Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:13 (Ref:835627)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat -Racing Rivals

Yes I know i've been watching the re-runs on Bravo but I just can't believe how awful the driving was !

Is it just me or did Huff come accross as a spoilt brat full of himself ?

I'm not sure if I can watch the entire series - can someone put me out of my misery and let me know who won ?

Tiptop
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:19 (Ref:835634)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
If you don't like Huffy then may I suggest you quit watching now as you'll not enjoy the remainder of the series!

When are these repeats on BTW? I only saw a couple when they were on originally...
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:22 (Ref:835639)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Sunday about 1pm-ish and repeated during the week, or maybe Sunday is the repeat cos I saw a bit of yesterdays one last week.
Who was the dipstick who slammed his brakes on coming out of the hairpin?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:33 (Ref:835650)   #4
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Huffy's actually a nice bloke - and yes he did win and will be in the BTCC with Seat this year. And yes, the driving did appear to leave a lot to be desired - while the clios are always close and full of incident, they were usually quite clean; the Seats did seem to have a couple of drivers who thought it was a destruction derby. Let's hope that running with the BTCC will clean them up as at least the CoC has lots of experience with both BTCC and Clios!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:38 (Ref:835657)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Okay, thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for the repeats
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:46 (Ref:835673)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's on Saturday and Sunday at 1pm and 7pm both days on Bravo and an hour later on Bravo+
Sunday will be the repeats

Last edited by Tim Falce; 12 Jan 2004 at 17:48.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:25 (Ref:835902)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huffy's comment about the Croft qualifying smash - I had a little paddy...
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:50 (Ref:836372)   #8
mystery racer
Rookie

mystery racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it just me or did Huff come accross as a spoilt brat full of himself ?
I don't agree with that myself! Any sportsperson has to be confident - if you don't believe in yourself when you start out, how can you expect others to? Besides he proved himself so at least there was some substance to his chat - unlike a lot of drivers!

The Croft incident wasn't that bad to me - you've got to remember how fired up these guys are during and just after a race (which often sees famous sports people react in unexpected ways) and with what was at stake - the biggest prize in UK motorsport - I'd have thrown a "paddy" too! So it's quite easy to laugh at it from the outside, but all it requires is a tiny bit of empathy to understand what these competitors are going through...

It makes me laugh when fans cry out for characters "like the good old days" but when it happens we complain . Do we really want to see Robots taking over everything and watch motorsport well and truely go down the pan? But I suppose that is the nature of characters - they provoke emotions in people who either like them or not. At least you're talking about it so that can't be bad!

Rant over
Old 13 Jan 2004, 10:13 (Ref:836395)   #9
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dissagree! you can still be confident with your abilities but still be a good sportsman and without turning into a robot. I watched the incident when he slammed into the back of the seat on the straight and admit that he did brake hard......but Huff wasn't blameless either (he has a pedal in the middle) after the incident he spoke to the chappy and blamed him entirely.

I would of had words with him before he stomped off.....
Old 13 Jan 2004, 12:28 (Ref:836540)   #10
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mystery racer
The Croft incident wasn't that bad to me - you've got to remember how fired up these guys are during and just after a race (which often sees famous sports people react in unexpected ways) and with what was at stake - the biggest prize in UK motorsport - I'd have thrown a "paddy" too! So it's quite easy to laugh at it from the outside, but all it requires is a tiny bit of empathy to understand what these competitors are going through...
I watched this programme too and I have to say the standard of driving was appalling. The Croft incident was avoidable and the fact that it happened during practice should have resulted in both drivers being hauled upstairs and being severely reprimanded.

I was horrified when I heard two drivers (can't remember which ones) saying that they were going to have to learn how to retaliate on the track as well. I sincerely hope that the CoC for the series is aware of this and makes sure that a close watch is kept on those two in the future. Motor sport is a non-contact sport and its people like these two who are bringing into disrepute.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 13:26 (Ref:836622)   #11
mystery racer
Rookie

By "The Croft Incident" I mean the expression of emotion - not the crash itself. (The crash will always be open to debate about who was to blame and if it was avoidable or not but that is not what I was getting at.)

Drivers talk about having each other off all the time in a tongue-in-cheek manor - but I have to agree it did back fire on a couple of them when contact was made - they looked a little silly! But I suppose that was what the show was all about - you really got to see behind the scenes which made it quite interesting viewing regardless of how right or wrong things were...
Old 13 Jan 2004, 18:55 (Ref:836978)   #12
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
I spent most of the time laughing like at the likes of the 'brown paper envelopes' - it ended up like a farce. OK emotions run very high - everyone has to blow off a bit of steam and it doesn't stop at the 'lower levels' of racing - there are plenty of tantrums/paddies at every level. And to be honest racing would be dead boring without the emotion.

