Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jan 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2619699)   #26
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F. View Post

It worked OK the first time... Besides, the kid is hardly going to have his personality defined by his manager's. And following on from what Super Hans has said, Lewis is a pretty normal guy. I'd happily sit and have a drink with him before I would with Micheal or Kimi.

If I was in Anthony Hamilton's shoes right now I can imagine that I would be doing exactly this, seeing that it worked out so well the first time. If I was in young de Vries' shoes right now I would be thrilled at the chance of being attached to this successful team, and being managed by a man that brought his son from humble beginnings to being a world champion.

oh, no doubt from the young drivers point of view, it's an amazing oppertunity, no question. I do think a young guys personality can be defined by the people guiding them - in any business not just F1.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2619718)   #27
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
sorry, I wasn't trying to say he shouldn't be allowed to Manage, I was questioning if he was the right person to guide a young sponge of a lad in terms of ethics and sports man when my perception of Lewis is not high in either, but as pointed out in an earlier post sportsman ship may not be a high factor in the list, or it may even be required to not have that sort of moral code to succeed, with that said, I'm also not against having ruthless do what it takes drivers, as long as they are honest about it, I'm just not a fan of a clean PR "I like fair play" type persona that tells %100 lies to the stewards (just as an example).

I'm sure a part of this is down to the media portrayal, as someone said the media love to make a panto villan.
I do think you are being a bit hard on Lewis, granted, he did not speak the truth to Australian Stewards, that does make him a perpetual liar. It would have been very hard for him to go against his instructions, what may be termed a "courageous" decision if he did.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2619846)   #28
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I do think you are being a bit hard on Lewis, granted, he did not speak the truth to Australian Stewards, that does make him a perpetual liar. It would have been very hard for him to go against his instructions, what may be termed a "courageous" decision if he did.
Yes, he was under instruction to say what he said, if I recall - and in any case justice prevailed on that occasion.

Although it is not unfair to question Mr. Hamilton's ability to manage a young driver, I personally cannot see why he would not be appropriate in the role.

Naturally we enthusiasts have little but the way in which he is represented by the media to go on... But I very much doubt he is as bad as some wish to make out.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2619847)   #29
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tax free in switzerland.... The Hamilton Way!

(At least I think thats how the song goes)
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2619854)   #30
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Naturally we enthusiasts have little but the way in which he is represented by the media to go on... But I very much doubt he is as bad as some wish to make out.
For the most part he seems to be like a nice guy, especially when he isn't under pressure and can speak naturally. I was just watching this years Singapore race again and he accelerated off the rear jack after a pit stop, and he radioed in to make sure everyone was alright.

So yeah, it's tough to judge true character with only media perspectives to go by. Just look at Kimi Raikonnen, whenever he speaks to the press he has this horrible monotone and can't wait for the interview to be over. But according to other drivers when he's out with them or his mates they can't get a word in edgeways!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2620413)   #31
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
I'm questioning about how / if letting Hamilton snr is the right way to bring and mentor a young lad in F1 due to the traits I've listed.
Ive read some of your, I think savagely harsh opinions, of both Lewis and Anthony Hamilton and you also say maybe those closest to him might kinow a bit better his perosnality. Please read.

"Lewis is a throroughly determined young man who oozes a confidence, devoid of arrogance" - Ron Dennis

"In the race car he is fully self interested and fearless, in that sense he is selfish but the special thing about Lewis Hamilton is he can switch that off when he gets out of the car and he then becomes a very nice man" - Eddie Jordan

"Lewis is an incredably pleasant young man with a tremendous amount of natural ability," - Sir Jackie Stewart

“he's the perfect racing driver, isn’t he? He’s good value, he’s a nice lad, appreciates everything everybody does for him, he’s not gone all superstar, and he gets the job done.” - Martin Brundle

These guys seem to like him
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2620418)   #32
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lewis Hamilton should get a job with the AA (Automobile Association).
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2620432)   #33
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah but Martin Brundle's a right son of a *****!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2620450)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Yeah but Martin Brundle's a right son of a *****!
He's a very nice man, yes, a very nice man.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2620468)   #35
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
Ive read some of your, I think savagely harsh opinions, of both Lewis and Anthony Hamilton and you also say maybe those closest to him might kinow a bit better his perosnality. Please read.

"Lewis is a throroughly determined young man who oozes a confidence, devoid of arrogance" - Ron Dennis

"In the race car he is fully self interested and fearless, in that sense he is selfish but the special thing about Lewis Hamilton is he can switch that off when he gets out of the car and he then becomes a very nice man" - Eddie Jordan

"Lewis is an incredably pleasant young man with a tremendous amount of natural ability," - Sir Jackie Stewart

“he's the perfect racing driver, isn’t he? He’s good value, he’s a nice lad, appreciates everything everybody does for him, he’s not gone all superstar, and he gets the job done.” - Martin Brundle

I agree with the above. Personally I'm not of the opinion others share about Lewis being arrogant etc, but maybe that's because I don't judge people unless I have met them and have formed my own opinion. I do think too many people on here base their opinions of individuals purely on what they see on TV or in the media. Lewis seems to come in for more than his share of stick in this regard. What some see as confidence, others see as arrogance.....

He's still young, give the guy a break.

