Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Apr 2001, 10:35 (Ref:78346)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here is the car which Rydell will drive this year in the STCC. Not bad but it would be better in the BTCC under the new regulations.
Attached Images

Old 7 Apr 2001, 14:34 (Ref:78396)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Uhm, no. That is not the car Rydell will drive. That is the privateer Janne Lindbloms ´98 Volvo S40...

Rydell will drive a official Volvo S40 ´99...
Old 7 Apr 2001, 16:48 (Ref:78414)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was wondering if Volvo had changed their corporate colours for a minute their.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 17:20 (Ref:78426)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Volvo is now allowing a Privateer to race their cars? I thought previously any Volvo racing was always a Works or at least a semi-works?

Or was Janne was a Works Volvo racer? I wonder how much the car cost him??

Hey JMeissne, to be precise, isn't Rydell racing a '01 bodyshell with '99 aero/engine parts?
Old 7 Apr 2001, 22:42 (Ref:78474)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup, there is actually two privateer Volvos in the STCC this year. Volvo has started to allow it yes...

Well, yes and no. The new facelifted bodyshell cannot be used since Volvo has made no new official parts. So they are using a 01 car as basis but with the 99 aero/engine and the same looks as 99...
Old 7 Apr 2001, 23:35 (Ref:78500)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sorry. My mistake!
Old 8 Apr 2001, 10:24 (Ref:78600)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Interestingly there are a number of Volvos BTCC cars for sale in Autosports Classified this week. Take your pick from two 850's and two 1997 S40's, all genuine TWR cars, rebuilt and never before advertised.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 10:42 (Ref:78603)   #8
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well, we've got track of all Volvo Super Toureres built then..

Estate ´93 - A red prototype that was built is currently for sale in a Swedish news magazine
Estate, the two from ´94 - One is in Australia if Im not wrong, and another is here in Sweden
850, the two from ´95 - One is in Australia (?) and the other one is in Sweden (crashed)
850, the two from ´96 - I suppouse those are the ones for sale in Autosport
S40, the two from ´97 - For sale in Autosport
S40, the two from ´98 - Raced privately in the STCC by Lindblom and Sundberg
S40, the two from ´99 - Raced officially in the STCC by Nilsson and Edman...

But, a third car is brought in for Rydell in the STCC this year and Boström is privately entered for the STCC this year with a S40. Spaircars, rebuilds?

Last edited by JMeissner; 8 Apr 2001 at 10:46.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 14:51 (Ref:78637)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What about the all black prototype S40, was that ever used as a race car ? I would guess they actually built 3 cars some years.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 14:57 (Ref:78639)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
hmmm, yes, did they not build three cars each race. two primary racecars and one spaircar?

I think they used the black S40 as a test/spair car. I havent seen it (black) since the preseason 97...
Old 9 Apr 2001, 01:03 (Ref:78782)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

That's practically every Volvo ST car ever built and raced? Who's selling them? TWR?

Hmmm, I wonder how many will appear in Formula Saloons? Or will collectors snatch up the cars? How much are they asking? I could barely afford one of those 19" wheels!!
Old 9 Apr 2001, 10:48 (Ref:78861)   #12
AdrianG
Racer

AdrianG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was probably more than that built. There were two S40s racing in Australia at the same time as two were racing in sweden, as well as the two BTCC cars.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 22:16 (Ref:79079)   #13
Caradoc
Rookie

Caradoc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know Volvo has built at least three cars every year since –94.
This year there will be six cars in the STCC.

#3 - Jan Nilsson - Flash Engineering - Volvo S40 –99
#4 - Jens Edman - Flash Engineering - Volvo S40 –99
#40 - Rickard Rydell - Flash Engeneering - Volvo S40 –99
#10 - Jan Lindblom - Agrol-Swecon Racing - Volvo S40 –98
#16 - Fredrik Sundberg - Sundberg Motorsport - Volvo S40 –97
#21 - Andreas Boström - BRS Motorsport - Volvo S40 –97

I would think the two cars in Autosport are the same cars as number 16 & 21 in the STCC and they were sold (leased ???) by sportpromotion in Sweden. The third car from –97 were brought to Australia and driven by Jim Richards in –98 and Mark Adderton the year after.

Number 10 is the car that Rydell raced in the BTCC in –98, the year after it went to Sweden were it was driven by Janne ”Flash” Nilsson, in –00 Janne Lindblom drove it in the last race of the season and this year he will do the full season in it. The second car is also in Sweden, Jens Edman drove it in –99 and I think it was put into a museum the year after. The third car went to Australia were Jim Richards took it to a second place in the Australian Super Touring Championship. In 2000 rumors said the car was bought by someone in Finland, who would enter it in the STCC with ex. works driver Edman. But the car wasn’t enterd and I don’t know whats happend to it.

