Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2008, 23:46 (Ref:2205046)   #51
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

Still, that is modern sport I suppose.
Sport or politic's ?
Old 17 May 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2205052)   #52
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spolitics.
Old 18 May 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2205479)   #53
zeus_m3
Rookie

China
Vanvouver, Canada
zeus_m3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher's engine blown in Japan 06.
Old 18 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2205501)   #54
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_m3
Could counter that one with Aonso's blow engine Monza 06, following of course, the "dodgy" penalty during qualifying.
Old 18 May 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2205961)   #55
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Your correct V that from a points perspective, one cancels out the other (though was Alonso leading at the time?).

I think Schumachers was more tragic than Alonso's due to the 'fairytale ending' angle. If Alonso had lost the championship over that, it would have been 'oh well, next time'. For us MS fans, he was making something look possible that a few races before wasn't, and it would have been a grand way to sign off. Brazil was a shame for the same reason.

I must say 2006 was the championship I wanted Michael to win the most. As it was, I still rate his last race as one of his best.

Though not a fan, I have to rate Damon @ Hungary as up there, Webber at Fuji as an Aussie, & Kimi at the Ring in '05.
Old 18 May 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2206017)   #56
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As someone that follows Mark Webber keenly and really believes he deserves to do well (mainly because he's a straightforward, hard-working bloke who has had to fight like mad to get anything in his career and has never been gifted a single thing), my two most heartbreaking moments have been:

- Seeing the Williams in a smoking heap on the exit of St Devote in 2006 after he ran with Kimi and Alonso all race.
- Seeing the Red Bull off the road and damaged at Fuji last year.

These are obviously excluding some obvious moments.

A few others:
- Jarno at A1 in the Prost.
- Damon in the Arrows at Hungary.
- Every single time Alex Zanardi's Williams broke down in 1999 - I think it was about 4,263 times.

I'm sure I can think of a few more...

No other sport can give you that moment of "what's happened here!?"

The first frame that we see of an incident always prompts an emotion of some sort - like the Fuji incident last year.

One of the great things about the sport - and unlike most others.

Last edited by mac; 18 May 2008 at 23:51.
Old 18 May 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2206023)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Had to get my Violin out for the first part of that last post.
Old 19 May 2008, 00:26 (Ref:2206036)   #58
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Had to get my Violin out for the first part of that last post.
The old "get the violin out" really is quite tired and unimaginative...

It's about as creative as people yelling "taxi" when someone knocks over a drink in a bar.

Last edited by mac; 19 May 2008 at 00:29.
Old 19 May 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2206042)   #59
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could remember vividly the crashes of 94' it would probably be that. To me its a vague inclination of something major and sad happening at the time as I was young.

In my memory, well the most personally heartbreaking moment was that first shot of Alonso in the gravel having crashed in Fuji (albeit his own fault for becoming desperate for the championship down in p7, where he would still have had 2 points to give him an eventual title win in hindsight). It effectively sealed the fate of losing a record 3rd straight title by age 26, all for a single point. Can you tell I'm still gutted? lol

It was just heartbreaking as a fan to realise that the driver you admired for being so calm and cool under pressure, in rain and fighting for a world championship not making decisive mistakes, suddenly felt so desperate in all those conditions.

At that moment, I was very aware how much I suddenly felt for Schumi fans in 2006 with the engine failure!

I agree with Mr V though, the penalty(s) was hearthbreaking but no less than expected.

Aside from that, I actually felt heartbroken for Rubens when he had to let Schumi pass in Austria. That gentle man...
Old 19 May 2008, 01:12 (Ref:2206052)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, heartbreaking moments... not those moments.

Anyway, apart from the fatalities, tragedies that I don't like to remember, here it goes...

Memories. That day, January the 27, 1980. Yes, my first GP, and everything was perfect. It was an exciting race, and the guy I supported was there fighting for the win. One of my favorite drivers in one of my all time favorite car, with my favorite number ! In my first GP ever, wow, it was so much to be true. Unfortunately, not everything was perfect and he came in second, he missed to become the youngest driver to win a GP, with only 20 years old... heartbreaking, and I don't like to talk about heartbreaking moments.
Old 19 May 2008, 01:21 (Ref:2206053)   #61
Saied
Rookie

England
Saied should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most heartbreaking for me that has yet to be mentioned was Schumacher stalling on the startline at Suzuka, 1998.
Old 19 May 2008, 02:28 (Ref:2206070)   #62
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_m3
And then Schumacher's retirement announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex
Your correct V that from a points perspective, one cancels out the other (though was Alonso leading at the time?).

