Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 11 Apr 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2175232)   #1
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dos and don'ts...

Hi guys (and girls), I know I've asked for your help on many things before, but as far as I can tell you're not only more helpful but rather more friendly than most other institutions that might help.

I've managed (finally) to secure a photo pass for the FIA GT at Silverstone in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if you guys could point me at the dos and don'ts I need to know- even the most basic stuff, as I've not really done this before. I've heard about not leaning on barriers, and apparently not wearing skirts, but any other stuff would be hugely useful.

Thanks (hugely) in advance
Old 11 Apr 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2175269)   #2
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Safety Briefing

The notes underneath are from the FIA GT Media delegate.............they are pretty clear and have been in force for several years.

The points to emphasise are as follows:

Work out what shots you need to complete your assignment and plan your shooting accordingly, be realistic about what you can achieve in the time available.

Follow instructions from Marshals etc., they are experienced in what might happen trackside.

Do not get in the way of crew, drivers and officials in the pitlane.

When in the pitlane don't "chimp" every shot, once satisfied with exposure etc concentrate on the job of photography and leave reviewing the results till later.........at pit stops start with the front of the car and work backwards and try not to get in other photographers' shots.........especially do not get in the way of the TV crews..........they have priority.

Use common sense to determine whether other cars are coming in.

Don't assume that tyres will always be changed.

Respect the other accredited media, some of whom earn their living through racing...........so perform a quick risk assessment when deciding on a place to shoot...doing something stupid or dangerous will not only jeopordise you but could affect the ability of others to make pictures and money.

If a situation feels dangerous or risky, then it probably is, move, no shot is worth getting hurt for.

The most important tool that a photographer has is the brain..........use it at all times.

SECURITY AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION - IMPORTANT
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY.
1. TABARDS
Race by race passholders round the track or in the pit lane must wear an TABARD. Full-season tabards are valid for
both pit lane and track.
2 : PHOTOGRAPHERS WINDOWS
A photographer who is taking picture through a window in the fence MUST respect his colleagues.
No one has the right to occupy a hole for more than 5 minutes. Please respect this limit and then step back to give your
colleagues the same opportunity. Please be careful when using the holes – their edges can be sharp !
3 : SECURITY BARRIERS
For security reasons, it is forbidden to lean on the barriers. You may not cross these barriers, or place your cameras on
these barriers. Do not stand in breaks in the barriers.
4 : PIT LANE RESTRICTIONS - PLEASE TAKE CARE.
The pit-lane is a place of work, and can be dangerous, especially during the FIA GT race, when refuelling takes place.
You may only access the pit-lane if you have a PIT LANE pass
You may not stand on the pit wall or under the wall unless you have a PIT WALL pass.
Wear sensible clothing. Shorts, skirts and open-toed shoes are not advisable, and will be banned in the pit lane during
the FIA GT race. Camera crews are advised to wear fire suits if they are filming in the pit-lane during the FIA GT race
Remain alert at all times. If someone is waving a pit board in front of you, a car is almost certainly coming up behind
you. Get out of the way !
Remember that cars want to leave as soon as possible after their stops. Be aware of this, and move to the back of the
car rapidly.
5: PARC FERME
Parc Fermé is out of bounds to the Media.
6 : RACE OFFICIALS
Media may not contact the FIA Race Director, Technical Director or Stewards of the Meeting directly, unless they are
directly instructed to do so. They should contact the Media Delegate in case of any problems.
7 : PODIUM
The only photographers allowed on the podium are the host TV cameraman, the Official photographer of the circuit and
the official photographer of the Championship.
8 : VIDEOCAMERAS
A photographer’s pass only grants you the right to take still pictures.
Digital video cameras taking moving pictures will be considered as TV cameras, and therefore CONFISCATED unless
sporting the appropriate TV camera sticker.
Unauthorized shooting of moving pictures may results in a REFUSAL OF MEDIA CREDENTIALS for subsequent
event(s).
9 : TV CAMERAS
All TV crews must have a CAMERA STICKER on each camera and the cameraman must wear a TABARD.
10 : MARSHALS
Obey all instructions from the marshals and officials. They are there for your safety. In case of problems, please do not
attempt to solve problems yourself, but report them to the Media Delegate (tel : +41 79 206 4661)
If you encounter any problems, please report them to the FIA Media Delegate or the National Press Officer
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THEM YOURSELVES.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2175296)   #3
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Thankyou very much

I do have a little bit of pitlane experience, having snuck there before- and I think keeping clear of moving race cars is common sense!
Old 11 Apr 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2175377)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Thankyou very much

I do have a little bit of pitlane experience, having snuck there before- and I think keeping clear of moving race cars is common sense!
You think? You'd be surprised how quickly they go from not being moving to moving very quickly and how easy it is to be caught out and I'd be tempted to say your comment indicates your inexperience (no offence intended).

