Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Nov 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2060955)   #1
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
chevy34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watts link pivot mounting

Can any one help me with why its better to mount the watt's link centre pivot off the chassis rather than the axle housing?

I understand roll centres and the afect raising and lowering has on handling I am in the process of building a touring car similar to a V8 Supercar and at this stage have the pivot mounted off the axle housing. I have just got my hands on a V8 supercar watt's link setup that mounts to the chassis and has the screew type adjuster and have been told that this is the prefered option but I cant get a straight answer on why its better to have the piviot on the chassis.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2060988)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's much easier to make it adjustable when it's chassis mounted, compared to a diff mounted unit.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2061102)   #3
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Constant roll centre height when mounted to chassis?? Think the roll centre would be constantly moving up and down with the diff the other way making things a bit iffy but I'm no expert
Old 7 Nov 2007, 00:43 (Ref:2061710)   #4
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unsprung weight ?
Old 7 Nov 2007, 07:15 (Ref:2061820)   #5
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
The adjustibality reason is the main reson why we are goining to the V8 Supercar watt's link I have read that putting the pivot on the chassis keeps the roll centre constant with the centre of gravity.
Is this the reason why it is better mounted to the chassis if so what effect does it have on the handling?
Old 7 Nov 2007, 22:30 (Ref:2062506)   #6
coln72
Racer

The roll centre adjustment alters the balance of the car. If the pivot is mounted to the diff, the cars balance will alter with suspension movement.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:39 (Ref:2062792)   #7
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might not be physically possible, but it would probably be an interesting, and perhaps beneficial, characteristic.

Under brakes the rear rises and RRC gets higher and helps the car turn. As you drive off the corner the rear goes into compression, the RRC gets lower and helps the driver.

Perfect!
Old 9 Nov 2007, 03:00 (Ref:2063467)   #8
coln72
Racer

All I know is that Johnson's "Greens Tuff" Falcon handled like a box until they swapped the mount from the diff to the body.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 07:59 (Ref:2066279)   #9
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
Chears guys I was wondering if it was to do with the pitch off the chassis under brakes and drive and the roll centre moving in the direction you would want it to in these situations. And it seams I was on the right train of thought with that one.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 08:33 (Ref:2077777)   #10
Momus
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne Australia
Momus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy34
Chears guys I was wondering if it was to do with the pitch off the chassis under brakes and drive and the roll centre moving in the direction you would want it to in these situations. And it seams I was on the right train of thought with that one.
I've made and fitted dozens of Watts links over the years, conventionl and Very Low Roll Center assymetric ones.
Most have been with a chassis mounted rocker and I usually don't hear anything negative about the handling change when they are done that way.
When I'm asked the theory and pros and cons I am happy to reply that I am a bit unsure but feel as if the fixed roll center and unsprung weight COG moving to gether are beneficial.
Remember that the lower the Watts rocker's pivot is the lwr the RC will be and the body will move around that center with a different arc, so clearances need to be kept in mind.
RC height is used as in concert with stabiliser bars as a defacto roll stiffness.roll axis tuning tool. A low rear RC will usually give good results provided you have enough bar to keep the body stable.