I think Schumachers was more tragic than Alonso's due to the 'fairytale ending' angle. If Alonso had lost the championship over that, it would have been 'oh well, next time'. For us MS fans, he was making something look possible that a few races before wasn't, and it would have been a grand way to sign off. Brazil was a shame for the same reason.

I must say 2006 was the championship I wanted Michael to win the most. As it was, I still rate his last race as one of his best.
I agree.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 19 May 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2206085)   #63
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola 1994 and the subsequent driver tribute to Senna & RR at Monaco, with all the drivers holding the banner on the grid ... I have an unbelievable 3 minute montage video tribute to Senna synched to a beautifully haunting piece of music which brings tears to my eyes any time I watch it.
I learned to appreciate Ayrton much more in death than in life. Strange how that happens.

Zolder '82... Villenueve.

Schumi announcing his retirement. I miss watching him drive very much. It's almost a surgical procession now, with few personalities expressing themselves or allowed to due to PR requirements.
Old 19 May 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2206093)   #64
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There are to many, but a recent one was last year when Mark Webber got hit from behind in the Japanese GP with a chance of a win.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 19 May 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2206171)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk
... synched to a beautifully haunting piece of music which brings tears to my eyes any time I watch it.
Saudade?
Old 19 May 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2206241)   #66
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1984, Monaco GP, Clerk of the Course and Frenchman Jacky Ickx waving the chequered flag one lap to early and therefore giving the victory to his fellow countryman Alain Prost. Now that was heartbreaking...
Old 19 May 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2206247)   #67
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola 94 and Monaco 94 when the drivers were paying tribute to the lost drivers.

probably others but that stands out the most

ps actually watching Greg Moore's crash in 99 was pretty shocking also
Old 19 May 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2206286)   #68
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
1984, Monaco GP, Clerk of the Course and Frenchman Jacky Ickx waving the chequered flag one lap to early and therefore giving the victory to his fellow countryman Alain Prost. Now that was heartbreaking...
Jacky Ickx is Belgian Gerben.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2206294)   #69
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread should be renamed 'how to nit-pick'...

I'd go with Hakkinen's last-lap retirement at Spain in 2001. I reckon it was probably the race that made him decide to quit at the end of the year. He wasn't having the best of starts to the season, and when finally it looked like everything was coming together, his car grinds to a halt on the last lap!

Of more recent years...possibly Rubens at Interlagos in 2003 when he looked like having a great chance of winning. Overtook DC for the lead (or rather, DC made a mistake to let him past) and his car breaks down.

Forget Schumacher's retirement at Suzuka in 2006, in the last 6 years or so at Ferrari he could almost have forgotten what the term 'car failure' meant, as he never seemed to have any.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2206301)   #70
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, it has to be Luca Badoer crashing out of fourth place at the Nurburgring in 1999. He was absolutely beside himself and obviously had wanted it so badly. I really felt for him that day.
Old 19 May 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2206381)   #71
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
Jacky Ickx is Belgian Gerben.
I knew I should just stay put in the bike forum
Old 19 May 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2206386)   #72
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nigel Mansell in Canada 91 waving to the crowd on the last lap and stalling at the hairpin because he was waving so much he forgot to keep the revs up...no wait, that was bloody hillarious!!

Most heartbreaking for me were:

Germany 1989 when Prost was finally about to out race Senna and he lost 6th gear a lap and a half from home.

Spa 1991, DeCesaris in the Jordan sizing up the stricken Senna for what would have been a victory in debut season for Jordan only for the usually reliable HB to blow up.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2206538)   #73
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Saudade?
Your Song - Elton John
Old 19 May 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2206542)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh........

Haunting?
Old 19 May 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2206548)   #75
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk
Schumi announcing his retirement. I miss watching him drive very much. It's almost a surgical procession now, with few personalities expressing themselves or allowed to due to PR requirements.
Yes, you could say many things against Michael, but he lit up the sport (nee, the world) with his colourful and flamboyant personality. The sport is duller for it!

I do sometimes miss him being on the grid I must admit. But not often. Its the same with many drivers, you miss them in some ways but its better to move on.