A pit lane with refuelling stops and driver changes bears very little resemblence to a normal pit lane where the only people who come in are those who's races are over. A GT pit lane will be manic, there will be cars coming at you from all angles, there will be noise from the track so your senses will be all over the place.

As a (sometime) pit marshal, what I would emphaise from Mr B's post is starting at the front of the car and working towards the back whilst watching for TV crews, flying air hoses and wheels. Do not assume that you will be able to move once you think the stop is over - I can pretty much guarantee you that your reflexes will not match that of the driver. Oh also remember that bits that come off of cars are hot, damn hot.

Don't be surprised or offended if pit crew manhandle you out of the way, to be honest, rookie snappers are a significant problem (for crews and marshals) in a pit lane, the crews tend to know the familiar faces that they can trust and will treat everyone else as a potential source of problems and danger.

I'd hope that you won't get pit lane access on your first outing, so these points may not be hugely relevant.

Out around the track, the key point would be to avoid having your back to the track wherever possible, watch and listen to the marshals and keep your eyes and ears open at all times. When you arrive at a new position, stand for a moment to get a feel for how cars behave at that spot - this gives you a heads up for when one is getting it wrong - this is good for your safety and might get you good shots.

Take waterproofs, sun lotion, water etc. and do not at any time make yourself a danger to others.

Oh....and don't put your bag down in the pit lane
Old 11 Apr 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2175410)   #5
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blimey..didn't realise how much there is to know about been a photographer with a media pass

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 11 Apr 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2175434)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealillusion
blimey..didn't realise how much there is to know about been a photographer with a media pass

Any fool can turn up and take pictures.

Doing so without putting yourself and others at risk takes a bit more...
Old 11 Apr 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2175559)   #7
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A most pertinent thread as I have my first accredited job tomorrow at Silverstone shooting for one of the teams (sorry Piglet, I'm only there tomorrow so can't help you with your presentation pics). I have to say I am a little apprehensive but certainly looking forward to it.

It's all good advice here although I've read the GT thing somewhere else but it was good to be reminded of it. I have what some would consider to be a dangerous day job so on the spot risk assessment is something I'm quite happy with and so hopefully I should be all too aware of the dangers and everything should be good.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2175578)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Piglet, I've done Pit Lane in the orange Nomex. As you say, novice snappers are something to be trod on...

I have snuck into pitlane,and taken pix on occasion, but I have NEVER done anything other than what I've been told.

Jake, ALWAYS be aware of what is happening 'upstream' of you. If you see the next marshal post down waving a GREEN flag? There's a YELLOW right behind you. DUCK! INCOMING!!!

Apart from that, take care, and enjoy yourself you jammy wee scrote.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2176694)   #9
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was in the same position last year as I had my first few media passes too.

You'll get given a map of the circuit layout when you sign on at the media centre. This will have all the red areas on, where you're not allowed to go.

Don't forget £10 for the media vest rental and £5 for the locker (now that I didn't know about).

Never be afraid to talk to the marshals if you're not sure. I asked a few questions last year, and they were brilliant in their help and guidance. And always do as they say.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2176776)   #10
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Jake, ALWAYS be aware of what is happening 'upstream' of you. If you see the next marshal post down waving a GREEN flag? There's a YELLOW right behind you. DUCK! INCOMING!!!
If the yellow's waving, it's already happened...

And yes, I understand pitlanes- I have been doing this a while as a simple spectator, and have bummed around garages at Spa 24 hour and LMS events before. I am a sensible lad.

Where are the lockers?

And can you choose to retain the vest and leave the tenner? It'd be something of a good souvenir.

We've all got to start somewhere...

Last edited by minimangler; 14 Apr 2008 at 01:54.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2176851)   #11
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the years and there are lots off them these are some of the things I've spotted in pit lanes.

1. Laying down in the pit lane taking a nice "arty" shot the snapper was unsighted by the driver in the next garage coming in to change tires, the snapper was clipped by the car go the shock of his life.

2. Walking between fours wheels and the crew and wondering why everyone was shouting at him when he turned round he finally saw the car that was just about to run him over.

3. Back when Audi used launch control (this allows the driver to select go and the car hits the deck at the pit lane speed limit) one guy was taking pictures of the driver as the car hit the deck if one of the crew had not had hold of his neck he would be an ex snapper.

