Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jan 2023, 17:17 (Ref:4142237)   #1051
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Bring back the night race
Hold a street race
Hold a race at Prembry/Anglesey/etc
Have an entry from Volvo/Nissan/Renault/etc

I expect it will be the old favourites
Congratulations! The full set! None of the above possible!! Buy a Delorean and journey back to 1999!!!
Old 30 Jan 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4142245)   #1052
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Bring back the night race
Hold a street race
Hold a race at Prembry/Anglesey/etc
Have an entry from Volvo/Nissan/Renault/etc

I expect it will be the old favourites
No outcry about the fragile toe-links?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4142249)   #1053
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see:

A revisement of the performance balancing measures to include 2021-level success ballast in qualifying and in race two only, and nothing in races one and three.

Prize money awarded for championship positions so that teams are more inclined to sign good drivers rather than those with money.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4142252)   #1054
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I'd like to see:

A revisement of the performance balancing measures to include 2021-level success ballast in qualifying and in race two only, and nothing in races one and three.

Prize money awarded for championship positions so that teams are more inclined to sign good drivers rather than those with money.
And where exactly does this money come from?
Old 31 Jan 2023, 09:50 (Ref:4142288)   #1055
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
And where exactly does this money come from?
Well presumably someone is making money out of it with the size of the gates and the TV deals?
Old 31 Jan 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4142295)   #1056
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Well presumably someone is making money out of it with the size of the gates and the TV deals?
Entry fees from teams and sponsorship/TV deals cover the cost of the TOCA team and business. Gate fees and circuit hire (paid by TOCA via BARC) covers the cost of the circuits.

After those two main groups are covered, there is very little to zero left for a prize fund.

That one off £250K Matt Neal one in the super tourer days, in the Primera was an insurance backed thing as no one really believed it would happen.

Last edited by auroan; 31 Jan 2023 at 11:33.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 11:39 (Ref:4142296)   #1057
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of whether there is enough money for a prize fund or not, I can't see it working as a model for BTCC teams.

Firstly, in the current context of TBLs, teams have to have a more reliable source of funds to cover their exposure.
Secondly, what guarantee does a good driver have that they will deliver results.

If I look at last year's grid. Lloyd (for example) would be considered by many as being a talented driver. But what prize money would he have gained coming 10th in the championship?
And would that have gone anywhere near covering the repair bills through the season?

I think the biggest risk is that the prize money would only lead to a fixed grid order, rather than mixing it up. If a team is relying on prize money to fund a significant part of their entry, then that needs to be a healthy sum all the way down to 29th place. Working up from that, the prize money at the front of the grid would need to be huge in comparison.

Once certain teams are swallowing up such huge sums of money, the midfield teams have no chance of catching up.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4142297)   #1058
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
And how much does ITV pay? Its not F1....
Old 31 Jan 2023, 13:59 (Ref:4142307)   #1059
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And how much does ITV pay? Its not F1....
To be fair, does ITV actually pay for the BTCC?
I've often wondered if the TV coverage is 'all part of the package' to make the series attractive to potential sponsors.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4142309)   #1060
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To be fair, does ITV actually pay for the BTCC?
I've often wondered if the TV coverage is 'all part of the package' to make the series attractive to potential sponsors.
I would doubt ITV pays TOCA anything Without the TV deal the Championship would die inside 3 seasons
Old 31 Jan 2023, 19:08 (Ref:4142324)   #1061
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would doubt ITV pays TOCA anything Without the TV deal the Championship would die inside 3 seasons
I concur. Given that one of the reasons that the championships are moving to the GT package is because the TV is cheaper, it is likely that ITV aren't funding the coverage.

Ticket revenue is also retained by the circuits (although I don't believe that TOCA pays circuit hire fees).
Old 31 Jan 2023, 20:55 (Ref:4142334)   #1062
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can’t believe nothing has been leaked!
Old 31 Jan 2023, 22:42 (Ref:4142340)   #1063
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Can’t believe nothing has been leaked!
To be fair thats how it should be. Although from what I can see there's still not much to leak.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 23:07 (Ref:4142343)   #1064
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was expecting more by now, so maybe we are in for a surprise or two.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4142396)   #1065
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's one of the most underwhelming silly seasons
Old 1 Feb 2023, 15:15 (Ref:4142403)   #1066
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Always interesting (IMO) to look back at previous seasons.

11 Feb 22 "It's been very quiet so far, announcements have been slow."
and - "Does anyone know what the date/s are for the 3 day testing and media days are"

Add this to the responses to some information that was being provided, which consisted of a lot of sniping regarding the information being incomplete or being unable to reveal the full detail ahead of an embargo. You end up with a situation where even if people do have some information to hand, they wonder why bother?
Old 1 Feb 2023, 16:39 (Ref:4142416)   #1067
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as we have a good quality field of drivers and a fantastic season of racing I don't mind the 'underwhelming' silly season. But have to admit, all the rumours about who's going where, who's building new cars, who's retiring, who's coming make a nice build-up to the season and make you feel more excited about the season ahead. Now with all this silence sometimes I have an impression I don't look forward to the season that much.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 18:13 (Ref:4142432)   #1068
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, we’re not even getting the usual ‘clues’. It’s been very slow so far and it does make you wonder how many deals have happened.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4142435)   #1069
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring back 'Shake with Shaun'!
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4142437)   #1070
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laser Tools have taken their title sponsorship over to MB Motorsport/ Jake Hill:

https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/01/lase...-title-charge/
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4142438)   #1071
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Laser Tools have taken their title sponsorship over to MB Motorsport/ Jake Hill:

Didn’t see that coming
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:07 (Ref:4142439)   #1072
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post

Interesting, will be nice to see a brighter livery at least, and no more "Rokitship" talk!

Maybe it's just me, or the folds / shadows but the front of that car really has the shape of the BMW's new grille design...
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:15 (Ref:4142440)   #1073
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laser Tools Racing, which put out a press release in December saying "Laser Tools Racing has today (December 5th) announced its withdrawal from the BTCC and will not be contesting the championship in 2023"...
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:19 (Ref:4142441)   #1074
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Autosport article suggests that it was MB Motorsport who made contact with Laser Tools about sponsorship, rather than Laser Tools making the first move:

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...ill-/10426995/
Old 1 Feb 2023, 19:28 (Ref:4142443)   #1075
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Automotive Ltd., the actual company behind the "Laser Tools" branding, ownership structure changed in November of last year. At the same time Aiden Moffat ceased to be a director of the company. His father still retains his previous 50% shareholding though, so it's not as if the Moffat family is no longer involved with Laser Tools.