The three –99 cars are of course the BTCC cars from that year, in 2000 two cars were raced in Sweden by Nilsson and Mattias Ekström, the third was a spare car just like it had been in –99. This year I think they will use the same cars but the suspension has been updated and the engines are prepared by Ultratech instead of TWR.

I don’t know what happend to the black test car but I guess it might have been repaintd and used as one of the race cars. Also, in the last STCC race last year Kelvin Burt was brought in. I think the car he used might have been a –98 chassis that had been crashed but later rebuilt.

The story about the 850’s are pretty much the same, three cars built every year as far as I know, some went to Australia and most of the to Sweden.

All of this is based on speculations and it’s hard to keep track of a single car without it’s chassi number, but this should give a pretty good picture of what happend to the cars.

Also, sorry for my somtimes probarbly not very correct english…
Old 9 Apr 2001, 22:38 (Ref:79094)   #14
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
The one that Burt raced in the last race of STCC was the one that Tim Harvey smashed at Bathurst 1998.
Old 10 Apr 2001, 12:35 (Ref:79221)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Here is Rydell in his new STCC Volvo, the picture is taken yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
rydellstcc.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2001, 18:02 (Ref:79286)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

Welcome Caradoc. No need to appologise for your English, we get a lot worse from some of our native English members

You're right about the Autosport cars being from SportPromotion.

All that information reminds me of a project I once thought about starting - tracking the whereabouts of every SuperTourer, then I realised just how much work would be involved.
Attached Thumbnails
volvo.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2001, 20:15 (Ref:79315)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

All that information reminds me of a project I once thought about starting - tracking the whereabouts of every SuperTourer, then I realised just how much work would be involved.
Na, I think you realised how sad a person you'd have to be. On second thoughts it sounds quite good! A website would be good where people could come and put information in on the wherabouts of the BTCC cars.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 00:24 (Ref:79354)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

Redshoes wrote:

>All that information reminds me of a project I once >thought about starting - tracking the whereabouts of every >SuperTourer, then I realised just how much work would be >involved.
>
That's a pretty cool project!!

touringlegend wrote:

>Na, I think you realised how sad a person you'd have to >be.
>
I can't criticize since I also had a similar project where I tried to calculate how many ST cars were being built every year. At the peak, something like 40-50 cars a year were being built!

>On second thoughts it sounds quite good! A website would >be good where people could come and put information in on >the wherabouts of the BTCC cars.
>
Hey, I would second that idea!!

PS: Any guesses as to how many ST cars were built since '93?

Over 150? My ultimate dream is to see one model or style of vehicle from any manufacturer racing together. IE. to have both an Audi 80/A4, Honda Civic and Accord, Nissan Primera and Sentra racing together!! There have been so many different styles.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 05:14 (Ref:79378)   #19
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well redshoes i'll start u off.

Leslie's 1997 Primera is now in the ASTC.
Thompson's 1999 Accord is also here.
The 2 1998 S40's made it here for Volvo's last year in the ASTC.
There r 1 or 2 Cavaliers racing here as well.
Also the 1998 Audi A4's are know in the ASTC, as well as the 98 Mondeo's and 98 406's.

The Mondeo's are up for sale if NEone wants them

LOL
Old 11 Apr 2001, 06:50 (Ref:79382)   #20
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where does the Volvo being raced in the ETCC fit in to the above lists?
CLearly it's not a new car, and is the guy driving it the same "Flash" and hence car that are listed as #3 in the STC?
Cheers
RickP:Clio51
Old 11 Apr 2001, 08:33 (Ref:79397)   #21
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Janne "Flash" Nilsson who raced in the ETCC this year is driving a ´99 Volvo, ither Rydell's or Rademecker's...
Old 11 Apr 2001, 11:34 (Ref:79435)   #22
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
98 Mondeos? We don't have any that new here.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 17:25 (Ref:79546)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Nothing to do with being sad. You never know when you might be approached by an official source who need just such information. Sometimes being an anorak pays off in the long run.

As kmchow has already pointed out it be a fairly large scale project, and never felt I had the time to do it justice. The idea would have been not just to locate their current whereabouts but also their history. BTW I think 40-50 per year is a little excessive. although with spare cars I guess it's possible.

Most of the cars do have some sort of chassis number so it would certainly be possible.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 20:35 (Ref:79598)   #24
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol Redshoes!

That would be one hell of a project but once you have done the history, it's just a matter of updating it each year. The work would definitely get easier. I sometimes think about where the cars end up after BTCC have finished with them. I suppose it depends how much time you have on your hands!
Old 11 Apr 2001, 21:06 (Ref:79613)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

If you've ever read Motor Sport magazine or similar they often have articles on old race cars where they talk about how a certain chassis number started in this livery then crashed and rebuilt to a later spec, etc, etc. Last week's Autosport's feature on the Lotus 88B is a good example. In 10/15 years time there's no reason why they wouldn't want to do the same for cars like the S40, Biela's A4, Cleland's Cavalier.

How much time do I have on my hands? None at all