Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2485755)   #226
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
actually about as far from a historic wannabe as you can be - I think he races about 2-3 times a year. Very much in the take it or leave it school of racing. Looking at the times it seems it was:

BURNETT G/DIFFEY J/SCHRIVER M GB/GB/GB MERLYN MK4/6A 2:56.075
HARTLEY R/CLEVELY R GB/GB ELVA MK7 2:56.598
DRABBLE S/SHEAD J/ROBERTS B GB/GB/GB MERLYN MK6A 2:57.660

so as a part timer I reckon he didn't do too badly to be 0.52 of a second behind Garth who is a former pro driver.... and now I have looked he had fastest lap in the races at 2.567 - of the finishers as I see that Garth did a 2.559
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2485764)   #227
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That first team is a very handy line up! I assume you mean Gareth!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2485765)   #228
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2485774)   #229
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
Which fangio do you mean? Did the 10/10th Fangio ever race a Formula Ford?
By judging him in GTs, and if we could shoehorn him into a Merlin he would certainly be able to do a 53 at Spa with a view on getting another sec or 2 and which puts you nicely in a race. Allthought the other Fangio RIP would knock 3-4 secs off and embarise even talented drivers in much younger formula fords . To end the faritales: There is no better driverbenchmark than Formula Ford . But this is just my opinion , and I am luckily to do both historic FF and historic GTS
Esper I've no idea who the 10/10 fangio is however I'm under no illusion and both Fangio's would blow my doors off, but I thought it was quite funny......

On a slightly more serious note were the sports racer times refferred to above on Avon or Dunlop tyres? Avons must give 5 second advantage around Spa? The 2.53 in my FF was on Avons and a Merlyn MK6/Elva MK7 on Avons with a pro driver should be much faster than a Formula Ford.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2485784)   #230
simon drabble
Veteran

well I can only speak for my car - they were on Dunlops as we could not fit Avons under the bodywork rather annoyingly!!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2485790)   #231
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only Simon, you could have won you had modified the bodywork!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2485793)   #232
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray View Post
If only Simon, you could have won you had modified the bodywork!
we would have come second if we had not been held in the pitlane for half a lap when the two safety car snakes went passed but that is another story.
Suffice to say that I did not post our best time - I am not quick like the rest of you but I do get a car to the finish!!!!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2486027)   #233
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It was Dunlops only in dry in 05 race.Didn't know Garth was ever a professional driver.Not a very successful one as nobody has ever paid him to race.The Merlyn did 2 49 on different tyres in 04 for pole.Michael Schriber did not get in the car in 05 as electrical generator problem and Jimmy had a problem when a Porsche rearranged the bodywork.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2486404)   #234
simon drabble
Veteran

anyway we are now becoming guilty of the B crime of morphing the thread into a Spa 6 hour one!!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2486455)   #235
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,quite Simon,the culprit who changed it from Brands to Spa should be hung ,drawn and quartered. Good to see that it was'nt a B driver who did it.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2486463)   #236
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably a wanna B
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2486469)   #237
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2486470)   #238
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Losing your moustache has not improved your sense of humour!
Old 22 Jun 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2488045)   #239
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about the Brands Masters,........AVON's at Spa compared to Dunlops give about a 2,5/3 sec advantage.
We tested them back-to-back.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2488071)   #240
simon drabble
Veteran

Fangio what about the tyre wear because I thought Avons would require a tyre change (if dry) which would negate a lot of the time advantage... it is an interesting trade off... is it quicker to go out on Dunlops and have a set of Avons if it rains or run potentially two sets of Avons?
Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2488074)   #241
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I would expect that the heavier cars would only need for the leaners to be changed,if at all.I still think that we should ALL be using Dunlops whatever the weather.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2488095)   #242
fangio
Racer

Simon,
When we won in 2007 we did change the AVON's, but it could have been done without a change.
We specifically tried to prevent power oversteer out of the slower corners to keep the wear down a bit.
On Dunlop's I think with the Mustang we would need a tyre change anyhow.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2488098)   #243
simon drabble
Veteran

Thanks - as I am hopefully in a Mustang myself this year I shall pass this information on!! Certainly Avons keep more options open....
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2488105)   #244
fangio
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I would expect that the heavier cars would only need for the leaners to be changed,if at all.I still think that we should ALL be using Dunlops whatever the weather.
I think that on most cars the tyre cost will go up if we have to use Dunlops in long races like the 6 hours and in the rain they are nowhere as good as the Avon's.
On top of that we have seen a lot of inconsistency in tyre quality with Dunlop.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2488185)   #245
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That was my point fangio,the heavier cars will be brought more into line performance wise with lighter cars. There was no option available in period for endurance racing,it was purely down to the driver.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2490667)   #246
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One possible negative with the Avons is that with all the extra grip they put a lot more stress through the car - something to consider.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2490672)   #247
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Always a consideration Roger.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2491911)   #248
fangio
Racer

Roger I agree but the Avon's are not as sticky as the Yokohama's people used to run.
On my Elan I raced Dunlops and Avon's but refused to use Yoko's; they are modern and modern-looking
And those were unacceptable, but with any light racing car (not the shelby) one should always consider the loads.

Tags
historic motorsport, masters