Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:19 (Ref:3510916)   #2501
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedracing View Post
I will go a little further and say that it was actually an strategic move from Nissan not placing Quintarelli or De Oliveira in the line up. They are their best two drivers and stars in Japan. Bringing them to P1 would do two things, distract their attention from Japanese racing, and also possibly make them targets for Audi, Porsche or Toyota. I mean, inflate their salaries...
I though at least one of them would be in for Le Mans at the very least, not sure if not using your 2 best drivers is that good a strategy, the lineup doesn't have anyone on the level of guys like Lotterer, Davidson and Nakajima IMO, though I am happy to see 2 Spanish drivers on the team.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:23 (Ref:3510917)   #2502
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are some interesting comments in this article from Nissan's rivals regarding their GT-R LM.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117888
Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3510918)   #2503
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
What? I dont need to ask drivers to know the crash structures are there to handle the loads, not a firewall behind the engine. Ive been in an accident before in a road car nearly head on and was unharmed. They have crumple zones in front to absorb the energy. These race cars have even better materials and even higher standards. I think you misunderstood me. Hcl seemed like he was saying the firewall was there to prevent the engine intruding the cockpit on a collision. Then my reply was he'd be uninjured from the engine because of other safety features.
Question from my perspective is whether there is a shock absorbing structure between the engine and the front end of the tub ? There is evidently one in front of the gearbox, but what will prevent the engine from penetrating into the tub and possibly hurting the driver's legs ?

It would be interesting to understand if the front crash tests are performed with the full engine assembly in the case of the Nissan GT-R LM.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3510928)   #2504
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There are some interesting comments in this article from Nissan's rivals regarding their GT-R LM.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117888
Maybe this is me reading between the lines too much but it seems that they mostly think it won't work great. Too many compromises, but they don't want to say it won't work outright in case they are wrong.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3510950)   #2505
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Maybe this is me reading between the lines too much but it seems that they mostly think it won't work great. Too many compromises, but they don't want to say it won't work outright in case they are wrong.
They all seem to be damning it with faint praise...
Old 3 Mar 2015, 00:34 (Ref:3510962)   #2506
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Autosport has selective quoting. I would like to see the whole interview.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 02:46 (Ref:3510984)   #2507
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
They all seem to be damning it with faint praise...
I cant blame them. they are on the same boat as us. This is either gonna go real well, or going to s**t sideways
Old 3 Mar 2015, 03:44 (Ref:3510992)   #2508
Hiro
Racer

Hiro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR seems slow although it is warming up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmHHy0r4-g0
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3511046)   #2509
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Looks good to me, thanks for posting
Old 3 Mar 2015, 15:00 (Ref:3511196)   #2510
philipp
Rookie

Brazil
philipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys think that someone is going to post some lap times and speed of the Audi and the Nissan?

I'm curious about what this Nissan can do...
Old 3 Mar 2015, 17:30 (Ref:3511239)   #2511
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our very own Lanky Turtle is the first (and possibly only) person on the internet to capture the Nissan on track with another LMP1 car.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3511255)   #2512
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Our very own Lanky Turtle is the first (and possibly only) person on the internet to capture the Nissan on track with another LMP1 car.
We're undoubtedly lucky to have caught a glimpse of the Audi (In the R18 thread) and the Nissan. The speed comparison is a difficult one as only Nissan know what they are doing in testing. The Audi is visibly faster, but we have no idea what we are comparing at that time and on that place in the track. I do however feel that the Nissan's low speed cornering may be somewhat of a compromise. Those huge tunnels might need higher speeds to be truly effective.

Just my two cents.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3511257)   #2513
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yet how many sources on the web are crediting him with the video (other than link to youtube)?

I also noticed that the Audi video is outpacing the Nissan by about 3 to 1 in views.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3511266)   #2514
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps more telling than the car's speed (which is always a bit hard to judge in testing) is the fact that they apparently only managed two laps in two hours.

There have always been rumors that Nissan hasn't managed to do much running with the car yet, especially with the hybrid system working as well. So this might be an indication that they're still having some serious issues. Which also might explain why they weren't able to lure away big-name drivers to join them.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:34 (Ref:3511338)   #2515
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Its a good thing they have a whole week then, yeah? Im not worried about their pace. Theyll get it together sooner or later.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:39 (Ref:3511339)   #2516
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Perhaps more telling than the car's speed (which is always a bit hard to judge in testing) is the fact that they apparently only managed two laps in two hours.

