Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2018, 01:30 (Ref:3841508)   #176
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Yes I agree, Ricciardo deserves his contract fully! I just couldn't help but notice that if one driver is being paid massively more than the other, then that shows who the #1 driver in the team is intended to be....
Not sure there was ever any doubt in this case...

Swapping a ‘rented’ driver on work experience for a pukka race winner should be a pretty good indicator of intent by the team.

No compromise. Go hard or go home.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3841553)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This is gonna be a make or break season for the Hulk
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3841555)   #178
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
This is gonna be a make or break season for the Hulk
The good news for Hulk is that from next year F1 is rumoured to be ballasting all the drivers to 80kg, so one less disadvantage.

Great rule change imo.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3841560)   #179
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It is a sensible rule change, and it’s long overdue, but I don’t think it’s all that’s been holding him back, to be honest.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3841597)   #180
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good rule change.
Hopefully a good move, too. DR is a racer, one of the best at mugging under braking. Why would he want to stay at a team which places him at number two? I really hope Renault pull it all together and Ricciardo gets his chance to show Vettell, Verstappen and the rest that he's worthy of the title.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3841698)   #181
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ricciardo certainly has time on his side - he could be at the Regie for a decade yet.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3841706)   #182
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It is a sensible rule change, and it’s long overdue, but I don’t think it’s all that’s been holding him back, to be honest.

Team bosses tend to overlook this if a driver is that good, although there’s no doubt they do prefer shorter drivers
Old 5 Aug 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3841731)   #183
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only criteria for choosing your drive in F1 should be getting into the fastest car you can.Anything else is just noise.Whether it's the right decision will be determined by whether Renault is faster than Red Bull in the next 2 years.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3841966)   #184
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow...missed this news over the weekend and more to the point...missed the chance to get in on the Webber to Renault jokes! That's the real shame here lol

Big change and am looking forward to see how the rest of the dominoes fall now.

Major coup for Renault. As for Ric...time will tell but initial thoughts are that it's more of a lateral move rather than a move up the ladder.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3841976)   #185
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was caught off guard by this one. interesting move and i wonder if there was more to the politics behind the scene than what was being let on.

I think that DR had a strong desire to drive for a manufacturer and with Ferrari and Merc doors shut, Renault was the only one left. i really dont think he was ever going to sign for Mclaren - you would have to be v brave to do so.

Its a gamble, but in hindsight so was Hamilton to Merc at the time.

The biggest question is what happens to Sainz? hes too good to be shifted out. Id like to see him back at RBR to have some of those good old STR fireworks back again..
Old 7 Aug 2018, 01:53 (Ref:3841978)   #186
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I feel this could be a one step sideways for a two steps forward move for DR.

I hope.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3842139)   #187
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I feel this could be a one step sideways for a two steps forward move for DR.

I hope.
Two steps forward means Renault competes for the championship.
I don´t see that happen in de near feature.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3842144)   #188
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Ricciardo is taking a gamble. Renault are serious about getting to the top, and their track record is good (though Honda have demonstrated how little that proves). But staying with Red Bull as they take on Honda units would have been a gamble too. At least at Renault he doesn’t have Verstappen in the next garage (NO, that is not an invitation to start another Ricciardo vs Verstappen debate).
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3842155)   #189
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Red Bull fall out with drivers far too quickly. The next Senna quickly gets dropped should the next next Senna come along. Unless Verstappen wins a title in the next couple of years, the next next next Senna will be here and he'll fall out of favour in the Red Bull garage as well.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3842158)   #190
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Red Bull fall out with drivers far too quickly. The next Senna quickly gets dropped should the next next Senna come along. Unless Verstappen wins a title in the next couple of years, the next next next Senna will be here and he'll fall out of favour in the Red Bull garage as well.
I was talking to someone at work about that yesterday.

The grand tradition of one hotshoe, one Steady Eddie (who does the majority of car setup and drudge work and gets paid handsomely for it but not as much as the hotshoe) seems to be something they're going to miss.

Again.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3842217)   #191
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I must admit this leaves me torn.

Red Bull are paying all the expenses for their drivers, and clearly expect them to perform.
Should they not force a current driver out for a new hot shoe who they believe will be better? If not what do you do with the hot shoe, let him sign with the opposition, let him disappear into obscurity because a journeyman driver is occupying the seat that he needs to develop?

Surely professional sport dictates that you should have the best possible candidate in the seat at any time, and if you believe that there is a better prospect you must give him the seat?

Hard but fair?

