Yuki Tsunoda 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 May 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4111123)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Im not LHater, but him suggesting they call it a day after his off and having to be told to keep driving is sort of a character assesment. He has history of saying "these tyres are shot" "Your strategy is reason im not further ahead" "you guys cost me a win" etc.
generally after his whinge he turns in some terrific laps, no doubt he can drive, but he does seem to have a bit of a chip and doesnt like to take the blame
There are two elements at play in the radio messages you hear from Hamilton.

Firstly - he has admitted previously that sometimes the messages about tyres being finished are aimed at deceiving other teams listening to radio messages.
Hamilton:“Sometimes, the worst thing if you bluff your own teams. So you’ve got to be careful. In the past, there have been times where it’s worked in benefit but it’s a very, very, very fine line. The other teams are listening to what you’re saying, so everyone is listening out to who’s pitting when.”
Secondly - he has talked about how he uses negativity to motivate himself. If he can get into the mindset that situations are aligned against him and he has something to prove, he uses this to spur himself on and put in some of the results we have seen.
Hamilton: "In future, the negative thing is only a positive thing for me because I harness it and turn it from a negative to a positive."

In future - look for when Hamilton seems to be in a negative state of mind and appears to be complaining about things not going his way. That is when you can expect him to be on top form.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4111124)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Remember also that a couple of races ago Hamilton was stuck in DRS a queue for the entire race. So perhaps this was in the back of his mind when he was thinking that all was lost.

I don't like criticizing a driver too heavily for radio messages (even the angry sweary outbursts) - they are after all done in the heat of the moment between driver and team. I think even Vettel jumped to Hamilton's defense on this point in the past, at a point in time when him & Hamilton were top rivals fighting for the WDC and their relationship was not great.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:48 (Ref:4111125)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Remember also that a couple of races ago Hamilton was stuck in DRS a queue for the entire race. So perhaps this was in the back of his mind when he was thinking that all was lost.
That might be true. He has admitted that Jeddah was in his mind at the time on this occasion:
“I was 30 seconds, at one stage, behind last. Having seen where I was, if you think back in Jeddah where I started 15th and I struggled to get into the top 10 I was thinking it was going to be impossible to get back into the points positions.
I was 30 seconds behind so I’m like, if I’m going to use the whole engine to drive around in last or out of the top 15 and at some point we might have to take a penalty or something like that.
I don’t know if reliability is an issue, we’ve already seen today at the end there was something. But I was like, we might as well just save the engine so we live to fight another day. But I’m glad we didn’t and it just shows that you never stop and never give up and that’s what I did.
The team said no, you’re on for eighth. I couldn’t understand it at the beginning and I thought that they were being super-optimistic.
But I was like okay, I’ll give it everything and see where I come out. It turns out it was higher than eighth. It was just a little bit unfortunate at the end with the engine but I’m just glad we finished.”
Old 24 May 2022, 11:47 (Ref:4111142)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose I'm a believer in giving the benefit of the doubt in some situations, such as on the internet where people are wont to seizing an opportunity to see the bad in someone. Yes, it might seem like throwing in the towel and maybe it was, but I think even if the team had called his bluff, he would've then questioned it and asked for more information and wanted to stay out. The point about him thriving on the negativity is a sound one in my opinion. Maybe there's a touch of the Nigel Mansell there - wanting to believe it's all gone wrong and get some kind of affirmation/ support from the team before going on a charge.
Old 24 May 2022, 15:02 (Ref:4111160)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
We've seen this from Lewis before, it seems to be how he processes difficult (or less than ideal situations) - gets a bit "flat" for a while but then picks himself up and gets on with it - when I heard the "let's save the engine" radio call, felt that it was only his usual way of processing the situation and he'd be going hard again soon.

Can't really beat him up for that IMHO - it's just his process.
right on point Tourer!

also a big fan of Max' process and pushing the button 50 times.

often we talk about how these cars have become relatively easier over the years...its radio messages likes these ones where the top drivers still cant mask their frustration is where i am gleefully reminded that this aint an easy job. respect the process.

anywho, for dotr...some really smart driving from George and thought it spoke to how well prepared he was for this sort of scenario. genius defence at times.

speaking of comms, would have liked to have heard a bit more between George and his garage as to better understand his process.
Old 24 May 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4111162)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Certainly was a weekend that could have gone any which way. But Max's DRS not working shows how much more tenser it is without it. Suspense should be part of the excitement and let drivers find their own way to overtake. They don't all have to pass at the same point

And yes I also gave DOTR to George, he's really lifted the team up after a tough start to the season and totally got a lot out of that car. He should challenge for wins more often now. One of his best drives in his career so far

Anyway we probably didn't hear more from George and his team, because there is still some privacy which we don't know about
Old 24 May 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4111173)   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Talking of Georges communications I loved his 'Typically British stiff upper-lip style'. When he was told they thought Perez was going for a (surprising) one-stop strategy he simply replied "Blimey"! Brilliant...
Old 24 May 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4111176)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Talking of Georges communications I loved his 'Typically British stiff upper-lip style'. When he was told they thought Perez was going for a (surprising) one-stop strategy he simply replied "Blimey"! Brilliant...
right! that was great.

def want to hear more of him in the heat of things.

maybe he doesn't say much or just not the type of stuff the TV director finds 'sensationalized' enough for broadcast.
Old 24 May 2022, 17:23 (Ref:4111184)   #34
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
right! that was great.

def want to hear more of him in the heat of things.

maybe he doesn't say much or just not the type of stuff the TV director finds 'sensationalized' enough for broadcast.

I think we should be quite aware of how much it's being directed and shaped by timing and placed out of context. We know Drive to Survive fabricate some drama when reality is a bit dull. I bet these messages are the same. I know SkyF1 have said multiple times "that was an old message" when they had been monitoring the radio.
Old 24 May 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4111186)   #35
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

In general I like the way he handles media. He seems to talk more to the point than some drivers who just waffle on about how great the team are, or how much work they still have to do.

...and yes, that was brilliant!
Old 24 May 2022, 23:40 (Ref:4111218)   #36
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There are two elements at play in the radio messages you hear from Hamilton.

Firstly - he has admitted previously that sometimes the messages about tyres being finished are aimed at deceiving other teams listening to radio messages.
Hamilton:“Sometimes, the worst thing if you bluff your own teams. So you’ve got to be careful. In the past, there have been times where it’s worked in benefit but it’s a very, very, very fine line. The other teams are listening to what you’re saying, so everyone is listening out to who’s pitting when.”
Secondly - he has talked about how he uses negativity to motivate himself. If he can get into the mindset that situations are aligned against him and he has something to prove, he uses this to spur himself on and put in some of the results we have seen.
Hamilton: "In future, the negative thing is only a positive thing for me because I harness it and turn it from a negative to a positive."

In future - look for when Hamilton seems to be in a negative state of mind and appears to be complaining about things not going his way. That is when you can expect him to be on top form.
The boy who cried wolf(f). Literally nobody in the paddock would believe Lewis' tyres are ever actually gone.
Old 25 May 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4111307)   #37
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps he's overly sensitive to tyre wear having been left out on tyres down to the canvas in China 2007 and crossing the finishing line with a flat last year?