Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2621122)   #51
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the surface I think this is a very good idea. Without using their own valuable testing miles teams can get a look at the drivers of tomorrow in the machinery of yesterday (though wording it this way makes it sound less good!).

The only concern I'd have is the cost. If Driver A could have a day in a Formula One car or a weekend of GP2, which he might win, for the money, then what is he to do? The way I see this working is if F1 teams themselves consider putting up the money for certain drivers to be trialled at Mr Hamilton's GP Prep academy.

Nice idea in principle though.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2621243)   #52
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been thinking for a while that something should be done with the old F1 cars (at least before they qualify for BOSS racing) - a proper racing series for slightly detuned 1-2 year old F1 cars would help fill the chasm between GP2 & F1.

Using them for testing is a step in the right direction, but will they be stringent on properly qualified drivers or just a pay to play organisation?
Old 28 Jan 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2621250)   #53
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Using them for testing is a step in the right direction, but will they be stringent on properly qualified drivers or just a pay to play organisation?
Does it matter? Properly qualified drivers will be able to take advantage as much as anyone else. And the times will distinguish who is good and who isn't.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2621296)   #54
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AH seems like a slippery chap! I suspect he had a big involvment in the Ham V Alonso affair in 07. He was pulling Rons strings!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2621302)   #55
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would appear I'm very much in the minority here, but that's fine that's why opinions differ.

Just to be clear - I'm not making a judgment on AH as an individual I know, I've said this or tried to in each post, its on the presentation he makes of himself and his son through the media. I have a low opinion of image the world media presents of these people as rightly said, I don't know these people so can only use the information and my take on it to form an opinion.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2621305)   #56
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think most people's problem with AH is that he comes across as quite smug. Not in a John Button kind of way - more of an intimidating self-satisfaction and supremacy. But all credit to the guy - he's got his son into F1, with the help of Ron and co, and he's starting to become a force to be reckoned with, what with him taking on young de Vries and now this as well. He's worked damn hard for it
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2621314)   #57
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
I've been thinking for a while that something should be done with the old F1 cars (at least before they qualify for BOSS racing) - a proper racing series for slightly detuned 1-2 year old F1 cars would help fill the chasm between GP2 & F1.
The problem with the GP2/F1 gulf is with GP2, not something that can be addressed with the creation of more series. If GP2 was to be replaced with a series with multiple chassis (sale price capped), multiple engines (sale price capped and performance equalized) and a bit better promotion (best served, IMO, by affording it World Championship status and wrestling the Formula Two name from Super Formula Palmer Audi - oh, and FTA TV where possible) it would be a good idea.

It does seem that this is an interesting idea, but with this sort of stuff I think the testing ban rules do need to be looked at closely, especially if Mr Hamilton Jr starts driving one of the cars. With regards to where they will run these cars, as these are probably covered as Formula One cars for circuit licensing, I think they'd only have one option - Silverstone.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2621330)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I think most people's problem with AH is that he comes across as quite smug. Not in a John Button kind of way - more of an intimidating self-satisfaction and supremacy. But all credit to the guy - he's got his son into F1, with the help of Ron and co, and he's starting to become a force to be reckoned with, what with him taking on young de Vries and now this as well. He's worked damn hard for it
You think John Button is smug? Far out!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2621407)   #59
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
John Button smug are you serious? I suppose so otherwise you would not have written that (edited)
Old 29 Jan 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2621449)   #60
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
it would appear I'm very much in the minority here, but that's fine that's why opinions differ.

Just to be clear - I'm not making a judgment on AH as an individual I know, I've said this or tried to in each post, its on the presentation he makes of himself and his son through the media. I have a low opinion of image the world media presents of these people as rightly said, I don't know these people so can only use the information and my take on it to form an opinion.
And as I said earlier I share your opinion and I don't see anything wrong with having one. The guy has made himself a public figure and my view is based on what I have seen and heard of him I freely accept that it's an opinion based on the small amount of evidence I have and that it might change if I knew him better and of course others are entitled to different views and in many cases might have a better insight than mine. Because he is a public figure and is relevant to the discussion we all have a right to express our views here.