Just remember one simple fact to the crew you are expendable their only concern is if you get in the way of their car.

Simple rules for pit lane KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN. Look where your walking and walk where your looking, NEVER walk with you back to the flow of traffic and if you do develop "fighter pilots twitch" look behind you every few seconds, always look up the pit lane when you hear the klaxon they are trying to tell you there is a car coming!

But above all enjoy and stay alive......
Old 14 Apr 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2176853)   #12
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Over the years and there are lots off them these are some of the things I've spotted in pit lanes.

1. Laying down in the pit lane taking a nice "arty" shot the snapper was unsighted by the driver in the next garage coming in to change tires, the snapper was clipped by the car go the shock of his life.

2. Walking between fours wheels and the crew and wondering why everyone was shouting at him when he turned round he finally saw the car that was just about to run him over.

3. Back when Audi used launch control (this allows the driver to select go and the car hits the deck at the pit lane speed limit) one guy was taking pictures of the driver as the car hit the deck if one of the crew had not had hold of his neck he would be an ex snapper.

Just remember one simple fact to the crew you are expendable their only concern is if you get in the way of their car.

Simple rules for pit lane KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN. Look where your walking and walk where your looking, NEVER walk with you back to the flow of traffic and if you do develop "fighter pilots twitch" look behind you every few seconds, always look up the pit lane when you hear the klaxon they are trying to tell you there is a car coming!

But above all enjoy and stay alive......
Old 14 Apr 2008, 06:29 (Ref:2176855)   #13
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
And now I'm seeing double!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2176885)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Well MM sounds like you believe you know all their is to know....So good luck....

For anyone who does want to learn, one additional point, where SA says start at the car and work back, the sensible approach is to stand at the offside of the car as it comes in so that the car goes between you and the garages. Standing on the inside of a car as it comes in leaves you vunerable if the driver clips the tyres, tyre trolley, air guns, crew etc. etc. It also means you have to cross in front of the car and if it's a very short stop you may not be that quick (in the old days of BGT the Lister Storm used to driver change in around 7 seconds!)
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2176891)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
That was scary scary stuff that launch control....

At one Silverstone round (I think it was the ALMS night race?) we had a pit lane jammed full of people who had been issued media passes (you'll note I don't say media people), most of these seemed to be hospitality guests who had absolutely no idea what was going on.

The crews were going ballistic as they couldn't get their cars in and out of their pit stops and the race was really tight, we couldn't do anything about it as they all had valid media passes and in the absence of individuals doing anything really stupid we're not in the business of chucking validly accredited people out - plus we were exposing our own marshals to a huge amount of additional risk by trying to police it (normally at somewhere like Silverstone (unless we've got a marshal per garage) we'll marshal from the wall to avoid putting people at risk).

I seem to recall we called down the head of media to look at what was going on as we were incredibly worried that either the race was going to be influenced by punter induced pit stop problem or a number of people were going to get hurt.

At the last Audi "splash and dash" pit stop there were in excess of forty people around the stop and we having to rope it off to keep the prats out from the front of the car.

Not a fun time!

FIA GT's are much better though as the media accreditation is dealt with well by Jacquie Groom so you don't get media punters.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2176953)   #16
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you should definitely wear a skirt, it might get you into areas that the regular pass doesn't
Old 14 Apr 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2177162)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I think you should definitely wear a skirt, it might get you into areas that the regular pass doesn't
Hmmm I dunno, in England if the girls are wearing little short skirts there is usually a vast amount of pasty white skin underneath it...I can't speak for the blokes but I doubt it's very attractive....

Lycra is a better bet....

I nearly got drummed out of Powertour a few years ago for campaigning for grid boys in lycra
Old 14 Apr 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2177196)   #18
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Well MM sounds like you believe you know all their is to know....So good luck....
Thats a bit harsh! At no point did I say that at all.

If I did, would I have even set up this group?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2177255)   #19
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I had a successful day at Silverstone, I didn't get run over, I didn't upset any marshals and I got some great pictures. Looking forward to doing it again.

This renting a vest for 10 quid thing, is that common practise then? No problems at Silverstone because they had run out of them by the time I arrived so instead I got a written note to show to anyone who asked but fortunately all the marshalls had been informed beforehand that there would be photographers about the place without vests so it was never a problem.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2177302)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB
Well I had a successful day at Silverstone, I didn't get run over, I didn't upset any marshals and I got some great pictures. Looking forward to doing it again.

This renting a vest for 10 quid thing, is that common practise then? No problems at Silverstone because they had run out of them by the time I arrived so instead I got a written note to show to anyone who asked but fortunately all the marshalls had been informed beforehand that there would be photographers about the place without vests so it was never a problem.
Well done! Glad you had a good day.

