Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who would benefit most from the demise of F1?
Touring cars 3 9.09%
GT 8 24.24%
Single Seaters (CART, F3000, IRL F3 etc...) 10 30.30%
Rally 2 6.06%
Motorcycling 1 3.03%
other 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 May 2002, 00:10 (Ref:289813)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would benefit most from the demise of F1?

If the F1 does decline into nothing, which genre would benefit most? My money would be on Rallying.
Old 19 May 2002, 00:14 (Ref:289816)   #2
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other non motor racing sports, certainly none of the above.

F1 is a unique case in that 90% of its worldwide audience are people who are not die hard motor sport enthusiasts. They would start watching more football, or tennis etc.
Old 19 May 2002, 00:22 (Ref:289817)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originaly posted by I ate Yoko Ono
Other non motor racing sports, certainly none of the above.

F1 is a unique case in that 90% of its worldwide audience are people who are not die hard motor sport enthusiasts. They would start watching more football, or tennis etc.
I agree.

If F1 died, no one would benefit, so I'm not even going to vote.

Any real motor racing fan probably watch these series anyway. The only viewers lost would be the casual viewers just interested in the spectacle of F1.
Old 19 May 2002, 00:43 (Ref:289830)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART may gain a few more followers as an alternative, but even that's not too healthy at the moment.

More people may start watching Touring Cars, but the cross-over wouldn't be that great.

Most people would just turn their attention back to their national sports.
Old 19 May 2002, 00:52 (Ref:289836)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to agree in parts. An immense number of people would simply turn off auto racing. Rallying would get more exposure, but at present, CART isn't ready to fill the void, and sports and touring car series aren't compelling enough.

Now, if we had a touring car series based on the DTM rules and brought in more manufacturers and a more global perspective, we might have something. Makes for great, close, aggressive, and above all, fast, racing.

If manufacturers like Honda, Toyota, and others come into the IRL, such a series _could_ be made a bit more likely because you'd suddenly have a lot of DTM-style engines out there. I'd certainly watch!
Old 19 May 2002, 01:24 (Ref:289844)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to agree in parts. An immense number of people would simply turn off auto racing. Rallying would get more exposure, but at present, CART isn't ready to fill the void, and sports and touring car series aren't compelling enough.

Now, if we had a touring car series based on the DTM rules and brought in more manufacturers and a more global perspective, we might have something. Makes for great, close, aggressive, and above all, fast, racing.

If manufacturers like Honda, Toyota, and others come into the IRL, such a series _could_ be made a bit more likely because you'd suddenly have a lot of DTM-style engines out there. I'd certainly watch!
Old 19 May 2002, 01:34 (Ref:289847)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote: "F1 is a unique case in that 90% of its worldwide audience are people who are not die hard motor sport enthusiasts"

WOOOW! That qualifies me in the remaining 10% i guess. I don't watch soccer matches, besides world cup semi finals and finals, let alone watch tennis or golf.

But strangely, nobody thought that Premier 1 would benefit quite greatly too with their biggest "rival" down?

But besides F1, the few other categories of racing that really appeals to me is DTM, GT, Touring car, MotoGP. But i have no prob with watching other racing formats either.
Old 19 May 2002, 04:29 (Ref:289893)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would benefit most from the demise of F1?
In the last ten or so years EVERYBODY!!!!!
Old 19 May 2002, 04:39 (Ref:289894)   #9
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART
Old 20 May 2002, 12:23 (Ref:290248)   #10
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

But strangely, nobody thought that Premier 1 would benefit quite greatly too with their biggest "rival" down?

As soon as I saw the thread (about 2 mins ago) I tjhought of te new Premier1 series. It seems the obvious answer, as it'll be running at similar sppeds. I'll be following it anyway, as my club Leeds United were the first to unveil their new car.
Old 20 May 2002, 12:47 (Ref:290281)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
No disrespect intended towards our American cousins, but I don't see Cart benefiting from a demise in Formula 1, mainly because Cart is for the majority a US based race series. I'm not suggesting it's not a good race series, but it is very centered within the States.

Lee writes a good article about a DTM style series but it wouldn't take long for that to get up to the cost levels of Formula 1.

There's probably nothing that would replace Formula 1 as it is unique in it's audience attraction.
Old 20 May 2002, 13:06 (Ref:290330)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART for sure, with some road events in europe ans less US events it would be the new F1

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 May 2002, 14:56 (Ref:290467)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 isn't going away. It has no rivals.

The odd thing about F1 is that it is a team sport, a manufacturer's sport, which is followed by millions of people that don't appreciate it for what it is.
Old 21 May 2002, 15:33 (Ref:291612)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, hypothetically either sportscars or other single seaters. I don't know about oval racing, IMO it symbolises the number 1 reason why a lot of people don't like motorsport ("It's just going round and round and round" etc)
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 21 May 2002, 19:04 (Ref:291785)   #15
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART would mostly likely benefit. Sportscars would not be far behind.
Old 21 May 2002, 19:29 (Ref:291807)   #16
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not suggesting it would benefit from the demise of F1 but sportscars/gt racing may be the closest equivalent. The cars' power is closest to F1, the races are already at the major international tracks and the races themselves are longer. Wether or not it is as 'compelling' as present F1 is not an issue that can be tackled objectively by anyone from the 10% who like motor racing as against major sporting events in general!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2499199)   #17
acotrel65
Rookie

acotrel65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rarely ever watch F1 races, to me it resembles a good brisk game of lawn bowls, however I would never join those who are against F1. As a scientist I'm aware of what's involved in technology development. Any opportunity to work at the 'cutting edge' is valuable.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2499204)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Moot point - ain't gonna happen baby.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2499296)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Moot point - ain't gonna happen baby.
Agreed.I voted for 'other' Whatever evolves at the top race series employing the best drivers will get most support regardless of what it is called.Maybe its different in the USA where NASCAR is better known than F1 already?