Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3262843)   #1226
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
the only reason Indycars gets a bit of media here is cause of Will Power, who keeps choking, and throws tantrums like a spoilt brat, other than that, nobody knows this series exists. Indycars wishes they got the same attention as NASCAR. somethings gone wrong with this sport and they need to fix it b4 it dies.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3262859)   #1227
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
the only reason Indycars gets a bit of media here is cause of Will Power, who keeps choking, and throws tantrums like a spoilt brat, other than that, nobody knows this series exists. Indycars wishes they got the same attention as NASCAR. somethings gone wrong with this sport and they need to fix it b4 it dies.
This is why Mike Miles and Derrick Walker have presented a strategy for innovation.

http://morefrontwing.com/2013/06/02/...-and-timeline/
Old 15 Jun 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3262880)   #1228
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This is why Mike Miles and Derrick Walker have presented a strategy for innovation.

http://morefrontwing.com/2013/06/02/...-and-timeline/
Which seems to indicate that the DW12 will remain through 2018 (!), though with some modifications along the way.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3262882)   #1229
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The limited amount of bodywork developments for the road/street course kit is more than a little disappointing.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3262887)   #1230
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Texas race got a 1.0 rating, high by Indycar standards but the lowest prime time sports TV rating on network in History.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3262939)   #1231
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Doesn't matter what I approve of or not. As it stands the series has no full time journalists that cover it anymore and it doesn't get any interest from media or the public.

Proof is in the results of no real tv audience, struggling to maintain venues and empty or half empty stands.

Also DRT, if you have information or your own opinion, feel free to add and lay out the case of all this supposed massive media coverage of the irl. Otherwise stop wasting my time with all your nagging petty personal jibes.
Obviously with the silence from hq the above is deemed on topic in a news and rumours topic? Please advise if not and il remove the below post.

No personal jibes mountainstar, just that on every other forum at ten tenths posts require sourced material to back up posts. Not here it seems where people can post large wide sweeping statements without any fact or sourced material to support the post. Eg "No news outlet beyond speed and indy star reports on indycar." When another newspaper is referened to report on indycar the response posted is that "no sorry they don't count"

At other times quoting "diminishing crowds across all venues" and when asked where's the source, the response is "oh ask another poster, he knows"

Can you see people's concern with a lack of quality and accurate discussion occurring here?

I don't think anyone here has suggested Indycar has a huge media following (another sweeping statement put forward by a poster), if they have please reference the post. However responding to and questioning vague unsourced posts I don't think is wasting anyone's time here.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3263057)   #1232
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Obviously with the silence from hq the above is deemed on topic in a news and rumours topic? Please advise if not and il remove the below post.

No personal jibes mountainstar, just that on every other forum at ten tenths posts require sourced material to back up posts. Not here it seems where people can post large wide sweeping statements without any fact or sourced material to support the post. Eg "No news outlet beyond speed and indy star reports on indycar." When another newspaper is referened to report on indycar the response posted is that "no sorry they don't count"

At other times quoting "diminishing crowds across all venues" and when asked where's the source, the response is "oh ask another poster, he knows"

Can you see people's concern with a lack of quality and accurate discussion occurring here?

I don't think anyone here has suggested Indycar has a huge media following (another sweeping statement put forward by a poster), if they have please reference the post. However responding to and questioning vague unsourced posts I don't think is wasting anyone's time here.
remember, mountainstar is a crapwagoner.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3263059)   #1233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

In the interests of quality and accuracy, what would be of enormous help and greatly appreciated by everyone here, would be for you to provide the thread with the facts and the relevant sourced material; everyone would benefit greatly from your contribution.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3263060)   #1234
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
remember, mountainstar is a crapwagoner.
Enough of that please. It doesn't add anything of value to the thread.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3263094)   #1235
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Enough of that please. It doesn't add anything of value to the thread.
It's not an insult or anything, it's a statement of truth...when you know that you realize how all of his statements will reflect.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3263111)   #1236
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In the interests of quality and accuracy, what would be of enormous help and greatly appreciated by everyone here, would be for you to provide the thread with the facts and the relevant sourced material; everyone would benefit greatly from your contribution.
No worries at all, anything in particular you would liked referenced or source supported?
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3263116)   #1237
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's not an insult or anything, it's a statement of truth...when you know that you realize how all of his statements will reflect.
I'm not a crapwagoneer or ten tenther, I'm my own person. I form my own opinions and if people don't want to read them they can pass right over them.

When it comes down it, the thread is not about me, but the irl news and rumors. Usually I find when people have to badger and silence a point of view that is contrary to the company line, you know you are on the right track and they have to turn their guns on you, because they have no leg to stand on.

If the league was so wonderful, the car was amazing and unbelievable, venues were loaded with full stands, the speedway was putting up more stands rather than disassembling them, tv ratings were 10 times higher like they once were, journalists covered the sport full time like they used to, sponsors were totally knocking over people to get on the cars, sanctioning fees were climbing every year, drivers were household names and so on, I would not have any leg to stand on. None of that is happening and the opposite is happening as the numbers slide every year. If anyone thinks hard financial reality isn't going to catch up to the series, I think that point of view is foolish.

Also so you know, I'm not here to write term papers for people for free. Some of my knowledge comes from others in the business. My opinions are shaped by people I talk to, but I do not reveal private conversations or discuss them.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3263118)   #1238
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No, it's not an insult but it could be seen as derogatory and I as I said in my post #1222 this thread has turned into a bit of a slanging match and I don't think any of us really wants that.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3263119)   #1239
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

This isn't the Sydney Morning Herald and we don't work here as journalists.

I don't do the link wars game with my link is bigger than yours. Years ago I used to fall for that trap and it's just a waste of time. I form my own opinions based on all the information I source and if people are really that interested they can do the same leg work I do.

I'd rather go out and do what I am going to do right now and enjoy the sunny day, get the tractor out and chainsaw some trees up, shoot the range up with a couple hundred rounds of 9mm with my old WW2 relic submachine gun and then BBQ some chicken and sweet corn and have some watermelon and key lime pie for dessert. