Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2526078)   #1
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who should be in the Second Ferrari at Spa?

Obviously not Luca, but who?

Contenders could be Piquet, Bourdais, Davidson, Gene, Sato! but there are doubtless many others who you might consider. Dixon? Franchitti? Hulkenberg? Your thoughts are welcome...
Old 22 Aug 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2526082)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Badoer is such an embaressment that if Ferrari can't get a quick replacement they'd be better off just running a one car team and save the engines!

Maybe they'll give Gene a go?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2526090)   #3
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sato wont get it because Ferrari like their cars in on piece at the end of a race. Davidson wont because he's not flamboyant enough by virtue of being British, and I don't see Piquet or Bourdais getting a drive because they've got a reputation of under performing in worse cars then the Ferrari.

My money would be on either Gene or Hulkenberg. Or on them being too lazy and leaving Badoer in.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2526097)   #4
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they'll give Luca another run at Spa. If nothing else he obviously provides good technical feedback (being their main tester for many years).With the championships out of reach for them, having their tester out there providing information on the car could be worth more than having someone else come in for a guest drive.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2526099)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ferrari will only replace Badoer in case Schumacher or Massa can drive. If they put Gene in, the regulations won't allow Ferrari to have Schumacher in it.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2526110)   #6
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Badoer has had his go, so let him go back to testing and he can say he did race for Ferrari (ok only once and slowly!)

I'd like to see Bourdais given a go, F3000 champion, multi champ car champion, scored plenty of points last year of all the people ready to step into that car he'd be at the top of the list.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2526118)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I think Ferrari will only replace Badoer in case Schumacher or Massa can drive. If they put Gene in, the regulations won't allow Ferrari to have Schumacher in it.
Here is the regulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 19.1
a) During a season each team will be permitted to use four drivers. Changes may be made at any time before the start of the qualifying practice session provided any change proposed after 16.00 on the day of scrutineering receives the consent of the stewards.
Additional changes for reasons of force majeure will be considered separately.
Does that exempt them from the four driver limit, or change time limit (4pm Thursday?). If the former, Badoer won't count.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2526123)   #8
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under the old percentage of pole qualifying time rule Luca would be on his way home by now, and so he should be there are enough mobile chicanes as it is.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2526132)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari already essentially have 3 drivers (Alonso, Massa, Raikkonen) fighting for 2 seats for 2010, and they can't win either title this year, so they don't necessarily need another driver to come in and shine. Unless Massa decides that he can't return after Kimi has committed to another team (or to retirement/rallying), they won't need another racer next year. The idea of bringing in Fisichella to race for now and then become a tester doesn't make a huge amount of sense either - they have two good test drivers who have hardly been involved this year as it is.

It's such a shame that Badoer's hard-earnmt reputation has taken a knock this weekend. I guess the lack of 2009 track time coupled with a lack of racing experience in recent years, plus his age, have all worked against him. Hopefully his reputation won't be damaged too much by this blip.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2526137)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Under the old percentage of pole qualifying time rule Luca would be on his way home by now, and so he should be there are enough mobile chicanes as it is.
No where near.
The rule was 107% of the pole time. In Q1 Button was quickest at 1m38.531, 107% is 1m45.428s. Badoer did a 1m41.413 (102.9%).
People have been on pole with more in hand over second place in the past!

That won't make him an overly dangerous mobile chicane; especially with the blue flag rule.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2526138)   #11
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Martin Brundle had two good points during the quali commentary.

1, Martin said "I think they should have put me in the car, at least I could have commentated during the race to add a little interest"

LOL

2, He suggested Piquet and I agree, He is not as bad a driver as his Renault experience has suggested, he's race fit, he's experienced in the grip levels and racing style of this season and Ferrari have got nothing to lose by giving him a shot.

Perry McCarthy
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2526141)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Jonathan Summerton.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2526147)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Jonathan Summerton.
To do what exactly?

I think Piquet would be a good bet....and then possibly he'll let his son have a go.

Piquet or Bourdais would have been a better choice than Badoer anyway.Sometimes you just can't figure out Ferrari!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2526148)   #14
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm wondering what he's even doing as a test driver. I mean, surely data gathered from somebody who is 3 seconds a lap off a good pace is pretty worthless data when you're trying to develop a racing car?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2526150)   #15
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im with rallycrosscraig... give Bourdais a go before PK Jr. I think he jsut couldnt make it work at STR which was a shame. He doesnt throw cars away like PK and i think his claim that he needs the team to be able to set cars up to suit him and his style is fair. He no doubt struggles in being able to wrestle cars not to his liking, but the guy is a class steerer
Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2526158)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh, only qualifying done and already we have people with pitchforks and machete's gathering around like an angry mob for Luca's head.

Wonderful.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2526163)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I don't think that anyone thinks that Badoer is doing anything other than his best.It's just that there were others available who could probably have done better.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2526185)   #18
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Oooh, only qualifying done and already we have people with pitchforks and machete's gathering around like an angry mob for Luca's head.

Wonderful.
Well, he was 3 seconds off the pace. Which, if done in a GP2 car, would be good! OK, maybe it's unfair to compare him to the front runners. But he was 1.5 seconds slower than Alguersuari, despite being in a better car. And 2 seconds slower then fellow F1 débutante Grosjean. And 19 year old Algersuari, in his first ever F1 qualy in Hungary, was only 4 tenths slower then the next car. So I don't think its too much of a leap to say Badoer isn't cut out for it, sadly.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2526187)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes but Luca has not driven a car in anger for ten years..
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2526189)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yes but Luca has not driven a car in anger for ten years..
I guess the point is that both Piquet and Bourdais have,with possibly Piquet leading in the "anger" stakes,although it would be close.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2526193)   #21
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I guess the point is that both Piquet and Bourdais have,with possibly Piquet leading in the "anger" stakes,although it would be close.
And also, that there are quick drivers in GP2 that could have been much more effective. Grosjean qualified alright on his first go in the Renault, I could have seen a Hulkenberg driven Ferrari fighting to get into Q3.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2526203)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well there are many drivers who would get better results aren't there, but for reasons best known to Ferrari they have chosen Luca
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2526204)   #23
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should, and will, stick with Luca. I for one want to see how he goes at Monza, he should be with the programme by then, the KERS will help him no end and Italians are generally worth a second at home, seeing as they call on the ghosts of the Monza greats like Brambilla and Cazanigga.

I am surprised Nicholas Todt hasnt tried to squeeze Bourdais in there though, maybe that shows Ferraris current management are making a political statement to Jean to say "eff orf we are a different team now you have left".
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2526209)   #24
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Well Sato wont get it because Ferrari like their cars in on piece at the end of a race. Davidson wont because he's not flamboyant enough by virtue of being British, and I don't see Piquet or Bourdais getting a drive because they've got a reputation of under performing in worse cars then the Ferrari.

My money would be on either Gene or Hulkenberg. Or on them being too lazy and leaving Badoer in.
Hard to imagine anybody being that lazy...
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2526214)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post

I am surprised Nicholas Todt hasnt tried to squeeze Bourdais in there though, maybe that shows Ferraris current management are making a political statement to Jean to say "eff orf we are a different team now you have left".
Yes,eff orf Jean! You were bloody useless!