Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1861785)   #51
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82
Less than a dozen entries? Last I checked there were 14 for Sebring, and probably that same number for the rest of the season with the Cytosport LMP1, and the 5th RS Spyder. Check your facts..
I guess I should have put a 1 on there, some of you actually thing the class b p2 are important.

Quote:
Say Le Mans is irrelevant to Corvette, Flying Lizard, Risi, PWL, Audi, Intersport, etc. They will probably disagree.
Ask the average race fan about these cars-teams and the response will be, outside the Corvette: Who, what?
Ask them what a zytec is, and I will bet some will say an anti-acid.

Quote:
Whats so lousy about the rules? As far as I know the same rule set is being used by the LMS, and look at their field. However, they don't have a rival series over there that's akin to Grand-AM.
I do not care what works in Europe, and I am glad the euro series are doing well; the US series is dying, since Ferarri's appearance made '03 a highlight, it is more of the same, no wait, less, less and less.

Quote:
Also, whats unknown about a Porsche or Acura V8? I agree with you that Audi's diesel may have a boring sound because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the NA engines.
To repeat an earlier post: Porsche is maintaining an image it built with the start of the IMSA thirty plus years ago; beyond the Datsun Z, Japanese cars are considered grocery getters by the public.
If they used the name Honda, it might raise a few eyebrows.

Quote:
I can understand that you're not happy things are not the way they were, but the current US Sportscar racing scene is something that we'll look back on with rose colored glasses, much in the same manner that the 'purists' look back at the IMSA GTP era.
Only if one is blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other, things cannot get much worse except for the death of the series, and at least then, IF THERE STILL IS A MARKET, someone can try again and do it right.

Drag racing is booming; road racing is dying; some one got it right and some one got it wrong.
Bob
PS--What ever the ailment is, open wheel racing is suffering just as bad.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1861791)   #52
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
By what measurement are you making this claim?
By the measurement of the US press.
The 24 hours actually got enough paragraphs this year, to take a quarter page.
Sebring, much less any other IMSA race, will be lucky if it gets a couple of sentences.

Bob
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1861793)   #53
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP2 isn't important?
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1861802)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We are wandering (understatement!) off topic here. There are many threads on the distraction and if it is a new point please feel free to open a new thread. Please can we not let this general topic dominate all other interesting topics, even if it is always important.

Please keep this thread to the exciting new Lola.

Thanks.

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Mar 2007 at 12:49.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1861803)   #55
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Anyway back to the Lola, this is what I've gleaned, the coupe has undergone some wind tunnel work, but Lola are definatley anti pics at the moment. The only sketch in the public eye is the one in the Brochure however Hindy and I assume Malcolm from DSC have seen the 45% tunnel model of it.

But it does say on the Lola website that the Coupe will hit the tracks this year
If it makes you feel any better, I am curious to see what it looks like myself.
If some one put some Detoit iron under the hood, it - could - get very interesting.
Bob
Old 8 Mar 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1861881)   #56
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
If it makes you feel any better, I am curious to see what it looks like myself.
If some one put some Detoit iron under the hood, it - could - get very interesting.
Bob
The Lola would only be very interesting with "Detroit iron" under the hood? Your nostalgic "grass was greener" viewpoint is starting to get extremely tired. The Lola, most logical people would contend, will be interesting if it looks good and runs fast with what running gear it has in it, even moreso if that running gear is based on technology that wasn't obsolete sometime in the late Triassic.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1861909)   #57
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
The Lola would only be very interesting with "Detroit iron" under the hood? Your nostalgic "grass was greener" viewpoint is starting to get extremely tired. .
This has to do with nostalgia in what manner?
Your arrogant asininity is boring, but it is your opinion and you are welcome to it.
Bob
Old 9 Mar 2007, 05:27 (Ref:1862030)   #58
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This has to do with nostalgia in what manner?
Your arrogant asininity is boring, but it is your opinion and you are welcome to it.
Bob

Perhaps myself, and numerous other posters on this board who have at various times questioned the same attitude in your posts, are confused by the fact that you never seem to state anything that you like about modern sportscar racing.

