, 12:02 (Ref:4130488)   #443
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYngTUZeUQ
Old 16 Oct 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4130530)   #444
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thompson is also looking to continue with HARD next season.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4130558)   #445
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
An RS5 is 4wd and North / South. Maybe the production volumes killed it
touring fan 01 provided details that cover this a few pages back -

RS5 - at 2,894cc the displacement is too large to be permitted.
S5 - at 2,967cc the displacement is also too large to be permitted.

This leaves the A5 only as the option (from the '5' range). At 1,984cc the engine size of the petrol engine fits the eligibility criteria.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4130560)   #446
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

I think the journalist has got a bit mixed up with what Pete Osborne said:
“But to let a 2.0-litre A5 in was no different to any other car in my opinion.

“We just wanted to change the rules because we feel it would be for everyone’s benefit.”

I think he is referring to the part of the regulations that says something like -"[cars must have] an identical mechanical conception of the engine and the transmission to the wheels"

There are two gearboxes available for use in an NGTC build, one designed for transverse engines in a FWD configuration and one designed for longitudinal engines in a RWD configuration. The rule change that I think Pete was referring to is to allow a car that is FWD in its road-going form (A5) to be RWD in the BTCC due to the engine layout.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 07:45 (Ref:4130561)   #447
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Was on TinTopTuesday I think after Thruxton. From what I can remember seemed pretty certain on Australia.
Thanks.

I remember the interview; I just hadn't registered it as being so definitive about the future. I've just listened back again, and you are right, the UK is definitely not on the cards for the next few years it seems

(watch him surprise us all now and be at 2023 Media Day )
Old 17 Oct 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4130562)   #448
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the journalist has got a bit mixed up with what Pete Osborne said:
“But to let a 2.0-litre A5 in was no different to any other car in my opinion.

“We just wanted to change the rules because we feel it would be for everyone’s benefit.”

I think he is referring to the part of the regulations that says something like -"[cars must have] an identical mechanical conception of the engine and the transmission to the wheels"

There are two gearboxes available for use in an NGTC build, one designed for transverse engines in a FWD configuration and one designed for longitudinal engines in a RWD configuration. The rule change that I think Pete was referring to is to allow a car that is FWD in its road-going form (A5) to be RWD in the BTCC due to the engine layout.
Hmmm. Was the rule changed after Rob Austin’s Audi then, meaning they requested it be changed back to open up the original loophole?
Old 17 Oct 2022, 07:56 (Ref:4130563)   #449
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
With credit to those who have provided updates in this thread:

2022 TBL Team Car Driver Status Jack Sears
EXCELR8-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback NIngram Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback NChilton Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-3Excelr8 Hyundai i30 Fastback NLloyd?Talked about being confident of 2023 drive Inel.
EXCELR8-4Excelr8 Hyundai i30 Fastback N??? ???
Team Dynamics-1Halfords/Cataclean?Civic?Shedden?Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Team Dynamics-2Halfords/Cataclean?Civic?Rowbottom?Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Aiden Moffat-1Laser Tools????Moffat?Infiniti described as being end of life by the teamInel.
Aiden Moffat-2Laser Tools???????Infiniti described as being end of life by the team???
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing???Sutton Confirmed as 3-year deal in press release, talk of new build carInel.
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing???Cammish Confirmed as 3-year deal in press release, talk of new build carInel.
Motorbase-3     
Motorbase-4     
HARD.-1HARD. Cupra Taylor-Smith Confirmed as multi-year in press release Inel.
HARD.-2HARD. CupraThompson? Talked about his next year in the car Inel.
HARD.-3HARD. CupraHamilton? Talked about his next year in the car Inel.
Speedworks-1Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla?Butcher?Talked about wanting another year with the teamInel.
Speedworks-2     
WSR-1     
WSR-2     
WSR-3 MB Motorsport?BMW 330e?Hill?Talked about being back next year in the same teamInel.
Ciceley-1     
Ciceley-2     
PMR-1PMRAstra? Hand Confirmed as multi-year in press release Elig.
PMR-2     
BTC-1     
BTC-2     
BTC-3     
Boardley-1??????Boardley? Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
Boardley-2     
TOCA-1     
TOCA-2     
TOCA-3     
???Graves Motorsport????Max Coates? Outlined plans for an entry in 2021Elig.
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???     
???MB Motorsport??????Talked about a 2-car entry for 2023???
???Bert Taylor Racing?????? Talked about getting a TBL for 2023 ???
?????????Proctor? Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Inel.
?????????Smelt? Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
???VolvoKiaT.Harvey Rumoured in threads every year, has to be true one day Inel.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 09:14 (Ref:4130568)   #450
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmmm. Was the rule changed after Rob Austin’s Audi then, meaning they requested it be changed back to open up the original loophole?
I always thought the rule was if the road car was 4WD/AWD, then the NGTC gearbox options forced a transverse engine to become a FWD race car and a longitudinal engine to be a RWD race car.

From a bit of eBay research, it appears that the 2.0TSI petrol is still a longitudinal mounted block... so not quite sure what the issue here is