Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Aug 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1073781)   #1
AllofaSutton
Rookie

AllofaSutton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to Portland?

What happened, it was looking good then nothing.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1073782)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The IRL decided that they didn't want Portland afterall...

They're going with ChampCar for three more years.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1073789)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure the IRL ever really committed itself fully to going after Portland. I think it was more a matter of Portland coming to the IRL, because it looked as though they weren't going to have a race there for awhile.

In a way I'm glad, because I really don't want to see this series only go after CC tracks, and I don't want to see it jump into to many road courses to quickly either. Obviously, we watch this series for the ovals, and road courses should be kept to a minimum, and just be something to be thrown in for variety, IMHO, of course.

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Aug 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1073890)   #4
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You watch, we'll probably end up going through this again next year.
Yes, I know PIR has signed for 3 years with CC, but you never know what will happen next year.
ps...GP, I sent you a PM.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1074026)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
still Portland is a great little track , i'd like to see them there , but its not to be so its on to another road course.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1075217)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
The IRL decided that they didn't want Portland afterall...

They're going with ChampCar for three more years.

Actually, the dates that Portland was hoping to schedule the race were in conflict with other existing IRL dates at tracks like Michigan, Milwaukee, etc....

The IRL wanted to work something out, but not at the expense of hurting a promoter with whonm they already have a relationship with....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Aug 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1075327)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to mention the IRL was never involved in any discussions with Portland - Peter Jacobsen Productions was the one who filed a proposal on "behalf" of the IRL despite not having a deal in place.

Of course, many people tend to ignore this so they can blame the IRL for the circus that surrounded Portland there for a while.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 00:26 (Ref:1077552)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller quotes the pompous blovinator, Paul Gentilozzi, with this, "I told people that the IRL was just messing around, and never intended to race at Portland".

He is so smug, and condecending, and just knows everything! He's so damn smart, isn't he? He's a legend in his own mind, just ask him! He knew exactly what the IRL was up to, AGAIN! Amazing. Say what you want about TG, but you never hear such childish and smug comments from him. He's a pro.

In case you couldn't tell, everything that comes out of PG's mouth, just rubs me raw!

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Aug 2004, 05:02 (Ref:1077630)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Well... He was right, wasn't he?
Ironic that you call him condescending.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 06:18 (Ref:1077651)   #10
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

He is so smug, and condecending, and just knows everything! He's so damn smart, isn't he? He's a legend in his own mind, just ask him! He knew exactly what the IRL was up to, AGAIN!
Oh, you mean Gentilozzi. I thought you were talking about Robin Miller for a second...LOL
Old 26 Aug 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1078087)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Well... He was right, wasn't he?
Ironic that you call him condescending.
Actually, macdaddy, Paul Gentilozi WAS wrong...

The IRL did have a legitimate interest in the possibility of racing at Portland...

However, the dates that Portland wanted in late July were already signed, sealed, and delivered for next year with Milwaukee and Michigan, and the IRL did not want to change those dates with promoters that they are already have a working relationship with....

The whole Portland issue had ZERO to do with "The IRL messing around" with Portland....

and Mr. Unger (with the IRL) also has said that they would be interested in racing in Portland in the future...maybe 2006...if a date can be worked out....

So GP Racer is actually correct...just another example of Mr. Gentilozzi being a blowhard who spouts half-truths or zero-truths....

Old 27 Aug 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1079349)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the conflicting dates were signed, sealed and delivered for next year, then why did the IRL show any interest at all? That doesn't make sense. And don't tell me that it was all PJP fault. I just don't believe that they went to Portland without discussing anything with the IRL and decided to make a proposal to Portland without consent. Maybe the IRL wasn't "messing around with Portland" but so far I see no reason to believe that they weren't, and certainly there is no proof that Gentilozzi was wrong.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1079402)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Because they have a great interest in racing in a market where they currently do not have a presence....the Pacific Northwest....

All I can do is refer to what Mr. Unger said all along concerning Portland, and ultimately why they did not reach an agreement to race there....those were the reasons stated by him as to why they could not reach an agreement with Portland....

Thus the only way that Gentilozzi ISN'T wrong is if Mr. Unger is a liar....

I don't know him personally, and have never even met him...but from what I've been told, he is a straight-shooter....

which is more than I can say for Mr. Gentilozzi...

Old 27 Aug 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1079475)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW...

If you're wondering why I feel that way about Mr. gentilozzi, just pay a little visit to the "Paul Gentilozzi Speaks Out" thread in the Champ Car Forum...

I outlined a number of things pertaining to his "dealings" and his "word" with both race teams and with a particular vendor with whom he had contract as the head of the Trans-Am Series...

Neither he, nor anyone from Trans-Am has stepped forward to refute a single syllable of it....

Old 27 Aug 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1079517)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
Maybe the IRL wasn't "messing around with Portland" but so far I see no reason to believe that they weren't, and certainly there is no proof that Gentilozzi was wrong.
So then why say it?!

Whether Gentilozzi is right or wrong, and I happen to believe he is wrong here, why does he insist on making these childish little digs at the IRL? Why couldn't he show some class, for once, and just say "I'm glad it worked out for us".

PG reminds me of the kid who loses 9-out-of-10 games, and when he finally wins one, he can't pass-up the opportunity to stick it in your face.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1081588)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Wonder how Mr. Gentilozzi will spin the St. Pete announcement that it will host the IRL in 2005???

Of course, they (the IRL) could be "messin' around" with everyone again.....

I can't wait to read his response!!!!

It ought to be priceless!!!!!