Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3860293)   #301
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

At least Toro Rosso / Honda have admitted their second half of the season has been all about developing the Honda engine more fully for next year's expansion to four cars, and this has entailed sacrificing this year's points and results.
That's just a lame excuse that nobody should fall for. How many times did we hear something similar in the McLaren years? I'm stunned people just buy this.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3860324)   #302
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Fixed that for you
Quite right! Alonso is a superstar and Ferrari and Mercedes were mad not to sign Alonso to one of their out of contract 2019 seats.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3860349)   #303
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Quite right! Alonso is a superstar and Ferrari and Mercedes were mad not to sign Alonso to one of their out of contract 2019 seats.

Probably because he’s such a jinx these days
Old 1 Nov 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3860355)   #304
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
At least Toro Rosso / Honda have admitted their second half of the season has been all about developing the Honda engine more fully for next year's expansion to four cars, and this has entailed sacrificing this year's points and results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
That's just a lame excuse that nobody should fall for. How many times did we hear something similar in the McLaren years? I'm stunned people just buy this.
I don't think what I say below is contrary to what I said just a handful of posts above. I believe points matter for STR, but at the same time I have read that Honda has been given permission to release upgrades as they see fit. So I think both scenarios are true. STR wants to score points, but the development program for the Honda PU is also important. Those two priorities compete with each other. STR also appears to have issues with it's chassis and inconsistent (or poor) performance from their drivers (mostly Hartley)

Richard
Old 1 Nov 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3860356)   #305
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The difference is STR hasn't been rolling out updates and claiming to be the best chassis. McLaren spent all year telling everyone who would listen how great their chassis is and it's all Honda's fault. Turns out maybe not so much.

And sorry, but STR has been able to put in good laps with the engine at most tracks. Even at their best McLaren rarely appeared in the top 10 in qualifying with Alonso driving so I think your comparison is way off.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3860376)   #306
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i remain optimistic about the RB-Honda partnership mainly because i think it is a risk worth taking.

Renault apparently are looking at a redesign for next year's engine and unless they nail it right out of the box (unlikely given their recent history and spending desires) its not like they were going to deliver a world championship winning engine anyways (my opinion). if anything they are redesigning to make an engine that suits their works team and not one for their customers.

imo all RB have sacrificed is a couple of race wins (wins that most likely would only come from unusual races or on a limited amount of tracks where the engine plays less of a role) for a bespoke engine from a major manufacturer.

time will tell of course, but despite Honda's past issues, moving forward this, imo, still gives them a better chance at a title then staying with Renault.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3860460)   #307
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i remain optimistic about the RB-Honda partnership mainly because i think it is a risk worth taking.

Renault apparently are looking at a redesign for next year's engine and unless they nail it right out of the box (unlikely given their recent history and spending desires) its not like they were going to deliver a world championship winning engine anyways (my opinion). if anything they are redesigning to make an engine that suits their works team and not one for their customers.

imo all RB have sacrificed is a couple of race wins (wins that most likely would only come from unusual races or on a limited amount of tracks where the engine plays less of a role) for a bespoke engine from a major manufacturer.

time will tell of course, but despite Honda's past issues, moving forward this, imo, still gives them a better chance at a title then staying with Renault.
I agree with you Chilli, McLaren were stupid, Ron Dennis had stated the problem that a manufacturer would not let a customer team win the championship, now RBR is no longer the "works" team they need a manufacturer, and the only independent manufacturer now is Honda.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3860473)   #308
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I agree with you Chilli, McLaren were stupid, Ron Dennis had stated the problem that a manufacturer would not let a customer team win the championship, now RBR is no longer the "works" team they need a manufacturer, and the only independent manufacturer now is Honda.
Agree 100%
The other side of the story is that RBR have a similar attitude to their "selected drivers". They have (publicly anyway) made it pretty clear that their selected No1 is Max and that means it would be pretty unlikely that Danny would have been a championship contender at RBR.
I think EB (and others) has it pretty right with the opinion that STR are runnning what is predominantly a test and development program for next year's Honda RBR campaign. As I recall STR have not had a PU related mechanical failiure in the second half of the season during a race. The penaly's they have taken have been for testing failures or for the substitution of parts either to advance performance or correct driveabilty problems apparent with new assemblies.
The end result of the programe should be a more competitive RBR next season which is great for F1.
I just hope that Renault can get their act together as well.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3860490)   #309
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Helmut Marko says that is the plan in this statement to Autosport.

"Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for next year. It's part of our concept that we have with Honda."
"The figures are already ahead of Renault."
Old 2 Nov 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3860491)   #310
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post

"Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for next year. It's part of our concept that we have with Honda."
Are there any actual commercial partners on the STR car this season who might not exactly enjoy torching their season for the mother ship's future?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Nov 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3860493)   #311
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post

I suppose this could continue in 2019. Honda could throw the new developments to TR for testing, and once the reliability problems are ironed out (with subsequent DNF's and grid penalties) put the refined article into the back of the RB cars.
Toro Rosso could be the sacrificial lambs (well, bulls!)
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3860512)   #312
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I see that Dr Marko is saying that Honda could make Verstappen the youngest World Champion (Autosport article here)
So, laying the ground work nice and early so that if it doesn't happen, Red Bull can do their usual and blame the lack of success on their engine supplier!
Old 2 Nov 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3860533)   #313
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I see that Dr Marko is saying that Honda could make Verstappen the youngest World Champion (Autosport article here)
So, laying the ground work nice and early so that if it doesn't happen, Red Bull can do their usual and blame the lack of success on their engine supplier!
Hope he has an engine supplier option before he starts blaming Honda!
The cupboard looks pretty bare!
Old 5 Nov 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3861068)   #314
wnut
Veteran

This reeks of rank hypocrisy from Horner:

"Has regret also contributed to Ricciardo’s current slump? That question was put to Horner.

“Only Daniel can answer that,” he said. “There’s no point broaching it with him. The decision was made and he’s comfortable with it. He’s driving a competitive car that’s taken pole position so you can see the differential between where this part [the front] of the grid is and where this part [Renault] is two laps behind.”

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...son-discontent

Deserves a swift kick in the ...
Old 5 Nov 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3861071)   #315
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bet Ricciardo can’t wait to get out of there. His car may not be as good, but the reliability should be miles better
Old 5 Nov 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3861076)   #316
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
This reeks of rank hypocrisy from Horner:

"Has regret also contributed to Ricciardo’s current slump? That question was put to Horner.

“Only Daniel can answer that,” he said. “There’s no point broaching it with him. The decision was made and he’s comfortable with it. He’s driving a competitive car that’s taken pole position so you can see the differential between where this part [the front] of the grid is and where this part [Renault] is two laps behind.”

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...son-discontent

Deserves a swift kick in the ...
What hypocrisy? He's actually telling it how it is. Right now, anyway. Next year may be quite different.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3861089)   #317
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bet Ricciardo can’t wait to get out of there. His car may not be as good, but the reliability should be miles better
Despite suggesting Gasly compete in the last two DR has himself committed to the last two races, which is the right the thing to do. He's not a quitter and if he had decided not to see the season out with RBR, I think that decision will have followed him around. So good on him.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3861090)   #318
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

I think it's pretty silly to think he would ever not do those last two races. Praising him for not doing something monumentally stupid like not driving races he's been contracted for seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3861091)   #319
S griffin
Veteran

I think the temptation was there, but he’s obviously hoping things will go right for him in the last two GPs
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3861092)   #320
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
What hypocrisy? He's actually telling it how it is. Right now, anyway. Next year may be quite different.
Suggesting Ricciardo is any part of his current form problem is clearly wrong, it is an RBR reliability problem pure and simple.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3861093)   #321
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think it's pretty silly to think he would ever not do those last two races. Praising him for not doing something monumentally stupid like not driving races he's been contracted for seems a bit unnecessary.
He was the one who suggested Gasly compete in the final two races. The fact he suggested it, strongly suggests it's not a very pleasant atmosphere at RBR and therefore he was clearly tempted to pack it in but decided not to. I don't see "praise" as being unnecessary.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3861098)   #322
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He was the one who suggested Gasly compete in the final two races. The fact he suggested it, strongly suggests it's not a very pleasant atmosphere at RBR and therefore he was clearly tempted to pack it in but decided not to. I don't see "praise" as being unnecessary.
I never took that as serious in any way, just a phrase uttered due to (very understandable) frustration.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3861099)   #323
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Suggesting Ricciardo is any part of his current form problem is clearly wrong, it is an RBR reliability problem pure and simple.
The question suggested that, Horner's answer doesn't in my view.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3861222)   #324
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a LOT of talk in all the media about how happy RBR, Red Bull, Mr Newey, Mobil and anyone else in the RBR program are with working with Honda for next season.

It seems like a HUGE amount of hype for an engine maker who so far havent produced anything like a regular top 10 finishing engine...

Leap of faith?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Nov 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3861225)   #325
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There is a LOT of talk in all the media about how happy RBR, Red Bull, Mr Newey, Mobil and anyone else in the RBR program are with working with Honda for next season.

It seems like a HUGE amount of hype for an engine maker who so far havent produced anything like a regular top 10 finishing engine...

Leap of faith?
Possibly.

That said, the Best Engine Ever has been mated to the Best Chassis Ever for the last few years and neither have excelled, so it isn't entirely clear which one of the two (if not both) is an incorrect description!