Red Bull at least doesn't give us the pay drivers who just waste everybody's time while paying handsomely for the privilege.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3842256)   #192
S griffin
Veteran

Red Bull give chances to drivers who shown promise in the lower formulae. They get the chance and if Red Bull feel they are not quite the next best thing, they will replace them with someone else
Old 8 Aug 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3842324)   #193
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Red Bull at least doesn't give us the pay drivers who just waste everybody's time while paying handsomely for the privilege.
I don't see what the problem is with paying drivers, it has always been a component of F1 and has supported the race series before sponsorship became a thing. If a driver brings in money then he supports F1 economically by injecting that money into the category ala Stroll in recent times. F1 has always had a range of driver skills and being a paying driver never garauntees the level of that skill. You could say the Robert Kubica is now a paying driver looking for a seat and trying to buy his way in, is that any more wrong than anyone who uses family money to do the same?
Old 8 Aug 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3842326)   #194
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Red Bull give chances to drivers who shown promise in the lower formulae. They get the chance and if Red Bull feel they are not quite the next best thing, they will replace them with someone else
Very much this. Sure, Red Bull can be ruthless, and I think Helmut Marko, in particular, revels a bit too much in the ability to make or break a driver. But if a driver performs - Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Ticktum - the rewards can be immense. After all, Red Bull aren’t running a charity.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3842391)   #195
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I don't see what the problem is with paying drivers, it has always been a component of F1 and has supported the race series before sponsorship became a thing. If a driver brings in money then he supports F1 economically by injecting that money into the category ala Stroll in recent times. F1 has always had a range of driver skills and being a paying driver never garauntees the level of that skill. You could say the Robert Kubica is now a paying driver looking for a seat and trying to buy his way in, is that any more wrong than anyone who uses family money to do the same?
That's a seriously flawed comparison, I mean, the difference being that we actually know Kubica is a skilled and talented racer, while Stroll Jr. even had competitors moved out of his way in junior formulae thanks to his dads money, so I'm not sure why you're equating him to Kubica.

Even a guy like Lauda was a paydriver, but I certainly would never, ever equate him to the likes of Stroll Junior.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3842395)   #196
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I would agree that having pay drivers is not an unnatural thing. Especially when looking at ALL racing series from top to bottom. At the grassroots level, it's all mostly self funded by definition! I pay to participate because that is my only option!

Everyone like to talk about the "total package" when it comes to winning. You can summarize it a few simple ways like "chassis/engine/driver" or other variations that include various roles of the team. But it's hard to not include the driver in most of those lists. EVERYONE in the team has an impact positive or negative. Some more than others. Drivers MUST be high on that list of their ability to singularly determine the outcome.

So, given that a pecking order clearly exists that progresses from grassroots at the bottom to F1 at the top (if you buy into the F1 is the pinnacle argument). And if the top is supposed to be the "best", then it should be a competition for the best resources when you are creating a team. So I would argue that the higher up this series pecking order you travel, the fewer and fewer pay drivers you should see. Additionally, at the very top, I would argue that you can measure the health of the series by the ratio of pay vs. paid drivers. With pay drivers being a bad thing.

If you are looking to win, you can't be making decisions such as... "I will accept a lesser substitute as a way to generate funding". The slide downward is...

1. I can afford to win championships
2. I can afford to be competative
3. I can't afford to be competative
4. I can't afford to participate

In the range of #3 and #4 is when you have teams accepting pay drivers. My point is that pay drivers at the top tier is about team "survival" and not about "competition". While it may help keep any number of workers employed, it is a disservice to the fans. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

If you want to take this a step further... Why not provide "fan fantasy" scenarios. For the right amount of money, you too can be a mechanic and work on the car in the garage, or actually participate in a pit-stop! I expect that for struggling teams, a rich super-fan could inject himself into the pit stop crew. There may be some level of minimal competency required to do this (in no way am I saying that job is easy), but for less critical jobs the level of competency would likely slide. How much to just sit on the pitwall, wear a team uniform and watch monitors? All types of "fan experiences" could be monetized.

Richard
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3842401)   #197
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
That's a seriously flawed comparison, I mean, the difference being that we actually know Kubica is a skilled and talented racer, while Stroll Jr. even had competitors moved out of his way in junior formulae thanks to his dads money, so I'm not sure why you're equating him to Kubica.

Even a guy like Lauda was a paydriver, but I certainly would never, ever equate him to the likes of Stroll Junior.
I'm not arguing this issue at all, as the Stroll/Kubica comparison is bound to cause noses to wrinkle a bit, but the fact is that Kubica was a skilled and talented racer. There's no guarantee of that now....
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3842406)   #198
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What we could do is rate drivers on how they drive and their results.

Judge no one on how much they pay or are paid. As with wine there is a correlation between how much they cost and quality, but it’s not a perfect correlation.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3842408)   #199
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Judge no one on how much they pay or are paid. As with wine there is a correlation between how much they cost and quality, but it’s not a perfect correlation.
Agreed,

As with most sports - it's hard to compare the financial value of a competitor with normal employment contracts.

The only people who can really judge the value, in financial terms, of a driver are those who run the teams. So many factors will come into play, including timing, as may be the case with recent Red Bull driver contracts.

What we have seen is that the honey badger has ended up where his self-valuation has matched what is on offer, in the context of his aspirations.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3842410)   #200
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If only there was points system in which it could be applied to drivers and the teams?

Quote:
I appreciate and understand what you are saying as well as the point you are making. At the end of the day it is results that matter. The best driver could decide to offer his services for free, etc.

I concede that money does not always equal results, and that some fantastic drivers have been pay drivers at some point in their career (even F1 career). Most rules have an exception somewhere.

But ultimately... there is no way to get around the fact that generally speaking, a strategy of accepting pay drivers is about survival of the team and not winning or competition. I don't enjoy watching teams struggle to survive. Particularly when the game is generally rigged against them (i.e. chance of success without manufacture backing)

Richard