Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1758436)   #1
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lack of marshals? Confused novice!

Hi All,

I have just completed the last day of my novice season as a marshal. Looking back on my experience, it seems to contrast starkly with the prevailing view on here that there are never enough marshals, and I wonder why this is??

Have I just unknowingly picked popular events? I don't know what would constitute a good or bad showing in the pit lane, but the days I've done on post were the following:

Truck racing & Dunlop Great & British - Thruxton (Sunday)

BTCC - Brands (Sat & Sun)

FFF - Brands (Sunday)

Truck Superprix - Brands (Sunday)

I know Sundays will tend to be more popular than Saturdays, so this may be some of it, but there were 4 other people on post with me at Thruxton, and in all the Brands days, there have been between 7 and 11 other people on post.

Anyone have any idea why this might be? Is Brands particularly well supplied with marshals? It's my nearest track, but even if it weren't, the fact that MSV lay on those free trackdays for us would be enough to ensure my presence there in 9 cases out of 10 next year.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1758439)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have picked the popular events there, a normal clubbie doesn't attract that many marshals (unless its MGCC or 750mc)!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1758445)   #3
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to see (or not in this case ) a lack of marshals try Saturdays at Rockingham

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1758456)   #4
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or any car meeting at cadwell!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1758464)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Small sample, big meetings......not at all representative of what's happening week in, week out.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1758471)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus it is the end of season. Not many events and lots of marshals.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1758505)   #7
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One point you missed about Brands Hatch! All the Meetings you quoted were popular Meetings on the Indy Circuit. If the Meeting is on the GP Loop - we struggle, especially Saturdays, with either day,we have an additional 12 Posts to cover. Nethertheless, we have still run excellent Meetings there, 2 x HSCC for instance!!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1758508)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think the others have said it all really. You have picked very popular events and also in most cases, the Sunday or race day, which is again better marshalled than the Saturday would be.

Without going over old ground, there IS a shortage of marshals and it would become very evident to you if you were to do some of the smaller club meetings as the others have suggested. In many cases the action there is better as the racing is usually close and grids are by and large good.

If you marshalled the two Goodwood meetings and the BGP, you would also say 'what shortage'. So, we hope to see you at a few 'smaller' meetings in future. In fact, next weekends MSVR meeting could do with a little more support so why not come to that and see what numbers are like on Saturday?
Old 5 Nov 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1758516)   #9
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go on, Kermit, give it one more day (or two), and as Stephen suggests, the MSVR at Brands next weekend!, then hang your probans up for the Season!!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1758529)   #10
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
In fact, next weekends MSVR meeting could do with a little more support so why not come to that and see what numbers are like on Saturday?
I did originally volunteer for the FPA next weekend. Unfortunately, my Mother in Law has selfishly decided to have her 60th birthday on that weekend! That's why I was at Brands today instead.

On a more general point, I hadn't realised that the truck races were popular, and, as someone else mentioned, the event that I did on startline was an MGCC event, which was also well attended.

So long as nobody mentions Radicals, new Minis or Seat Cupras, I'm open to suggestions as to the best racing to see at Brands next year so that I can get my volunteering forms in nice and early!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1758531)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cor, If I drove I may even make an appearance.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1758534)   #12
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Or any car meeting at cadwell!
Not quite Mike!!!
Old 5 Nov 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1758537)   #13
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Go on, Kermit, give it one more day (or two), and as Stephen suggests, the MSVR at Brands next weekend!, then hang your probans up for the Season!!
Sadly I've got to juggle the demands of a wife, 3yr old and 1yr old as well, so that's me done for the year

Hopefully next year I'll be able to persuade her to sanction 6 full weekends rather than 12 single days, so I'll get to some of the Saturdays as well.