What puzzles me is the reaction of some on this forum that we are somehow not allowed to hold or express this negative opinion of Anthony Hamilton, I have no problem with others having and arguing a different view but that after all is just their opinion.

And just for the record I find Jenson and John Button to be interesting and likeable characters and Lewis to be ok too so no I don't have it in for the world, british drivers, success or any other group, my view is based on what I have seen and heard from AH himself.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2621530)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
John Button smug are you serious? I suppose so otherwise you would not have written that (edited)
Amazingly, Jenson Button now comes across to some people as being arrogant????
Old 29 Jan 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2621583)   #62
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post

John Button comes across a decent chap even on tv, enthusiastic and normal. AH is some one if I was working with or for, I would watch my back, he seems very political and for self gain would screw anyone over. Thats just my view from the way he is coming across, I have worked with many people like this, as the corporate environment is full of slippery sharks.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2622094)   #63
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Rather like Lewis Hamilton still being branded a liar after Melbourne last year. One occurrence.

Makes us all liars then I guess.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2622113)   #64
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Darned if you do and darned if you don't...
Old 30 Jan 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2622200)   #65
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
There is nothing more arrogant than conducting character assassinations of people you've never met on internet forums. Lewis Hamilton might be arrogant, he just as easily might not be. I don't know him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2622220)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Rather like Lewis Hamilton still being branded a liar after Melbourne last year. One occurrence.

Makes us all liars then I guess.
Hamilton did lie, it wasn't that he just had a difference of opinion, and he did it in front of millions.

Maybe he isn't a liar any more? I don't know, I haven't met him. Would I know if he was a liar if I had?
Old 30 Jan 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2622224)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
There is nothing more arrogant than conducting character assassinations of people you've never met on internet forums. Lewis Hamilton might be arrogant, he just as easily might not be. I don't know him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
No one is questioning Hamilton's arrogance. However, someone was questioning John Button's smugness.

He may have only been smug once, but it's such a serious character flaw that people will tend to remember it for long periods of time.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2643313)   #68
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*bump*

Lewis Hamilton no longer to be managed by his Dad.

BBC

Autosport
Old 2 Mar 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2643329)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So arrogant, he thinks he can do it all on his own.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2643340)   #70
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well, that's one less non-F1 person we have to watch too many times during the course of a race..!

Although he's back with the Pussycat now, isn't he.... lol

Selby
Old 2 Mar 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2643352)   #71
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
He's probably seen how well Jenson gets on with his Dad in a non-managerial relationship and decided that's the way to go.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2643359)   #72
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
*bump*

Lewis Hamilton no longer to be managed by his Dad.

BBC

Autosport
I am so pleased he has taken this step, since he came into F1 I have been concerned by this relationship which I have long suspected is unhealthy for both his professional and private lives. If he takes on a proper professional manager who is not a family member I think we will see him grow into a much better rounded driver and personality on and off the track.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2643448)   #73
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I am so pleased he has taken this step, since he came into F1 I have been concerned by this relationship which I have long suspected is unhealthy for both his professional and private lives. If he takes on a proper professional manager who is not a family member I think we will see him grow into a much better rounded driver and personality on and off the track.
Could not agree more, this is a wise move from which both will benefit. Once a driver gets to international level "Dad" is too close and a degree of emotional involvement cannot be avoided. He will still be there to offer his opinion.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2643488)   #74
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
So arrogant, he thinks he can do it all on his own.
where did that come from? not in the articles I read, which very clearly state he is replacing Dad with a new manager.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2643502)   #75
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
where did that come from? not in the articles I read, which very clearly state he is replacing Dad with a new manager.
I believe Knowlesy was sarcastically pre-empting the anti-Lewis mob.