Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2203988)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's the most heartbreaking moment you've seen in F1?

Having not been old enough to remember Senna's accident, mine would have to be Fuji '07, where 'our' Webber was robbed of a definate second and potential win by young Mr. Vettel.

I know we have a fair few people who have been following F1 for more then 4 decades so I thought this thread might be interesting.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 May 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2204004)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In response to the original thread title. I didn't know the heart had a 'braking' system. If it did then i think mine uses an ABS braking system although i will need to get back to you on that.

Also as regards to the Webber incident, are you sure you didn't mean the funniest moment?

Last edited by ralf fan; 16 May 2008 at 13:28.
Old 16 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2204013)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Before anybody else can make fun of Chatters for his spelling error, I've edited the thread title.

Anyway...most heartbreaking moment I've seen? Probably Damon Hill missing out on winning the 1997 Hungarian GP for Arrows by just a couple of laps. I was absolutely gutted.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 May 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2204018)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thankfully in the time that i have watched f1 we have had no fatalities. Certainly was too small to remember Imola.
For me it would be seeing Luca Badoer standing weeping beside his stricken Minardi as he retired from 4rth place. Never scored a point either.
Old 16 May 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2204037)   #5
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Mansell having his tyre blow out and missing out on the championship.

Alan
Old 16 May 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2204040)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Watkins Glen 1973, visiting the site of Cevert's accident just moments earlier.

Devastating.
Old 16 May 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2204071)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It may well have been watching Lewis Hamilton trying in vain to haul his McLaren out of that Chinese gravel trap.

Poor bloke.
Old 16 May 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2204095)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen looping it and then crying at Monza, Hakkinen clutch failure last lap Spa, Hakkinen brewery corner Adelaide, etc..
Old 16 May 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2204105)   #9
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon hill retiring in Aus 1994.

I was 6 at the time and I cried
Old 16 May 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2204106)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think leaving fatalities out of this thread might be best, as they are all equally tragic.
The most heartbreaking racing moments for me would be Hills Arrows breaking down in Hungary in 97, De Cesaris at Monaco in 82 or Larini at Montreal in 89.
Old 16 May 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2204114)   #11
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Hakkinen crying at Monza,It happened right in front of me!

Also going back a bit,Chris Amon, alway's finishing second !

Memories.
Old 16 May 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2204131)   #12
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correction int he post above, I think the Hakkinen clutch failure was in Spain.
Old 16 May 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2204148)   #13
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, 2001 that was - that'll be my vote.
Old 16 May 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2204194)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I prefer to say the first heartbreaking moment I've ever seen in F1.
The Senna-Mansell definition of the 1986 Spanish GP.
Old 16 May 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2204195)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barrichello breaking down two laps from the end of his 3rd race, while set to give Jordan their first podium after a fantastic drive in the wet, Donington 1993.
Old 16 May 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2204234)   #16
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Roland Ratzenberger's accident, didn't see it live but it still brings a tear to my eye.
Old 16 May 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2204242)   #17
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis, Canada 1997, just two races after his first win. he never fully came back from that. Awful accident. Or possibly Hill braking down at Hungary in that same season.
Old 16 May 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2204243)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen '99 at Monza.
Hamilton at China last year (even though im not a fan of Hamilton, infact I laughed like crazy, but what the hell)
Kubica's Montreal Crash gave me a mega fright at the time
Schumi crying when he announces his retirement
Hakkinen Clutch failure
DC at Monaco 2001

Fortunately im not old enough to remember any fatal accidents.
Old 16 May 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2204280)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think watching Ratzenberger and then Senna die on consecutive days was pretty heartbreaking, especially being so young at the time. I will never forget those two days as long as I live.

From the theatre point of view, Adelaide '94 was pretty heart wrenching. Say what you will about Hill being fortunate to be in contention for the title and that Schumacher was the best driver of the year (I won't disagree with you), but the fact was he had a chance, he was going to make it count and it was taken away dubiously. After the high of the Japanese GP, it was a pretty bitter thing. Most gutting.

Fisi and Badoer retiring from the European GP of 1999 was bad too, but the end result was still sweet.

The final stages of the 2003 season.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 16 May 2008 at 18:11.
Old 16 May 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2204285)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Being told that James Allen was to become Martin Brundles co-commentator.....but all of the above are really sad as well.
Old 16 May 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2204315)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Probably Hungary 1997, Arrows so close to their first victory, robbed on the last lap.
Old 16 May 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2204318)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Argh, forgot that one.
Old 16 May 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2204335)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ignoring the black days and just concentrating on the sporting heartbreaks.

There have been many. Mika seem to have a lot (and DC was meant to be the unlucky one!). Damon had a few running up to his first win too! Mansell's 1986 title loss is probably quite high (although Prosty winning was great).

However I go with Sodemo. I was stood at the back of the room in disbelief about how unfair the world was.
Old 16 May 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2204366)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim
Panis, Canada 1997, just two races after his first win. he never fully came back from that.
Sorry to be pedantic, but Panis won at Monaco in 1996, not 97.

Hill going out whilst leading at Monza in 1996 was a massive disappointment for me - it wasn't long after I'd started watching F1, and I think I'd got into the habit of just expecting him to win. And I still hold a grudge against whichever idiot thought stacks of tyres were a good way to stop people from cutting the chicanes.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 May 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2204368)   #25
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hill in hungary 97, absolutely gutted!!!!!