Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 May 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3905643)   #601
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Manning is disqualified from the event before it's even started...
Old 25 May 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3905650)   #602
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aye, Santa Pod entrance money is crazy these days.

Used to be a tenner for the Main event on a Friday til the guy that runs it realised how much money he was losing.

Just a place I don't go to big events too, simply not worth the money in this country, once you have experience a rain out you never try again!
Old 25 May 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3905660)   #603
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross is booming, bumper entry lists...

GB round entry list, 2016 - 24 | 2017 - 24 | 2018 - 25 | 2019 - 17

First round of Supercars ERX: 2017 - 32 | 2018 - 26 | 2019 - 17

Old 25 May 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3905673)   #604
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, let's hope tinseltown falls on its arse then.

Maybe they committed tons of money and they might run away, I doubt it, but here's hoping
Old 25 May 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3905765)   #605
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
You try and tell the morons that happily dole over 50 quid for it, had a few arguments with them on the page site, it's hilarious.

They keep comparing this to football, when will they ever learn.

Sadly, morons just hand over money without needing to know or care.

And this is why events like these are round and always will be
I went today. I don't mind spending 50 quid for two days' entertainment, which included grandstand seats I hope that the event moves away from Silverstone as the circuit is awful. But, it was an enjoyable day today. And the lunch time track entertainment was the best I've seen at a rallycross event. It's just a shame that there are probably 5-10 supercars too few, so there's not enough racing. The track would suit s1600 instead of RX2.

The pit thing is embarrassing. I hope they get a lot of stick for it.

And I'm not a moron. I just have different opinions and priorities to you. Honestly, you'd think this was akin to some of us crossing a picket line the way you carry on.
Old 26 May 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3905808)   #606
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
All I saw on telly was a ton of dust, on the brief highlights I saw. Crowd looked fair, as you would expect, but Santa Pod are offering far more for less money down the road so I hope that takes a decent amount of people away, most I know went there yesterday.

50 quid was the price quoted as a single day last time I looked which was about a week ago.

And honestly, I do think of it as a picket line, sorry, but I feel that strongly about what these people are doing and have done to the sport.

As you say, different strokes, but I will NEVER pay IMG a penny to watch rallycross anywhere, I am prepared to stand by that for as long as it takes, it won't make any difference, it never does because in many aspects of life people have no principles or don't believe in them as strongly as I do. SKY, BT Sport, event ticket prices as a whole, tv licence, shopping around in general.

Hey ho, you get what you pay for.
Old 26 May 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3905941)   #607
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Watched some coverage from Saturday but most of the camera's are placed way to low. Should put them on a 5 meter high tower.
Old 27 May 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3906259)   #608
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Aye, Santa Pod entrance money is crazy these days.

Used to be a tenner for the Main event on a Friday til the guy that runs it realised how much money he was losing.

Just a place I don't go to big events too, simply not worth the money in this country, once you have experience a rain out you never try again!

TBH it sounds like you’d rather not leave your house, for fear of paying £10 too much for some entertainment.

Personally I love drag racing so happy to spend the £100 for 3 days of racing, even if half of yesterday was rained off.

Can’t knock Keith Bartlett either, he’s a shrewd businessman but a lot of the money goes back into the venue, like the laying of a new track last year. He’s the only one making a venue like this work in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2019, 10:23 (Ref:3906285)   #609
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Simply put, when you recall only a few years ago the prices one was paying, there is little extra being done at the venues, (not just the Pod, which I think is worth it generally) but the asking prices have gone up severely.

I simply value, value.

A lot of modern folk do not and simply hand over money. Look at consumables like broadband, sport on telly, car insurance, train tickets these are all necessary for some people.

Paying more for sport to cover greed isn't.
Old 27 May 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3906301)   #610
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly I take exception to being called a moron, so yes I paid £50 in advance for a weekend ticket with grandstand and all in all with the music as well not bad value. I promise you some were just turning up in the evening so paying the same amount just for the music!

