Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Apr 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1894679)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Straight-6 vs V6 Question

I'll start by saying that I'm not the best when it comes to engines. Therefore, I have a question to you guys here! Is there any preformance difference between a straight 6 cylinder engine and a V6 of the same cylinder volume? If so, how big is the difference? And if used in a race car, would one be favorable over the other?
Old 18 Apr 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1894711)   #2
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In theory a V6 will be more powerful because a shorter, stiffer lighter crank allowing higher revs, and less frictional power losses due to fewer main bearings.

In reality difference in other aspects of the engines design is going to cause a far greater difference. The main is probably going to be bore size and it's affect on valve sizes. I don't know why but most production V6's are seriously over square compared to straight 6's and hence can accomodate much larger valves (when was the last time you heard a race engine builder say "I could fit larger valves but there is no point, they are big enough already!").
Old 18 Apr 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1894712)   #3
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Oh yeah, and a v6 will GENERALLY be lighter, more compact and hence easier to package.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1894964)   #4
austin_ob
Rookie

Ireland
austin_ob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you'll find that v6 is better power wise but an advantage of a straight is probably the best ballanced engine there is as regards firing order and i suppose you could say that its easy to work on a straight 6.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1894972)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I know a couple of guys who tried to make the straight 6 Opel engine work in ModProds and spent large disproportionate ammounts of dosh and as I understood it one of the weaknesses was crankshaft twist causing timing problems (cam and/or ignition cannot remember the full specifics) and front damper problems. IMHO something like the V6 Chevy or Ford engines are way better than a straight 6.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1895048)   #6
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All, to find you here? but nevermind the emotional side between V6 and 6 line is the sound . A stright six is unbeatable in that aspect , apart from a v12.

But to all the other aspects its a v6 !!!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 06:41 (Ref:1895235)   #7
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V6 being shorter can be set further back in a rwd car better balance/handling.The V6 does not have the 6300 rmm destructive harmonic of the straight six,but apart from that the straight six in "the only cylinder layout to have perfectly even firing impulses" [source forgotten].Seven main bearings in an inline six helps,but this and big bores makes them a bit long.
The V6 would have the opposite problem -if the stroke was long the motor would grow wide at the top,especially in say a 60 deg.V6.The V6 seems a better racing proposition in theory at least.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1895396)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once BMW, TVR and Ford Australia stop making inline 6s, will any manufacturer ever design another brand new inline 6?
We haven't seen a bespoke motorsport inline 6 for a long time. The packaging and vehicle dynamics advantages that johhny and denis outlined are becoming more important in road cars too!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1895401)   #9
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
I can't see BMW stopping in the short term, although it is interesting that the new M3 went V8 rather than the bigger capacity inline 6.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1895457)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like my Falcon with the Inline6... sounds Purrrrfect
Old 19 Apr 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1895677)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think much like an inline 4 there is only so far you can go with the size of the block

And by the way some of the most powerful tuned engines around are straight six.

Although they are turbo the Nissan and Toyota straight six are also very good and probly able to go quite well N?A coz of the huge bottom end strengthening parts available due to the 1000hp plus turbo engines requirements in drag spec.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1895912)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V6..well the sound is never like a Straight 6..but this is a tough one..
I am leaning towards V6
Old 20 Apr 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1896086)   #13
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chunder, that has less to do with their build (although they are strong) and far more to do with the prevalence of the things.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1896258)   #14
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inline six vs V6 = how much $ have u got and what do u need it to do? V6 potentially will package way better leading to a better balanced chassis. I wouldn't tow a stockie with a V6 - no guts (torque). My inline Falcon 6 will out pull a std V6 (or V8) any weekend up a mountain range.....trikes

Last edited by trikesrule; 20 Apr 2007 at 12:36.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1897168)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My Vortex V6 Blazer pulls my heavy chevy on a 6 wheeler commercial trailer OK Trikes.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1897223)   #16
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
my inline 6 racer doesn't pull anything, its the sensation, the sound the vibes,
they call it the handsome brute..................what to compare

and when its pulled its either by a 6 litre native dutch quality diesel (inline!! theres no better) or a 7.4 americaniron v8 but, its always waiting untlll we can fire the british 3000 6 inline gun .
Old 22 Apr 2007, 00:30 (Ref:1897348)   #17
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Once BMW, TVR and Ford Australia stop making inline 6s, will any manufacturer ever design another brand new inline 6?
TVR is not that old a design
GM have just released one in one of thier Daewoo thing, Volvo have theirs as well, not to mention the Toyota's. And there are quite a few Diesels still (though not passenger, more 4wd or commercial).
Old 22 Apr 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1897521)   #18
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Johnny YUma,
The destructive harmonic of the straight six at 6300 rpm.

Is this intrinsic to the straight six design? I understand about harmonics etc. but Googling several ways for more info. doesn't find anything.
Please say more
John
Old 22 Apr 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1897601)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
my inline 6 racer doesn't pull anything, its the sensation, the sound the vibes,
they call it the handsome brute..................what to compare

and when its pulled its either by a 6 litre native dutch quality diesel (inline!! theres no better) or a 7.4 americaniron v8 but, its always waiting untlll we can fire the british 3000 6 inline gun .
Hey esper when I get a moment I will post some pictures up from the 60's of my 'Road' racer Healy 3000 which got me more chicks (we used that word in those days) and looks than any other car you can imagine, I warn you though purist Healy enthusiasts will NOT like it because, well I wanted a Cobra and there were no kits about then so I sort of altered the old girl a bit if you know what I mean. It did have raised compression and a twin system with massive tail pipes and sounded awesome when it fired up.

Oh I also took some inspiration from Mrs Segals works Healy that was based a mile or three from where I lived and was always parked outside her house!
Old 22 Apr 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1897627)   #20
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that the flat 6 (a la Porsche) is also perfectly balanced in the 1st and 2nd order as well as the inline 6 and V12.

The reason for the balancing is indeed intrinsic to the design. There are two main aspects, balance of forces (up/down displacement) and balance of moments (see-saw motion). A perfectly balanced engine, due to it's layout, will always have motion in equal and opposite directions at the same time.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1899683)   #21
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just re reading some of the posts here and something struck me. Dennis do your engines have main bearing problems? My engine bearings run pressurised oil between each slipper. Tell us about yours......sorry Denis or was it an oxymoron?.......trikes
Old 26 Apr 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1901023)   #22
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the impressive outputs achievable with BMW M series straight sixes and Nissan Skylines there can't be much wrong with the basis 'format' of a straight six - must've been something specific to the Opel/Vauxhall engine

Given their attachment to the big front engined rear wheel drivers, have always wondered why BMW have never tried a v6 given the packaging and handling advantages - as stated above the new M3 is a v8 as was the old M5.

The M3 started as a four, then straight six, then v8. The M5 started as a straight six then v8 now v10.

In other words everything except a v6.

Must be a reason....
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1903004)   #23
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Hey esper when I get a moment I will post some pictures up from the 60's of my 'Road' racer Healy 3000 which got me more chicks (we used that word in those days) and looks than any other car you can imagine, I warn you though purist Healy enthusiasts will NOT like it because, well I wanted a Cobra and there were no kits about then so I sort of altered the old girl a bit if you know what I mean. It did have raised compression and a twin system with massive tail pipes and sounded awesome when it fired up.

Oh I also took some inspiration from Mrs Segals works Healy that was based a mile or three from where I lived and was always parked outside her house!
so after all its all down to a "compromise" , its sounds as loving a woman. still wondering why healeys keep being that popular!!!!!!!!