Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Dec 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3944114)   #526
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Oddity 1 is a kit car, I think it's a Sylva, possibly the Stryker model.

I've no idea who the people are in the photos.

Not A Stryker- that was Caterham style body. I still think it’s a Ginetta - G27 possibly....
Old 1 Dec 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3944127)   #527
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Think Mike got it right with the Ginetta 27.
Thanks a lot for the Spitfire link, just wonderful! Yes worth a research.
You can hear about Ken Miles and Hopkirk! Safety? Well no harnesses and gazoline spills…

Last edited by Gerard C; 1 Dec 2019 at 21:40.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3944129)   #528
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The two Sprites Sebring look good too, # 48 and 49.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3944158)   #529
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
The two Sprites Sebring look good too, # 48 and 49.
The two special-bodied 'Sebring' Sprites ran in the 1.3 litre class, and weighed only 650kg, thanks to the whole body being replaced with a very simple streamlined aluminium version! Note even the wheels were special magnesium castings....

More good reading- http://classiccarphotography.com.au/...mans-for-sale/
Old 2 Dec 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3944166)   #530
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good reading, thanks and nice in orange. The front mobile air scoop must be efficient. May be TZ's are more discreet…
Old 2 Dec 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3944169)   #531
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the oddity of the Capri? There appears to be an extra NACA duct in the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Dec 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3944170)   #532
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good reading, thanks and nice in orange. The front mobile air scoop must be efficient. May be TZ's are more discreet…
Yes, TZ ducts more aesthetic! You’d guess that adjustable Healey scoop would allow a huge amount of extra airflow. I had a good look at the orange car a few years ago, and there is virtually nothing to the body except for an outer skin! Lovely car....
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3944183)   #533
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oddity 1 is a kit car, I think it's a Sylva, possibly the Stryker model.

I've no idea who the people are in the photos.

You don't recognise two of motor sport's greatest living legends?????

Sir Stirling Moss and Bauble, surely you must be joking?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3944227)   #534
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Now you say… I was wondering who was with bauble!

Yes the massive air scoop must act like an aero brake too…
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:29 (Ref:3944228)   #535
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oddity? Of the brawn Capri? None, sir! Just the way the reg plate could act like a front spoiler. Just that. Clever.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3944275)   #536
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post 516 , third picture down left hand side looks like Shane Lynch , former British GT driver , current Drift driver and member of everyone's favourite Irish Boyband , Boyzone .
Old 2 Dec 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3944291)   #537
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max, I hope that these monstrosities are to your liking, I found a few but they are not my usual fare;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6288.jpg   IMG_6289.jpg   IMG_6291.jpg  

IMG_6300.jpg   IMG_6301.jpg   IMG_6302.jpg  

Old 2 Dec 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3944315)   #538
bauble
Veteran

England
Perhaps these are too modern for Max, but I have a number of this era.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4928.JPG   IMG_4953.JPG   IMG_4959.JPG  

IMG_5034.JPG   IMG_5021.JPG   IMG_5054.JPG  

Old 2 Dec 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3944318)   #539
bauble
Veteran

England
after searching for less attractive cars I think it is time to get back to the original purpose of this thread, Proper cars.

And who could not love an ERA?
Attached Thumbnails
era.jpg   JPEG Image (28795).jpg   JPEG Image (39024).jpg  

IMG_9085.jpg   IMG_9156.JPG   JPEG Image (36026).jpg  

Old 2 Dec 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3944343)   #540
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Max, I hope that these monstrosities are to your liking, I found a few but they are not my usual fare;
Isn't that the Australian Veskanda . Quite a unique car.

Some more info:

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/...Chevrolet.html

You have hit the jackpot with these pics Bob
Old 3 Dec 2019, 04:21 (Ref:3944444)   #541
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Isn't that the Australian Veskanda . Quite a unique car.
I remember the car well, as I do the time the World Sports cars came to Sandown '1000' in 1984.... they buggered up the original track layout by adding a Mickey Mouse section at the end of the back straight to bring the track length up to the requirement for the World Championship of Makes regs. They called it the International Circuit. It was a horrid change and took away the fast left hand sweeper (a real tighten your belts big cohones test of courage) from the back straight down to Dandenong Road Corner, replacing it with a horrible hairpin.