Renting a vest is common at the international meetings, LMES, FIA GT's, Le Mans, Spa and stuff like that. At the normal everyday meetings at English circuits you won't usually have to pay.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2177306)   #21
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's really **** is when the photogs get a vest where there is a limited amount, ie Goodwood events, then sit around having a pampered lunch and chin wag when somebody could be using it.

PS Don't do this

Last edited by zac510; 14 Apr 2008 at 16:01.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2177311)   #22
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
And remember at LMS and Le Mans having the correct ACO inspected fireproof pants, Just remembered the accident on the grid at Le Mans year before last when one of the Hawaiian guys had his ankle shattered by a car (being pushed) when the splitter got him when he was talking and not looking!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2177441)   #23
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
For LMS you have to have fireproof trousers??
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:01 (Ref:2177730)   #24
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
The same as Le Mans, ACO inspected and approved fire proof suit is mandatory for all media in pit lane

from the accreditation email from the ACO

Chers amis,

Je vous rappelle que nous sommes dans l’obligation Ã* partir de cette année d’appliquer la nouvelle réglementation concernant le port de combinaisons anti-feu pour accéder Ã* la Pit Lane durant les meetings Le Mans Series.

Cette règle s’appliquera dès les 1000 Km de Catalunya.

Merci de noter que :

- Le port de cette combinaison est valable dès les séances d’essais du vendredi et jusqu’Ã* la fin de la course

- Pour les courses de support, le port de cette combinaison est conseillé mais non obligatoire

- Des combinaisons seront en vente au prix de 130 euros TTC en salle de presse, réglables en carte bleue ou espèces

Merci de lire les documents en pièce jointe.

Cordialement,

Marine

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Friends,

I remind you that we have to apply the “special clothing for Pit Lane” regulation which will be enforced during the Le Mans Series meetings from this year on.

This rule will be put into practice from the 1000 Km of Catalunya.

Please notice that :

- Wearing overalls is mandatory from the free and qualifying sessions up to the end of the race

- Concerning the support races, wearing of overalls is recommended but not mandatory

- Overalls will be on sale in the media centre. The price is 130 euros all taxes included, that you can pay by credit card or by cash

I thank you for reading the attached documents.

Best regards,

Marine
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2177733)   #25
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LMS Pitlane Rules

After the fire in the pitlane during practice for the 2007 Monza event the ACO decided that media needed to wear protective clothing while working in the pits........

As the ACO, and for an obvious question of security, the wearing of overalls will
be COMPULSORY in the pit lane (plus the accreditive tabard which gives access
to this area).
Of course, our criteria are the same as those the ACO established for the 24
Hours of Le Mans, that is to say:
- Each person accredited for the Pit Lane must procure this garment which
will not be supplied by Le Mans Series;
- These overalls must offer a real degree of protection: anything from a
minimum of 100% cotton (flame-proof) to a greater degree of protection
against fire (Norm 8856 2000);
- This overall, plain and light coloured (white, beige, light grey) must not bear
any publicity, logos, brand-names, etc…
Failure to respect any of these criteria may lead to the withdrawal of this Pit Lane
accreditation.
BEWARE: the simple wearing of overalls will not systematically give access to
the Pit Lane and only the Press Department may decide to whom an accreditive
tabard is to be granted.

Apologies Happy Snapper, we obviously are posting at the same time

MM the impression that you know all there is to know about GT pitstops and pitlanes would be reinforced to a casual reader by your own posts

and

And yes, I understand pitlanes- I have been doing this a while as a simple spectator, and have bummed around garages at Spa 24 hour and LMS events before. I am a sensible lad.

Pitlanes during FIA GT races are very competitive places.......the two hour, two pit stop format introduced last year means that every second spent in the pits can be crucial to the outcome of the race, more so than any other series as there is less time on track to make up for any mistakes in the pits.

The other factor that is outside your experience is the pressure put on a photographer to get the shot and fulfil an assignment. Even with the simple digital cameras of today a high degree of concentration is required to get the "right" shot, mix that with the urgency of the activity surrounding you, in an environment that you have no real experience of, in those conditions, and you can understand why some are urging caution.

Go and enjoy shooting without the restrictions of catch fences but keep in mind the first task is to act in a manner that will not expose you or others to unnecessary risks and the second is to shoot well enough to satisfy your editor and get asked back. In reality the third aim should be to make money for your professional efforts but I will let that debate lie for another time.

Last edited by Samoan Attorney; 15 Apr 2008 at 06:14.