Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2858505)   #51
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
With regards to the first post and the picture showing the RB wing closer to the track, has anyone considered that although the wing might not flex, the nose cone as a whole could possibly flex. Since the FIA test is done on the wing, not the whole nose cone, that might be one way of achieving what is seen in the picture.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2858516)   #52
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
With regards to the first post and the picture showing the RB wing closer to the track, has anyone considered that although the wing might not flex, the nose cone as a whole could possibly flex. Since the FIA test is done on the wing, not the whole nose cone, that might be one way of achieving what is seen in the picture.
Thats certainly what I believe, thought it was the general concensus tbh.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2858526)   #53
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats certainly what I believe, thought it was the general concensus tbh.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2858540)   #54
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
...they must be cheating

So, what reasons will the other teams come up with for why red Bull are so fast and surely they must be breaching the rules !!!!

The reason for this thread is the pics i've already seen on Twitter pointing out how low the Red Bull front wing is in comparison to the McLaren ....
I think the reason is Adrian Newey !
Old 4 Apr 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2858583)   #55
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I think the reason is Adrian Newey !
Agreed! Every team moans about the legality of his designs, yet they would all employ him in a heart beat!
Old 4 Apr 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2858632)   #56
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
It looks to me in the two pictures above that the Red Bull might be using the drag reduction system while the McLaren is not.

The two cars would therefore have a very different front/rear downforce balance. This is would change the pitch of the Red Bull relative to the McLaren.
Good spot!... I did not click the thumbnails to see thefull size pic and in t/nail form did not notice the variation in the pics, which do clearly show the RBR running with the rear wing open and the McLaren with it closed off.

Just goes to show the difficulties of actually comparing like with like that is essential in making a factually based and meaningful observation on such issues. Much like drawing relevant conclusions from testing or practice times.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2858755)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The rules are pretty clear, and on the front wing in particular.

All bodywork is governed by article 3.15, which basically states that everything attached to the car that may influence aerodynamics is not allowed any freedom of movement. If only article 3.15 governed aerodynamics, then no car would be allowed to take part in the Sepang GP, not even the HRTs. Simply because it's not possible to have zero movement in aerodynamic areas currently utilized by an F1 car, at least not from a practical point of view (what would you have to make the wings from in order to have zero movement?).

Therefore, additional regulations have to be drawn up to limit the movement of certain areas of bodywork. article 3.17 provides for this, and rule 3.17.1 is the rule that governs how much a front wing can flex (therefore article 3.15 does not apply, but must be "respected") when a 1000N weight is strategically placed upon it. The Red Bull front wing passes this test, and critically, it also passes this test after the race has ended. Before passing that test the front wing may have done any number of visually interesting things that may have caught the eye. But this matters not. The Red Bull front wing is within the regulations.

Last edited by Marbot; 4 Apr 2011 at 19:00.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2858848)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed! Every team moans about the legality of his designs, yet they would all employ him in a heart beat!
Either that or make Rory Byrne some kind of offer that could tempt him out of retirement!
Old 4 Apr 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2858895)   #59
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Either that or make Rory Byrne some kind of offer that could tempt him out of retirement!
Now thats where I'd go followed by Barnard, Murray and Reynard!

Last edited by wnut; 4 Apr 2011 at 23:38.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2859021)   #60
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The rules are pretty clear, and on the front wing in particular.

All bodywork is governed by article 3.15, which basically states that everything attached to the car that may influence aerodynamics is not allowed any freedom of movement. If only article 3.15 governed aerodynamics, then no car would be allowed to take part in the Sepang GP, not even the HRTs. Simply because it's not possible to have zero movement in aerodynamic areas currently utilized by an F1 car, at least not from a practical point of view (what would you have to make the wings from in order to have zero movement?).