Stefan Bellof and Derek Bell in their Rothmans Porsche 956 won what was a one off race down here.(The next two events were cancelled). I recall Jack Brabham, Alan Jones and Vern Schuppan also ran in factory Porsches. I also remember the race, scheduled to be 1000 klms had to be shortened by a big chunk because the Mickey Mouse bit added so much to the lap time (20sec/lap) that the race ran over the 6 hour time limit, losing about 200 klms from memory. It went from 8 turns to 13 turns, two of which were hairpins with two other tight turns.
As an aside I think the Veskanda did not make the race but was built primarily to take part in the cancelled 1985 event. It was built for a local photographer, Bernie Van Elsen by K&A Engineering. (Hence the name - Van Elsen Special K AND A
It did however clean up in the local Sports Car Championship with John Bowe at the wheel and is still considered the fastest ever Aussie made sportscar. It did however get to race against the Porsche 956 many years later in the 2011 Phillip Island Historics. I think it also ran in a Le Mans Legends race and also Sandown Historics, and Paul Stubber (who Iain met at P.I) ran it at Nurburgring a few years ago.

Video of the car at the 'Ring : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sylgz-AwJCc

Unfortunately we had to live with the Mickey Mouse section for too many years after, with it being changed back not until about 1990..

I wont post a pic of the layout here to not detract from the thread, (I feel guilty of that already with this waffle) but for those interested you can see what I mean here:
https://www.racingcircuits.info/asse...dbed8dcc4e.png
Old 3 Dec 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3944449)   #542
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not waffle, E.B! This thread is as much about education as looking at nice photos, even if that wasn’t Bob’s intention!

Presume the Veskanda runs an American V8?
Old 3 Dec 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3944452)   #543
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob's Modern Dozen hits the spot OK!

And yes I did recognise Sir Bauble and Mr Moss!

Old 3 Dec 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3944456)   #544
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not waffle, E.B! This thread is as much about education as looking at nice photos, even if that wasn’t Bob’s intention!

Presume the Veskanda runs an American V8?
Mike, you are right on both counts, I did not envisage much more than posting a few pictures before the idea faded away, however, the 'viewing figures' took me by surprise. Over 10,000 in three weeks!

It seems pictures are popular, and if they awaken old memories, and generate interest in times gone by, then that is fine by me, as I have stated before many are just pictures from the archive. In a lot of cases I have no idea what they are, but there is always some Clever Dick who does. A lot of Clever Dicks lurk around the Historic Forum.

Great memories EB, no probs. cobber.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3944457)   #545
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Bob's Modern Dozen hits the spot OK!

And yes I did recognise Sir Bauble and Mr Moss!

More will be added see calendar thread.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3944481)   #546
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just looking back at the picture posts , the brown 3000 Capri was driven by Nigel Barnett, he became famous on the 1998 Rally GB. On the Millbrook stage Nigel was competing on an historic rally prior to the main event. The imp he was driving thew lots of oil onto the stage. When the main event came though Tommi Makkinen in an Evo hit the oil & a concrete block burstig a tyre & doing damage to the back of the car. Makkinen continued on 3 wheels until stopped by the Police and retired. Makkinen was in contention to win the World Championship untill then. All Carlos Sainz had to do was finish in the top 4 to be champion, he retired on the last stage leaving Richard Burns to win & Makkinen to be World Champion.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3944482)   #547
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Just looking back at the picture posts , the brown 3000 Capri was driven by Nigel Barnett, he became famous on the 1998 Rally GB. On the Millbrook stage Nigel was competing on an historic rally prior to the main event. The imp he was driving thew lots of oil onto the stage. When the main event came though Tommi Makkinen in an Evo hit the oil & a concrete block burstig a tyre & doing damage to the back of the car. Makkinen continued on 3 wheels until stopped by the Police and retired. Makkinen was in contention to win the World Championship untill then. All Carlos Sainz had to do was finish in the top 4 to be champion, he retired on the last stage leaving Richard Burns to win & Makkinen to be World Champion.
I remember that happening. IIRC it more than burst the tyre, I think it may even have ripped the rear hub off too. I'm sure the BBC film crew actually had footage of him being stopped by the police!
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3944484)   #548
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could not remember if the came of in the accident or later on the road. The car was
OK when it passed by me on the stage.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3944489)   #549
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I seem to recall that, at the time, there were some rumours that Carlos Sainz had actually committed a very decent and honourable act by "retiring" on that last stage, when he could have, at the very least, struggled to the end within the first 4 places.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3944493)   #550
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Just had a look at post 509 the LM prototypes. My Guesses are 1, Oreca Formula Le Mans. 2, Luccini, 3, Radical SR9, Ginetta GZ09S 5, Courage Oreca 6, Lola Aston Martin DBR1