That doesn't mean to say I liked the driving - rubbing mirrors - fine, a bit of a nudge - fine, being a nasty bit of work and trying to throw people off the circuit - isn't.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:41 (Ref:837230)   #13
hogmany
Rookie

hogmany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila M,

Just to pick up on the points you made:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
[B] drivers being hauled upstairs and being severely reprimanded.
I know both drivers were spoken to after the incident.

Quote:
I sincerely hope that the CoC for the series is aware of this and makes sure that a close watch is kept on those two in the future.
The Clerk for the series, one of the most experienced in the country, did (note past tense) keep a close watch on these guys, and a number of others as well.

Not everything that happened, or was said, was shown in the programme, the producers just picked the bits that they thought made the "best television"........
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:26 (Ref:837796)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hogmany

I know both drivers were spoken to after the incident.

The Clerk for the series, one of the most experienced in the country, did (note past tense) keep a close watch on these guys, and a number of others as well.

I'm glad to hear it. I know we marshals hate this kind of behaviour but unfortunately because it was highlighted in the programme spectators and wannabe racing drivers may think that this is acceptable, which of course it isn't. Good clean close racing is what SHOULD happen!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 01:47 (Ref:838737)   #15
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The funny part of the whole incident was when Huffy went moaning and greeting to his dad. Huffy by nane Huffy by nature. He should have grown up and got on with the job. If he tries some of his antics on the BTCC in 2004 hell have a shock instore. Those guys wont stand for his push and barge attitude. Might have a shock. Mind you its in the UK so dads on hand to take it on himself to go bothering other driver for him. Oh not to forget the good old moan (OH NOT HIS GIRLFRIEND THIS TIME).

I agree the driving standards need to improve. I dont see the same happening this year. CoC will make sure of that im sure.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:39 (Ref:840931)   #16
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Rivals was denititley different, but the coverage of the races themselves was pretty poor, and that commentator was abysmal. Nell McAndrew is really fit though. I met her at Oulton Park, and she was actually really nice as well.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 22:40 (Ref:841016)   #17
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Hamish Weir
The funny part of the whole incident was when Huffy went moaning and greeting to his dad. Huffy by nane Huffy by nature. He should have grown up and got on with the job.
So first qualifying session in a new car, pumped up, on a flying lap and then the car ends up smashed. And you are supposed to get out and calmly get on with the job? Steam was vented - that's all and that's what dad's, wives and girl friends are for
Old 17 Jan 2004, 15:11 (Ref:841597)   #18
Hamish Weir
Rookie

So you wouldn’t go and chat with driver yourself and find out what happened and why? You would send your girlfriend, Wife or dad instead? WHAT!!!!! You never know when you need that person onside. E.g. championship at stake and your behind this guy who may not be in contention for the championship. STRATEGY.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 15:20 (Ref:841609)   #19
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Sorry I misunderstood - all I have seen is Rob and his dad talking about it on the box. I assume you are saying dad/girlfriend went over and talked to the other driver, I should think that happens all the time. And as for strategy - this was the first qualifying for first race wasn't it? Shouldn't think there was any strategy involved.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 15:30 (Ref:841616)   #20
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Obviously not on Huffs part anyhow (Strategy). If it had been the last race it wouldn’t matter who went up and spoke to him. Cause it was the first race just means it’s a long season if you upset a few drivers. And as for strategy do you race? Any good? Cause strategy should always be there. As I said above if you need to get by someone in a hurry to try and get points or what ever you may just need some friends in the field.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 17:22 (Ref:841671)   #21
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
well said Les.

I trhought the SEAT Were fabulous and i know the series will go from strength to strength
Old 17 Jan 2004, 17:46 (Ref:841685)   #22
Hamish Weir
Rookie

I see you would send mummy to speak to the other boys in the park then Jamie P-E
Old 17 Jan 2004, 17:50 (Ref:841687)   #23
Hamish Weir
Rookie

The point of SEAT going from strength to strenght isnt the point in doubt. Although the driving standards were bad in some races I will be keeping an eye out for the new season to start.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 18:24 (Ref:841705)   #24
mystery racer
Rookie

Hamish, let's not forget that it was a TV show with many hours of edited footage - can you be really sure that Rob didn't chat to Karl before we saw his dad talking to him?

Anyway, does it really matter?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 19:53 (Ref:841773)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
It's on now and repeated at 8pm and tomorrow 7pm Bravo and bravo +