Therefore, additional regulations have to be drawn up to limit the movement of certain areas of bodywork. article 3.17 provides for this, and rule 3.17.1 is the rule that governs how much a front wing can flex (therefore article 3.15 does not apply, but must be "respected") when a 1000N weight is strategically placed upon it. The Red Bull front wing passes this test, and critically, it also passes this test after the race has ended. Before passing that test the front wing may have done any number of visually interesting things that may have caught the eye. But this matters not. The Red Bull front wing is within the regulations.
What he said. The wing passes, ergo wing is legal. I await with baited breath the phrase 'within the spirit of the regulations'.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2860428)   #61
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Horner says his car is simply pointing more into the ground...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/form...e/12996753.stm

"We run quite a high rake angle in our car. So inevitably when the rear of the car is higher, the front of the car is going to be lower to the ground."
Old 8 Apr 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2860437)   #62
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What he said. The wing passes, ergo wing is legal. I await with baited breath the phrase 'within the spirit of the regulations'.
Exactly James. What's happening is (curretly) immaterial. If the car passes the tests, it is obviously legal (as it complies with the regulations). Rule interpretation is another important skill employed by the designers, examples of which there have been since the dawn of time...
Old 8 Apr 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2860449)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think the other teams - McLaren especially - have now got to shut up and try and design something the same, not keep bleating on about it, it's old news now.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2860451)   #64
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I remember Red Bull getting very upset about the double diffuser in 2009.

All teams are the same, really.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2860527)   #65
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I remember Red Bull getting very upset about the double diffuser in 2009.

All teams are the same, really.
They did, it went before the FIA, was ruled upon and the other teams then reacted to it.

This (McLaren's moaning) has been going on since last year. The Red Bull has been checked umpteen times, been found legal, what else is there to say?
Old 8 Apr 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2860530)   #66
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They did, it went before the FIA, was ruled upon and the other teams then reacted to it.

This (McLaren's moaning) has been going on since last year.
One of the Red Bull guys (Horner or Newey) was still moaning about the DDD in Autosport a couple of weeks ago. They're all the same. If they think a rival has got one over on them, they don't like it.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2860623)   #67
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I havent got the regs infront of me, but the height of the front wing in relation to the ground was always been an important factor in aero. If i recall correctly, the minimum height of the FW main plane was raised in about 98 or '00.

I don't have the facts, but i am assuming that Mclaren (& everyone else) are running thiers at the required height. The RBR's certainly 'looks' as if it is running lower than everyone elses. Horner brushes it off by saying 'Yeah, because we run more of a rake than everyone else', but surely then they are required to lift the front wing by 'x' amount to meet the regulated height. They are obviuously passing scrutineering, so..........

There was a theory last year that RBR had some sort of active-ride-height device, maybe its just the same thing? A button/lever is pressed and it changes the pitch of the car when out on track. When returned to the pits, the car levels itself.

Worth a try?
Old 8 Apr 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2860632)   #68
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
A button/lever is pressed and it changes the pitch of the car when out on track. When returned to the pits, the car levels itself.

Worth a try?
No need for a button or lever (which would be cheating) when the forces of nature - aero forces - can be used to achieve the same result when running at speed. What I mean is that dynamic rake (when the car is in motion) is not the same as static rake (in the scrutineering bay).
Old 8 Apr 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2860636)   #69
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I hadn't seen your post pheonix, but i'd go along with that. Surely it would have to lock in position though for the car to maintain stability?
Old 8 Apr 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2860640)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are they allowed to use adjustable viscosity fluids in the dampers, or would that constitute active suspension? Was just thinking if they could run something that would soften the front to allow the car to have a forward rake on track? Although a couple videos I've seen seem to show a good bit of flew to the nose of Vettel's car on track in Melbourne. It just looked like the wing itself moved in the frame under braking but I only saw them online in not great quality.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2860650)   #71
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Surely it would have to lock in position though for the car to maintain stability?
What would have to lock into position?
Old 8 Apr 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2860660)   #72
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
The dampers/suspension, otherwise it might 'lollop' around the place....

But, if the damper resistance was high enough, the loads generated by an F1 car are pretty massive i suppose.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2860702)   #73
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Are they allowed to use adjustable viscosity fluids in the dampers, or would that constitute active suspension?
If they're not then i doubt they actually are for fear of being caught out during scrutineering, if they are then i expect that all teams are running it.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2860711)   #74
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I see you also read Autosport? there was an interesting full-page article about this 2-3 issues back. Apparently RB put a big pile of cash into researching the construction of more-flexible composites 3 years ago, with last years car being the first beneficiary of the technology.

However if it is the entire front nose section that is flexing down, wouldn't that tilt the front wing at an angle downwards ruining the aerodynamic profile?
Old 9 Apr 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2860848)   #75
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think the other teams - McLaren especially - have now got to shut up and try and design something the same, not keep bleating on about it, it's old news now.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. McLaren just copy the wing!!! Still having said that, the McLaren despite their poor performance in testing, is still a fast car.