Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Jun 2003, 14:25 (Ref:624572)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good ol' boys better watch out!

Toyota putting a scare into U.S. giants

http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/Toron...08/106188.html

Good ridance to Toyota looks like they're ruffling some feathers already in Nascar because the good ol' boys know that Toyota had a significant hand in ruinning open wheel racing in North America. Lets see what happens!

Toyota putting a scare into U.S. giants
By Dean McNulty and AP

LONG POND, Pa. -- Toyota hasn't even announced a timetable for its entry into Winston Cup, but it's already causing fear and loathing along pit lane. The Japanese auto giant will race in the Craftsman Truck series in 2004 and it's seen as just a stepping stone to bringing its brand to the big show, possibly by 2006.

Rumours are rampant that Ford and Chevy may even pull out of the Truck series rather than put up the kind of money it may take to beat the Tundras.

And Dodge has pulled its factory support from Bill Davis Racing after it was alleged BDR had turned over sensitive information to Toyota Racing Development.

"If NASCAR keeps control of the rules ... (Toyota) is going to have to go through the same templates and the same engine approval issues," said Ray Evernham, owner of Dodge's primary team at the Winston Cup level.

Speculation, however, is rampant that Toyota already is lobbying NASCAR to convert from small-block, carburated V8s to fuel injected engines -- the kind that power Toyota's ultra-successful Indy car program.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 15:20 (Ref:624639)   #2
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More's the point, a few very vocal Stock car fans have been letting their feelings known on the 'net. Now it seems that some teams are voicing the same trepidation.

Ford & Chevy leaving Craftsman Trucks.... geez, they can't even stay with the Dodge Rams, Tundras will knock them out of the park.

Carbs replaced with EFIs... soon, other types of modern tech will "worm" their way in, like overhead cams, four-valve cylinders, and even (GASP!! ) those dreaded Engine management systems (ECM).

Screams of "... they're trying to 'euro-tize' our sport!!" will be heard from the hills of North Carolina to the beaches of Daytona, and all throughout the South. Cries of the need of "a new Confederacy" will ring from every stock car website & forum across the land, to stop this incurgance from "... the land of the rising sun".

"'Remember Pearl Harbor...' and stop this attempt to usurp our "beloved racing" from the grandsons of Tojo & Hirohito!"

Sorry if I just Pi$$ed-off a few folks, but from what I've seen lately it fits the bill...
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:42 (Ref:624769)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
This is the CART thread, right? I didn't doze off and miss something?
Old 8 Jun 2003, 19:12 (Ref:624831)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah this is the CART thread. I think it ties in (loosely!) becoz of the bitterness many CART fans feel towards Toyota and Honda for nearly destroying the series during their engine war; something they have also brought into the IRL this year; which will probably bring the series to its knees when they leave it for NASCAR, having demolished the great American Chevy powerplant (boat anchor).
Old 8 Jun 2003, 19:13 (Ref:624836)   #5
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope, they know if this is put into the NASCAR forum, it'll be a firestorm over there.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:624846)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well toyota wil probably return to CART their INDY objective is handled namely the 500.
Honda has a minor interst. So CHampcars might become the battle ground again. after a cosworth built chevy is used.
Now the Trucks is another matter- toyota has EFI motors in the goody's dash with success but not overwhelming. Here NASCARS dictator like rule will keep it all pretty even, let them grumble and Poo all they want, if NASCAR stick to their guns then it will be the OHV carb oval battles we want to see, after all the sport is driven on this technology, It would be a triumph if nascar just sticks to its original rules, and if toyota wants to play let them do the american way (as that is the main point of argument.)
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:22 (Ref:624931)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't buy this "Toyota and Honda ruined CART with their engine war" rot. They provided several years of great racing and top-line manufacturer involvement and, guess what, they wanted to beat each other. Competition breeds success. CART in 1999 to 2002, say, was absolutely fantastic. That they switched to the IRL was a commercial decision, but, guess what, the IRL has fantastic racing this year.