Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Mar 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1536448)   #1
my63gs
Rookie

my63gs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Union/Mercedes Help

Hi all, I'm in the first steps of a research paper where I'll be analyzing the influence of the Nazi party on German motorsports, specifically the Auto Union and Mercedes grand prix teams. I'd like to focus on the politics behind drivers such as Hans Stuck and Bernd Rosemeyer; for example whether they were forced to support the party or willingly did so. Does anyone know of any literature out there that tackles these issues? I'd appreciate any help I can get on the topic, thanks.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1536615)   #2
Steve L
Rookie

Steve L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off the top of my head, good books which may/probably do contain what you are looking for which are not too difficult to find: -

"Racing the Silver Arrows" by Chris Nixon
"Rosemeyer" by Ellie Rosemeyer (Bernd's wife)

....plus a few more, the names of which I can't remember!

I'll try and check later this week.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1536626)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How's your German? There's a recently published doctoral thesis by Dorothee Hochstetter called 'Motorisierung und "Volksgemeinschaft": das Nationalsozialistische Kraftfahrkorps (NSKK) 1931-1945.' Publisher is Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, Munich.

You may also come across a book called 'Driving Forces - the Grand Prix World caught in the Maelstrom of the Third Reich' by Peter Stevenson. Treat this with EXTREME caution, since the author, while growing up in the USA in the 1950s, seems to have come to his own conclusions about the subject and, when he eventually wrote the book, has sometimes fitted the facts to his theories rather than the other way round.

I hope the mods won't mind, but we have had extensive discussions about this subject at the Atlas Nostalgia Forum BB: here's a link to just one of the many threads there.

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...376post2207376

There's also much of interest at the 8W site:

http://8w.forix.com/index.html

Bob Marley
Old 6 Mar 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1537017)   #4
my63gs
Rookie

my63gs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your help guys! Unfortunately I do not speak or read German, but I'll try my best nonetheless.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1539531)   #5
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It also might be worth reading Christopher Hilton's "Hitler's Grands Prix in Englandonington 1937 and 1938". Again, same caveats apply.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1539535)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look into the politics of the 1937 Avusrennen
Old 7 Mar 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1539621)   #7
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Look into the politics of the 1937 Avusrennen
In what sense, Sam?

Apart from the record cars, the Avus was the only place in Europe where the German GP teams ran with the swastika displayed after 1934. They also used it at the 1936 Vanderbilt Cup, but that was on the insistence of the organisers!

Obviously, Charlie Martin rather upset the applecart by winning the prize for best performance by a foreigner, which should no doubt have gone to an Italian (ideally Nuvolari) in a spirit of Axis fraternity. Or did you mean something else?

Bob Marley
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1545294)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You may find this story interesting. Also, any books by George Monkhouse will be helpful. I read one or two years ago.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1545607)   #9
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
The link posted by foxy mole should be read with caution by those unfamiliar with the political allegiances of British newspapers. The Observer, now part of the same group as the Guardian, has always been a "liberal" (ie left-leaning) paper. One part of that review mentions that "Seaman's death was reported in Britain in a couple of paragraphs in the Daily Telegraph" as if that was the only obituary. Now, neither the Guardian (the unofficial organ of the Labour Party) nor the Daily Telegraph (the traditional standard-bearer of the Conservative Party) are available online in archive form, but I have just checked the online archive of The Times (then a newspaper of record). The Times dedicated two-thirds of a column to his obituary in their issue of June 27th 1939. There was also a personal appreciation of similar length by Lord Cottenham published in the issue of July 1st 1939. Lords Waleran and Selsdon also contributed a short piece on July 6th.

Bob Marley
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1548267)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
For goodness sake! I didn't suggest that the article in the link I posted was definitive, merely that it was interesting, particularly in response to the post that started this thread.

The books by George Monkhouse are probably more relevant and rounded in their approach, although from what I remember they dealt more with the motor racing and the drivers than the politics. Or perhaps those were the aspects that interested me.