Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:15 (Ref:497585)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bahrain GP goes down the plug hole.

From the Gulf News:

POLITICIANS slammed the brakes on government funding for Bahrain's Formula One motor racing track yesterday. Parliament members voted against funding for the $200 million (BD75.6m) Bahrain Racing Circuit, saying it was flying in the face of Islamic values.
They rejected $80m (BD30.24m) Bander Al Seef project (a resort in Seef District), $85m (BD32.13m) towards the Bapco refinery expansion and $130.9m (BD49.48m) on Alba's fifth line expansion, as well as the racing circuit.
The projects were recommended for approval by the parliament's financial and economical affairs committee.

But they were rejected by 21 to 10 votes after a debate by the MPs.
Services committee chairman Dr Isa Al Mutawa said the government was toying around with Islamic values and morals with its proposed plans for the racing circuit and the resort.

"If F1 comes to Bahrain then bets come too and if the resort gets opened, then prostitutes will pour into the country more than before," said Dr Al Mutawa.

"There are enough accidents in Bahrain and with the F1 coming to Bahrain more youths will be imitating on roads what they see on the track."

Services committee vice-chairman Mohammed Khalid Mohammed said he was unhappy with the nature of some of the projects.

"We don't have public gardens in Bahrain and the government wants to establish a racing circuit," he said.

Obviously they dont want you gambling,womanising,drinking F1 fans turning up there
Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:24 (Ref:497592)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even with a whole lot of Saudis showing up, I don't see how they can draw a big enough crowd.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:37 (Ref:497607)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I think it's a pity. If any 'new' F1 event was going to happen, then I'd have to say it'd be this one. They originally had government backing; they track was fully designed and looked pretty good weaving in-and-out of sand-dunes; and it gone further than Moscow or any other track.

I think that it's still a market that needs to be conquered by F1, if only for the manufacturers to build there database and to make F1 trully global.

I am very sceptical if what the Bahrain government think F1 is going to bring though. In Britain, at football mathches you need tons of riot police and the like; at races you need a few coppers to control the traffic. I think they're jumping the gun and stereotyping a little.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:39 (Ref:497608)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, what's next?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 20:02 (Ref:497634)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
China?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 20:23 (Ref:497654)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably, would love to see the China track cancelled.
Too poor to feed the hungry people but rich enough to build a F1 track...
Old 5 Feb 2003, 20:30 (Ref:497662)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't sand dunes shift their locations? How can you build a racetrack on or weaving through land that moves??? I guess it's a moot point since the GP will never happen anyway...

I think they should make a US West Coast GP next...
Old 5 Feb 2003, 20:41 (Ref:497672)   #8
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Bahrain GP goes down the plug hole.

Quote:

"There are enough accidents in Bahrain and with the F1 coming to Bahrain more youths will be imitating on roads what they see on the track."
What.. by following each other closely and never bothering to overtake? Sounds safe to me
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:01 (Ref:497692)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha, thank goodness...I honestly am not even remotly excited about races in Bahrain, Russia etc...
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:35 (Ref:497728)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's next?

Austria, Spa...?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:37 (Ref:497733)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
doesn't surprise me in the least.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:52 (Ref:497758)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe the moon...?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:57 (Ref:497768)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
If a race track were to be built in China (or Bahrein for that matter), it is easy to convert the in field area into playing fields and parkland for the public to use for the remainder of the year. The revenue generated from F1 (including TV rights) must be used to pay for the development, so that the general public will get the benefit. With some forethought in location and design, the track can be used as public roads for the remainder of the year (as in Albert Park).

The argument about prostitutes pouring into any country and betting because of F1 is specious - anybody who bets on F1 is nuts, especially when they can bet on race horses and cricket games (who are also nuts). These religious arguments are always used in these areas as they are very difficult for anyone to argue against (who would dare), and it is usually used when somebody high up didn't get enough kickback for a particular project.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:58 (Ref:497771)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay! Another blow to Bernie's credibility and wallet!
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:11 (Ref:497788)   #15
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I want a race in Dubai, as my brother lives there so free accomodation!
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:25 (Ref:497821)   #16
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisgr31
Personally I want a race in Dubai, as my brother lives there so free accomodation!
Nice guy that brother of yours. My cousins live in Melbourne and I haven't been there at all.

®îjñtjûh said:

It's wonderful that some people actually have feelings. I am impressed by what you had said.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 00:03 (Ref:497930)   #17
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Bahrain GP goes down the plug hole.

Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Obviously they dont want you gambling,womanising,drinking F1 fans turning up there
There goes my plans to raise the roof in Bahrain.
Wheres my Bud Light?
Old 6 Feb 2003, 00:34 (Ref:497965)   #18
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, F1 is coming to Alaska!

First F1 race on ice! Bring tires chains and mittens!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 00:45 (Ref:497972)   #19
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Korr
Actually, F1 is coming to Alaska!

First F1 race on ice! Bring tires chains and mittens!

I'd invite F1 over here, but they wouldn't want to race in a country without a name!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 08:43 (Ref:498163)   #20
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could always try something a little radical & have a Belgian Grand Prix held at Spa but i don't think Bernie would be a party to the idea.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 11:36 (Ref:498287)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What motor racing history is there in Belgium? No one's interested, and it'd just be a bland Herman Tilke deisgn instead of an exciting challenging driver's circuit. The poverty and human rights abuses in Belgium are disgraceful as well. I really don't think this nation fits Bernie's F1 vision [/sarcasm]
Old 6 Feb 2003, 11:48 (Ref:498297)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best news so far. How about putting F1 racing back where it belongs!

In Europe, on proper racing tracks, where it is most popular. Forget about lining your pockets Bernie.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 11:51 (Ref:498300)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave poor () Bernie alone, will ya! It's not only about 'his' money, it's about more of half of the teams who still have to pay bills. In order to race somewhere actually, then they might consider racing on proper tracks where F1 belongs.

Last edited by Red; 6 Feb 2003 at 11:52.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 12:08 (Ref:498318)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say it bothers me that no Bahrain race goes ahead.

With all these races being dropped and the one's being announced not surfacing, how long before we see another 'Swiss GP'?
Old 6 Feb 2003, 13:46 (Ref:498444)   #25
Minardi4eva
Rookie

Minardi4eva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hahahaha Bahrain out,good
Bernies been an ass,normal