Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Jan 2022, 17:13 (Ref:4092216)   #1
Peter L
Rookie

Peter L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Pope Special - info needed

Hi all.

I'm a 1:43 scale model builder and my actual project is the John Pope Special Vauxhall Magnum Aston Martin Turbo (what a a name ...) from the mid 70s Tricentrol championship. Like for most of the other Super Saloons of this era I couldn't find any kit or model, so I have done a few of them on my own. For the Pope Magnum I couldn't even find a Magnum saloon to start with and had to convert a Firenza Model.

The project has entered a stage now, where I am relatively confident that it could become a decent model, so I did have a go on the details like the decals. While the pics available on the net are good enough to understand the shape of the car, I am now struggling with some of the sponsor stickers, especially on the doors and rear fenders. Some as Champion or Ferodo are pretty obvious, but for most of the other I do have no idea to which company they belong.

Does anyone have any higher res pics or any idea what stickers were used on this car? Unfortunately John Pope has died some time ago as far as I know and his own website, where he had a complete history of the car, is no longer active.

For reference (copyright unknown) - this is the vehicle, I am looking for:

This is the actual WiP:

.... and these are two other Superloons from the same era I did some time ago

Many thanks in advance,
Kind regards

Peter
Old 3 Jan 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4092277)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember reading somewhere over the last 12 months that someone is restoring this very car. If you can find out who that is they should be able to give you all the information that you need.
Old 3 Jan 2022, 10:47 (Ref:4092285)   #3
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is back out and running having been restored by Geoff Harris - he used to race Astons and a T70

He runs an engineering company in Twyford and if you drop him an email I'm sure he will help
Old 3 Jan 2022, 12:58 (Ref:4092295)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
The car is back out and running having been restored by Geoff Harris - he used to race Astons and a T70

He runs an engineering company in Twyford and if you drop him an email I'm sure he will help
Here's his website link with contact details

http://www.geoff-harris.co.uk/tablet/contact.html
Old 3 Jan 2022, 14:41 (Ref:4092314)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Pope was a mate of Gerry Marshall. Perhaps Gregor may have some useful knowledge/pictures.

I have seen photos (possibly on here) of the renovated car and it looks far better now than it ever did in period.
Old 3 Jan 2022, 15:09 (Ref:4092320)   #6
Peter L
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the info on Geoff Harris. I have already mailed him and will see if he responds.

Kind regards
Peter
Old 3 Jan 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4092321)   #7
Peter L
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
John Pope was a mate of Gerry Marshall. Perhaps Gregor may have some useful knowledge/pictures.

I have seen photos (possibly on here) of the renovated car and it looks far better now than it ever did in period.

You're right, but this is true for most of the restored cars that are back in business now.

The Gregor you are referring to - is this Gerry's son? And how can he be contacted?

Kind regards
Peter
Old 4 Jan 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4092428)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is indeed Gerry's son, Gregor. He is a poster on this forum. He has posted on the 'Special/Super Salloons' thread in the Chassis History part of the forum. I'm sure he would respond to a private message from you.
Old 22 Feb 2022, 15:20 (Ref:4099745)   #9
Trevor Ford
Rookie

Trevor Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having the same problem myself. I'm building a 1/32 slot car but finding it hard to find period photos. The rebuild is different from the original in a lot of ways. Think I will end up with a compromise
Old 25 Feb 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4100185)   #10
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you know the adress of John Pope's old website you might be able to find it using the Internet Wayback Machine where it may be archived.

https://archive.org/web/
Old 17 Apr 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4107049)   #11
Peter L
Rookie

Just wanted to say thank you to all the forum members that supported me with pics and further information. This was a tremendous help for my attempt to get a decent model of this highly unusual car.

This is how the model looks like in the end:

Once again, thank you for your help
kind regards
Peter