Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2853661)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Red Bull aren't really that fast though are they? In the wrong hands, the RBR is slower than the McLaren.
We haven't seen its race pace yet. I think that will give us a better idea of just how good the car is.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2853663)   #27
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Red Bull aren't really that fast though are they? In the wrong hands, the RBR is slower than the McLaren.
Or its the Mclaren that is in the right hands
Old 26 Mar 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2853665)   #28
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I believe there is little between these two cars in terms of sheer pace...
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2853674)   #29
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I think the real question is: 'how is Vettel so fast?' Webber said he was "mystified" by his pace, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I believe there is little between these two cars in terms of sheer pace...
Unless Seb does have a part, that would mean he's just .8 quicker than Webber and almost .8 than Hamilton and Button. Of course, having a new part wouldn't make .8 difference.

I would suggest that the Red Bull is better than McLaren, Vettel is better than Webber and Vettel is better than everyone right now at qualifying on the new tire.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2853684)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If it is being charged in the pits and not by braking, then I can't see how thats legal.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2853688)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well then it sounds like Red Bull might be using KERS as a form of launch control?
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2853694)   #32
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If it is being charged in the pits and not by braking, then I can't see how thats legal.
You can start the race with a fully charged KERS, which may be charged to a maximum that is more than can be recovered during the race.

5.2.2 With the exception of one fully charged KERS, the total amount of recoverable energy stored on the car must not exceed 300kJ. Any which may be recovered at a rate greater than 2kW must not exceed 20kJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Well then it sounds like Red Bull might be using KERS as a form of launch control?
It can't be used until the car reaches 60 mph, so maybe not quite a launch control.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2853699)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Arguably 1.20 does in its definition of a KERS as "A system that is designed to recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car".
That is what it's designed to do. What it actually does is a different matter.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2853701)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, surely the Red Bull has to charge it's system on the installation lap to use at the race start, so it's recovering energy as it's designed to do?
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2853705)   #35
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Well, surely the Red Bull has to charge it's system on the installation lap to use at the race start, so it's recovering energy as it's designed to do?
AFAIK it goes to the grid with freshly charged or new batteries, so it has no need to recover any energy on the way to the grid.

In parc ferme you may do the following: - charging and / or discharging of the KERS energy storage devices

- removal of the KERS energy storage devices which, once marked by the FIA technical delegate, may
be retained overnight by the team ;

Last edited by Marbot; 26 Mar 2011 at 19:50.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2853710)   #36
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well the suggestion is that the system is smaller, lighter and simpler than other teams KERS because it does not have the components and circuitry to charge the battery which therefore has to be charged before the car leaves the pits. If that is the case I'd say it's not KERS, I think the rules do allow the battery to be charged before the car leaves the pits but if it cannot be charged from the drive train it's not KERS.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2853715)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
So, if Red Bull win the race tomorrow, we may see other teams protest the result because they can't beat it, even though they have an extra 80 BHP on tap that Red Bull don't?
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2853716)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I think the rules do allow the battery to be charged before the car leaves the pits but if it cannot be charged from the drive train it's not KERS.
The regulations do not specify that the system has to be charged from the drive train. The regulations merely state what a KERS is designed to do.

Last edited by Marbot; 26 Mar 2011 at 20:04.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2853717)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
So, if Red Bull win the race tomorrow, we may see other teams protest the result because they can't beat it, even though they have an extra 80 BHP on tap that Red Bull don't?
Adrian Newey has said of the KERS that they are only of any use at the start of the race and that any advantage gained thereafter is negligible.

Today he seemed to prove that point.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2853722)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Well the suggestion is that the system is smaller, lighter and simpler than other teams KERS because it does not have the components and circuitry to charge the battery which therefore has to be charged before the car leaves the pits. If that is the case I'd say it's not KERS, I think the rules do allow the battery to be charged before the car leaves the pits but if it cannot be charged from the drive train it's not KERS.
It's a launch control, not from a standing start necessarily, but still a launch control....
Old 26 Mar 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2853756)   #41
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Adrian Newey has said of the KERS that they are only of any use at the start of the race and that any advantage gained thereafter is negligible.

Today he seemed to prove that point.
Exactly. I've heard him say with my own ears (so not hearsay) that he didn't like the previous system because it was unsafe. What he has done now, using that brilliant mind of his, is devise a system that uses KERS when it's most needed but not thereafter. Quite simply, another Newey coup.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2853790)   #42
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the FIA consider that interpretation of KERS is "outside the spirit of the regulations" all they have to do to change that interpretation to a disadvantage is to abolish the 6 secs per lap limit on KERS usage. Would in "the spirit of the regulations" make for a much greener image.
Meanwhile the big problem device affecting F1's chace after parity is ANII.
(Aidrian Newey Interpretive Initiative)
Old 26 Mar 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2853798)   #43
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Because Red Bull is not a manufacturer, they are a drinks company, not some pure-bred racing team building to become a bigger manufacturer, like Ferrari.

Just a bloody drinks company!!

That's why!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2853801)   #44
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Because Red Bull is not a manufacturer, they are a drinks company, not some pure-bred racing team building to become a bigger manufacturer, like Ferrari.

Just a bloody drinks company!!

That's why!
Word is they've been secretly developing a road car to go up against other supercars, they're calling it the "Guarana"!