Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Apr 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2181878)   #1
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan GT-R

I was just looking at the times of the Nissan GT-R (V spec) at the Nürburgring and its made me think how poor some other cars have performed.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2181982)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The GT-R makes some other cars look poor.

They're not really, it's just that the Nissan is phenomenal. It goes straight to the top of the list of Japan's greatest cars ever.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2182048)   #3
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It certainly is a very capable machine. The standard GT-R is widely considered to have substancially more power than the official figures stated by Nissan. A possible reason why the GT-R V-Spec also seems to be punching so far above its weight?

Question- Re Nissans DSG gearbox.. how much time is this worth alone on a Lap, not only in gear change saving time but also by keeping boost pressure at its maximum?
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2182241)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJR1
I was just looking at the times of the Nissan GT-R (V spec) at the Nürburgring and its made me think how poor some other cars have performed.
Take a look at where the timing loops were for the GT-R runs, and where the construction sections were as well.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2183878)   #5
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Take a look at where the timing loops were for the GT-R runs, and where the construction sections were as well.
did they effectively shorten the track?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2191469)   #6
Tim_
Rookie

Tim_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presuming from what AU N EGL has said, and that maybe the track was 'shortened', do you have any idea by how much???
Old 2 May 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2192246)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The car is so fake, it's not even worth it.
Old 2 May 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2192613)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
The car is so fake, it's not even worth it.
WHAT?!

Sorry. Explain please!
Old 2 May 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2192789)   #9
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, like I'm supposed to believe a car with '450bhp' and weighs 3800lbs, is able to beat a Porsche Carerra GT, Which makes 615bhp, and weighs 3000lbs. If that isn't the biggest crock of **** in the world, please show me another. Not to mention the CGT has a hugely lower centre of gravity.
Old 2 May 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2192826)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
WHAT?!

Sorry. Explain please!
matt does have a valid point though, the nissan in comparison is a lot heavier than a carrera GT and a lot less powerful and does have a much higher centre of gravity, the only thing i can think the nissan has in its favour is the 4wd and all that gadget crap on it which helps it to be quicker, but being honest im not so much of a fan of the new GTR, just looks like a puffed out turbocharged 350Z.

would much rather have a audi R8 or aston martin V8 vantage over it anyday of the week.
Old 2 May 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2192942)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The times are there in black and white, the reviews are there in black and white. It is every bit as stunning as the claims.

And I'm sorry but I simply don't believe any made up **** about the 'Ring times somehow being wrong or fixed or invalid. That is just sour grapes from those who can't cope with the idea a 'Datsun' can be so quick.
Old 3 May 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2192964)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
The times are there in black and white, the reviews are there in black and white. It is every bit as stunning as the claims.

And I'm sorry but I simply don't believe any made up **** about the 'Ring times somehow being wrong or fixed or invalid. That is just sour grapes from those who can't cope with the idea a 'Datsun' can be so quick.
FYI, I drive a Datsun. There is NO possible way that it is a standard GT-R.
Old 3 May 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2193439)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
FYI, I drive a Datsun.
And damned fine cars they are too.

Nice avatar by the way - I drive a Subaru.
Old 15 May 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2202884)   #14
Nortad
Rookie

Nortad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
every car is fast when they are introduced to the press...

if its so fast why it isnt getting away from this gt3 on the video? to achieve that kind of time on the ring it should get massive distance from the gt3 away from the corners, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3mppVrzVOE
Old 15 May 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2203339)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortad
every car is fast when they are introduced to the press...

if its so fast why it isnt getting away from this gt3 on the video? to achieve that kind of time on the ring it should get massive distance from the gt3 away from the corners, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3mppVrzVOE
I like this guy.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2275824)   #16
meb
Rookie

United States
Wappinger Falls, New York
meb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...looks like he ran out of track at about the same point he encountered a slower moving mass...perhaps he was fixing his hair...he was on YouTube!

I also wonder about the claimed power to wieght ratio...but I am humbled by by own experience; my wife's 2008 2.0 Passat wagon is just a tick slower than my 2005 JCW Mini to 60 mph. Better torque curve and paddle shifting help the nearly 1,000lb heavier Passat.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2276209)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Interestingly, there maybe a more realistic explanation as to why the GT-R seems to be so much quicker than its official power figures suggest.

Each GT-R engine is hand built, each one is a little different, and every single one to come out of the factory has - I'm told - been figured at 'significantly more' than the official BHP.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2279334)   #18
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
From the engine note in the following car, he wasn't really trying very hard. Changing at very low RPM.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2279502)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interestingly, there maybe a more realistic explanation as to why the GT-R seems to be so much quicker than its official power figures suggest.

Each GT-R engine is hand built, each one is a little different, and every single one to come out of the factory has - I'm told - been figured at 'significantly more' than the official BHP.
IRC Road and Track magazine put theirs on a dyno and it was around 540hp.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2279684)   #20
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Rolling road or engine dyno (ie just the engine without all the gbox and transmission)?

I wouldn't really trust a rolling road figure as far as I could throw Jade Goody.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2280076)   #21
meb
Rookie

United States
Wappinger Falls, New York
meb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't remember now - I'm old - but one of the three big US car magazines dynoed four different GT-Rs for the current issue. They believe the cars are actually putting our about 530hp. They used a Mustang dyno.

So, this is a little more power, relatively speaking. I would look at power curves, four wheel drive and the paddle shifting to help explain other differences.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2281127)   #22
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have been running the GT-R around Silverstone for the last few weeks, while we've been on the National circuit, they have been on the South circuit. Lovely looking cars, and quick too.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2282518)   #23
rob28
Rookie

Canada
Dryden, ON (another UK deserter)
rob28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if anyone saw Autocar a couple of weeks ago with their annual 0-100-0 challenge.
The GT-R was quicker than the Gallardo Superlegerra which has more BHP and weighs a lot less. This car just seems to defy the laws of physics and is probably one of the most awesome cars ever (from an engineering point of view) along with the Veyron.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2283001)   #24
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to photograph them today at Silverstone, and they are impressive. They are now moving onto the Nurburgring, which I would like to see (or indeed be in the passenger seat for a few laps!)
Old 9 Sep 2008, 03:21 (Ref:2285252)   #25
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan GTR=Cool car, FACT.