Right now I should add that yes £50 was good value but it still could have been so much better.

Firstly the circuit is dreadful, no drivers had anything positive to say about it and for spectators those without a stand ticket see next to bugger all. 1 line track with no gravel after Saturday practice and just a lot of dust. Also a jump that breaks cars,even causing Bennets fire.

Secondly the paddock situation is a joke with the euro runners almost treated like they were an inconvenience. Seriously could the stage and the few food stalls not be put somewhere else, preferably where you can sit on the grass and watch like at most real festivals?
Which takes us on to the extremely embarrassing events of the Saturday night where continuously the stage kept losing all power, at least 3 times during Sean Paul, no sound no lighting, no apologies from the organisers. Not a fan of the artist but credit to his patience.

Lastly watching people have to discard food and drink because they won't allow it in is quite disgraceful, no mention of that on your ticket. Though prices weren't horrendous, for a family having to fork out £10ish for each members meal plus drinks makes it very expensive plus having to queue for quite a time during peak periods and then by Sunday afternoon many outlets having run out making the choice even smaller.

So yes I did enjoy the weekend but i wish it wasn't at Silverstone and if it has to be then at least they take it seriously, invest some money in it and give everyone a fair deal whether that be Silverstone's responsibility or IMG, who are the ones so keen to have it there. I don't believe Silverstone care either way.
Old 27 May 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3906346)   #611
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Simply put, when you recall only a few years ago the prices one was paying, there is little extra being done at the venues, (not just the Pod, which I think is worth it generally) but the asking prices have gone up severely.

I think you’re living in past, I certainly don’t think that there has been a massive jump in a few years, as you suggest, with the exception of say Silverstone compared to Lydden. Certainly most other motorsport I attend seems to be largely the same as it has been for a decade or more. And as long as the weather is decent then Pod is pretty decent value with the amount of other stuff that goes on in addition to the racing.

Old 27 May 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3906358)   #612
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sorry but I think if you went and stayed despite all that, I cannot think of a better word.

Whole thing sounds like one of those Xmas Santa grotto things you read about in the Daily Mail.

Picket line would have been a good idea I think! I would be ashamed if I paid anything to go, sorry.
Old 27 May 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3906362)   #613
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prices has gone up in Höljes at least, not sure how much but people have to spend way more than they did 10 years ago.

For example, there was a caravan fee added in 2017, 100 SEK per caravan. Now imagine having about 1 000 caravans and that totals 100 000 SEK for the organisers. Easy money.
Old 27 May 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3906371)   #614
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the entree numbers and circuit and view is different I wouldn't mind paying a bit. But these days only Sweden and France can deliver. Sweden is pretty expensive to travel too (from Holland)...
Old 27 May 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3906391)   #615
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I don't blame the organisers for trying to recoup the hosting fee money.

My point is that this year, the series is so low key, there should not be a hosting fee in the first place, it is a nonsense.
Old 28 May 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3906499)   #616
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your point changes in each comment Chunder. Is it just this year that you feel that it's too low key to justify the fee? It feels like you've been banging the same drum forever.

Feel free to establish a picket line at the next event. Us scabs will swan through your line of one with a smile and a wave. At least picket lines share the same nostalgic value as Group B cars. Maybe IMG will let you parade around the circuit after the retros to remind everyone of the good old days.

Agree with Chasing Cars on the food point. Even the guys on the door didn't want to stop people coming in with food. And actually let a lot go. If you're going to ban people from bringing in food then the food at the venue has to be much more varied, plentiful and better value. The queues for food were terrible.

I think that the entries were disappointing for Silverstone. I suspect we will see many more in Nordics and France.

And the circuit is rubbish. I think that they could steal an idea from Spa and put a big banked hairpin after the jump!

But with all of that it was still a good weekend. The atmosphere at world events was good fun with the various fans from Europe and I enjoy seeing live Motorsport. There were some good battles and the weather largely held out. It was ok and just about acceptable for 50 quid. I wouldn't want to pay a pound more. Think that 40 quid would have been fair but can live with an extra tenner.
Old 28 May 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3906574)   #617
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
First post in ages from me on TT in general - would love to attend a WRX event in the future, especially to shoot it.