As for his dads suitability to manage another young talent, I'm not aware of anyone on here who knows AH personally outside of the F1 world, so who are we to judge how he might look after a young charge? I'm sure even though he may manage the fella, the lads parents will be in close attendance throughout their association, much as AH was with Lewis. The parents will have plenty of opportunity to iron out any wrinkles or bad habits he might pick up. I would bet he'll pick up more unwelcome traits from school than he will from beingmanaged by AH....
Old 28 Jan 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2620843)   #36
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
I agree with the above. Personally I'm not of the opinion others share about Lewis being arrogant etc, but maybe that's because I don't judge people unless I have met them and have formed my own opinion. I do think too many people on here base their opinions of individuals purely on what they see on TV or in the media. Lewis seems to come in for more than his share of stick in this regard. What some see as confidence, others see as arrogance.....
Well said. I like to think I take a similar attitude - only judge people you have met personally. Judging people by what you see and hear in the media is almost certainly a fools errand. You only get to see and hear what the editor want you to see and hear, and are therefore subject to his (or hers ) agenda. And, lets be honest, papers and TV only put on stuff that people find interesting, which, in the current climate of lowest common demoninator, is usually the bad stuff. Does having an article about how nice someone is sell as much as an article about their bad points. No. So media is always skewed to the 'dark side'.

Crikey, I'd even given Katie Price the benefit of the doubt.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2620905)   #37
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the last 3 posts

Some of the comments on here show just why the media like to build 'em up and then knock 'em down

Lewis came in and did far better than was expected by many and I feel that all the discussion of will he/won't he before his first season gave him such a big build up that there were those that wanted him to fail, or just be another midfield runner, just to prove it was all 'hype'. Running at the front straight away is somehow seen as arrogance and does not give either him or his back up crew credit for doing the fantastic job that we would all like to be able to do. There is something in the British psyche that does not like success, as in business, profit/success is often seen as sinfull somehow. I find such attitudes very sad and cynical

If, through my connections with the sport/business of motor racing I had achieved half as much I would be very proud and consider it a job well done
Old 28 Jan 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2620913)   #38
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Well said
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2620930)   #39
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With all respect, I doubt there are many here that actually know Anthony Hamilton.
Especially those with the negative comments. Managing this young karter is nothing new, Anthony has been involved with the Christodolou's in recent years, trying to help further their careers too. Thanks to Lewis' many years in karting, Anthony knows many of the other racing dads and their families that are trying to make it through the ranks, the other kart teams etc.
As to the comment about 'The Hamilton Way' - tax free in Switzerland - every F1 driver since Jim Clark has done the same thing, most F1 drivers for many years have live in Monaco tax free, Senna included, what's the difference? Jackie Stewart lived in Geneva for years, after retirement too.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2620951)   #40
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
most F1 drivers for many years have live in Monaco tax free, Senna included, what's the difference? Jackie Stewart lived in Geneva for years, after retirement too.
And on top of that I guarantee most of us would as well if we earned F1 money but had to pay 93% tax like Stewart did!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2620961)   #41
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very true. If I was earning big money, I would be out of Ireland so quick the tax man wouldn't know what happened.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2621001)   #42
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81095

Anthony Hamilton starting his own preparation for F1 drivers business. He will be using 09 spec F1 cars mainly racing around tracks in the UK.

Question is, what tracks would be eligible? This wouldn't come under the FIA banner, would it?

How legal is this?

Selby
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2621005)   #43
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Question is, what tracks would be eligible? This wouldn't come under the FIA banner, would it?

How legal is this?
I don't know unfortunately but on a 'is this a good idea' front I think it is very much so! Good work there Mr. Anthony Hamilton. Apart from anything else couldn't teams pay for young drivers to go and benefit from this? Help out all the Jaime Alguersuaris and Roman Grosjeans of the world.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2621011)   #44
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another step towards 'Hamilton F1 Racing' or 'Hamilton GP'.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2621013)   #45
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's a good idea, basically doing what Stefan GP planned on doing. He'll have some good connections, and certainly knows about rearing talent. Would also be nice to go and view some of these test days...? Especially if they're across the country!

I'm thinking, if it's not under the FIA umbrella, it surely means they could go to any track they wanted?

Selby
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2621015)   #46
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Very true. Seeing as it is not official F1 testing, would homologation be required? If not, that would be indeed awesome. Seeing 2009 F1 cars go around Brands or Donnington (if someone rebuilds it).
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2621019)   #47
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
That's what i'm thinking...! Exciting times!

It works well for FIA really, too. They still have teams sticking to the rules of no testing under the official F1 banner, yet they have an outside alternative to get some genuine running in a near up-to-date F1 car. Neat thinking, plus gives the UK fans some interesting days out..!

I saw Lewis in the 08 McLaren round Brands. I'd love to see someone actually give it some round there.

Selby
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2621020)   #48
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Anthony has been involved with the Christodolou's in recent years, trying to help further their careers too.
As valid as alot of your points may be i think Anthony Hamilton would probably like this little piece of information kept well quiet when you consider what Ricky was found guilty of before he moved to cars

Naughty boy that Christo
Old 28 Jan 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2621062)   #49
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
As valid as alot of your points may be i think Anthony Hamilton would probably like this little piece of information kept well quiet when you consider what Ricky was found guilty of before he moved to cars

Naughty boy that Christo
I was just thinking the very same thing I can't say i knew anything about AH's involvement with them though.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2621103)   #50
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Anthony's involvement only came about once they were in cars - Renault.