To try and keep this topic on, well, topic, perhaps you could actually address what, per se, about this "Detroit iron" would make the Lola more interesting than a 5.5L Judd V10? Are you suggesting this from a marketing angle eg. name-recognition from a Big 3 manufacturer, which would make "Detroit brandname" a more appropriate turn of phrase? Or has my oh-so-boring arrogant asininity scared you away from answering?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1862056)   #59
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Upon reflection, I realize my tone could have been misconstrued. While I still object to the rather derogatory and insulting comments directed at me, I apologize if I was out of line.

I'd still like my question answered.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1862060)   #60
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Ask the average race fan about these cars-teams and the response will be, outside the Corvette: Who, what?
Ask the average American where Austria is , and he will tell you its in the Pacific , somewhere near New Zealand !!!

Americans manufacturers should support their own sportscar series , and they dont !!! The teams did support IMSA back in the 80's , which was almost the same as Group C . Why dont they support the ALMS now ?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1862073)   #61
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk

To try and keep this topic on, well, topic, perhaps you could actually address what, per se, about this "Detroit iron" would make the Lola more interesting than a 5.5L Judd V10?
I, and I imagine most hear, write a personal opinion, this is not group speak.
I do assume all here are smart enough to realize such, therefore as such, it would be interesting to me; but I do believe that several other posters have said they would like to see Chevy in p1; therefore again, it "could" be interesting if Detroit iron was under the hood.

Quote:
Are you suggesting this from a marketing angle eg. name-recognition from a Big 3 manufacturer,
Give the man a cigar.
Bob
Old 9 Mar 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1862284)   #62
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mods - some of us want to talk about Lola Coupes - but the thread seems to be getting hung up on a US vs EU debate...

Can we please get back to the Lola chassis - to be honest its going to be fitted with the same engines used by the roadster (AER/Audi/Honda? etc..)

But is there customer interest in a Coupe - Epsilon don't seem to have one despite a really clever design. I imagine a coupe has a significantly higher price tag...

see the last story here - on another LMP Coupe (LMPC?)
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsfeb07.html
Old 9 Mar 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1862295)   #63
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Interst iss there in a coupe, but the clincher here could be that Lola are looking at the potential for a manufacturer tie in - The major stumbling blocks really are - What incentive is there to develop/ buy a coupe if the open cars are still eligible from 2010 and would Lola offer this car simply as a factory car for a nominated partner and not as a customer chassis.

I'd suggest that if we see the Peugeot running at an advantage in some areas this season then interst will blossom in the concept - Either way the general state of the LMP market seems to be on the up just now.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1862495)   #64
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally I thought there is concern in buying a coupe, and then it might not fit the 2010 regs.

Now that the open top cars will be allowed to continue on into 2010 it doesn't make sense to go to a coupe until you know the exact regulations to base them on.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1862581)   #65
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Who put your knickers in a twist?? I have not said or seen posted a criticism of prototypes! I simply stated the fact that most people do not recognize a prototype as a specific brand!!! As to, if the U.S. doesnt get it........ You take the picture of an unliveried plain white Prototype and show it around to the general public in your neighborhood and at work and see just how many people can actually tell you what make the chassis is.

L.P.

p.s. I would like to see GM get back in to Prototypes. Heavily!

Nobody cares or could neccessrily recognise a protoype or F1 car.

Point is a Ferrari F1 car or Audi LMP1 is used to promote the brand and technology.

It just appears to me motorsport in the US is targeted at the lowest common denominator, if it's not a Ford or Chevy with Kelloggs plastered on it's side, no ones interested!
Old 9 Mar 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1862597)   #66
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Interst iss there in a coupe, but the clincher here could be that Lola are looking at the potential for a manufacturer tie in - The major stumbling blocks really are - What incentive is there to develop/ buy a coupe if the open cars are still eligible from 2010 and would Lola offer this car simply as a factory car for a nominated partner and not as a customer chassis.

I'd suggest that if we see the Peugeot running at an advantage in some areas this season then interst will blossom in the concept - Either way the general state of the LMP market seems to be on the up just now.
There was an article on DSC were the ACO said they'd give incentives to run 2010 coupes.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1862999)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, thread closed.

The topic has been ruined by unfriendly arrogant bickering taking us off topic. It isn't 10-10ths style.

Feel free to start another thread on the Lola, but this one is a lost cause.

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Mar 2007 at 12:55.