I love it.
Old 28 May 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3906590)   #618
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think for 14 hours entertainment on the Saturday and just over 12 on the Sunday £50 is not bad value. Yes not everything on is to everyone's taste but that is generally the case with festivals. As Hickey says the atmosphere both in the day and evening was great mainly thanks to the traveling European fans. I also thought the teams and drivers were far more accessible than recent years in the WRX paddock, no doubt due to the absence of manufacturers and so called star drivers.

To be honest the circuit needs a complete re think, it obviously didn't cost much to build so to start again wouldn't be any loss to anyone. Even running it in reverse might be better with the start line opposite the Stowe centre, but still all the tight sections need changing.
Its only right to let's the public see what these cars can really do. The drift cars actually looked good (yes I said it) and quick running the opposite way into turn 1.
Whether they make changes or not there must be more seating put up so far more can actually see the racing. I was lucky and had a stand ticket but I believe quite a number of those that didn't tried to get in unnoticed. If there was more seats or banking then this wouldn't be an issue.

If it's the same price again next year would I go? Yes as long as the entry doesn't decline further and there's still music etc, so guess that make me a complete moron as no doubt it will a few thousand other people!
Old 6 Jun 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3908229)   #619
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sort of on topic, but the latest Bakkerud video takes a look around the Doran garages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cKLDVZJhU

Pretty impressive collection of rallycross cars: though I note there is no sign of the ex-JRM MINI(s)?

NB: Liam REALLY needs to cut his hair!
Old 6 Jun 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3908271)   #620
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoying following Bakkerud through his YouTube channel for the highs and lows of the event plus a few laughs (his pronunciation of Spa Francorchamps was hilarious). Didn’t follow WRX at all before I started following his YouTube channel.
Old 6 Jun 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3908317)   #621
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Dorans have some serious money, I wonder how much of LD Motorsports is down to Liam and how much (if at all) Pat.

No. Continuity error? Thought Liam had his head shaved in Spa?

Old 7 Jun 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3908422)   #622
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen all of them, but most of the Bakkerud videos I have seen have been watchable. Pity there isn't a bit more time spent on the individual cars in that Doran workshop video.

Just uploaded some pictures from Silverstone, few faves...

...more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57708971275916

If anyone is interested.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3908444)   #623
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Great photos as always, you must be well chuffed with the Larsson one!

Old 7 Jun 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3908448)   #624
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Nice shots

I didn't realise that Munnich had 3 Leons (I thought they just had 2) - how many cars does that man own!

Has to be said that I really don't like the "rat look" on the Meganes - I know it's supposed to look shabby but they just look awful. Just run a proper Bilstein livery and be done with it!
Old 7 Jun 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3908455)   #625
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Great photos as always, you must be well chuffed with the Larsson one!
I didn't think that particular angle was as good for photos this year (I thought it looked better when you had people on the building in the background), but Larsson was getting massive amounts of air through there, so chuffed to catch that!

A significant chunk of my pictures from the weekend are of the ex-EKS S1's: I think they look so much better in the various liveries this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Nice shots
Cheers Bert!

Quote:
I didn't realise that Munnich had 3 Leons (I thought they just had 2) - how many cars does that man own!
Lots! I have a vague recollection of three Leons being mentioned last year (one with front mounted radiator and two with rear mounted) and noticed that all three at Silverstone looked to have front mounted cooling packages, so I assume he has converted the two rear radiator cars to front mounted.

I think the Leon is a great looking rallycross Supercar, but I especially liked it with the grey livery that Munnich was running.

Quote:
Has to be said that I really don't like the "rat look" on the Meganes - I know it's supposed to look shabby but they just look awful. Just run a proper Bilstein livery and be done with it!
100% agree: a "full" livery on both would look so much better in my personal opinion.