There have always been rumors that Nissan hasn't managed to do much running with the car yet, especially with the hybrid system working as well. So this might be an indication that they're still having some serious issues. Which also might explain why they weren't able to lure away big-name drivers to join them.
Meh. Two laps in two hours isn't a big deal. Two small problems could easily take that long to diagnose, and repair. A four corner suspension adjustment could take 40 minutes or longer if you need alignments and stuff.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3511390)   #2517
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing that I'd question about that statement is that teams like Audi and Toyota, especially Audi, have gotten changing whole corners of their cars after accidents down to as little as 5 minutes reportedly.

In all fairness, though, Audi and Toyota probably know their cars' chassis packages, including suspensions bits, like the back of their hands by now, while the Nissan is still fairly new.

Still, it has to be a bit concerning rumors of a lack of pace and lack of reliability for the Nissan, espeically with the lack of evidence to support either the rumors or the contrary as of now.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:38 (Ref:3511398)   #2518
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing a bunch of suspension parts and resetting them to a known value is worlds different than finding that value, particularly when there are probably a dozen variables just in the suspension at each wheel, and a dozen other things which affect the suspension, plus the whole for/aft balance. Add to that, that the car is basically unused so know one knows what works or doesn't ... plus it has a brand new ERS system ... I am in the "They will work it out over time" category.

They better not make me look bad.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:38 (Ref:3511399)   #2519
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cars were still running last night after it got dark so who knows how long that went on. Nissan is either doing their serious running at night or later in the week.

I was at the track for a few hours again today but did not see the Nissan on track. I've been told it did at least 2 laps late this afternoon. I've spent about 5 hours there the last couple days and saw the Nissan for about 30 seconds
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3511406)   #2520
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When you say "at the track" I assume you mean "walking along the fence looking as inconspicuous as possible," or did they actually let you in?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:54 (Ref:3511408)   #2521
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yet how many sources on the web are crediting him with the video (other than link to youtube)?

I also noticed that the Audi video is outpacing the Nissan by about 3 to 1 in views.
It's ok, some people ask permission to use the videos, or do sometimes at least and I'm always fine with it. I'm not any sort of pro photographer, it's all about what's on track for me.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3511410)   #2522
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
When you say "at the track" I assume you mean "walking along the fence looking as inconspicuous as possible," or did they actually let you in?
That's correct, the track is closed so I just move around to different spots on the perimeter and don't hang out for too long. Though it is tempting to walk up with a lawn chair and a cooler full of beer
Old 4 Mar 2015, 01:30 (Ref:3511432)   #2523
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
We're undoubtedly lucky to have caught a glimpse of the Audi (In the R18 thread) and the Nissan. The speed comparison is a difficult one as only Nissan know what they are doing in testing. The Audi is visibly faster, but we have no idea what we are comparing at that time and on that place in the track. I do however feel that the Nissan's low speed cornering may be somewhat of a compromise. Those huge tunnels might need higher speeds to be truly effective.

Just my two cents.
Don't give them too much credit Every team looks like they know what they are doing!
Old 4 Mar 2015, 02:10 (Ref:3511444)   #2524
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Only thing that I'd question about that statement is that teams like Audi and Toyota, especially Audi, have gotten changing whole corners of their cars after accidents down to as little as 5 minutes reportedly.

In all fairness, though, Audi and Toyota probably know their cars' chassis packages, including suspensions bits, like the back of their hands by now, while the Nissan is still fairly new.

Still, it has to be a bit concerning rumors of a lack of pace and lack of reliability for the Nissan, espeically with the lack of evidence to support either the rumors or the contrary as of now.
Seeing as those bits are fully built, adjusted, and aligned, it's just a matter of disconnecting the halfshafts, quick connect brake line, and six bolts. One for each upright, and then the damper.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Mar 2015, 02:34 (Ref:3511452)   #2525
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
It's ok, some people ask permission to use the videos, or do sometimes at least and I'm always fine with it. I'm not any sort of pro photographer, it's all about what's on track for me.
Hey, LT, we appreciate your efforts and contributions. You are a part of what makes this sport exciting...intrigue, changes, secrecy, mind-blowing technology, passion.

Thanks for sharing!
Closed Thread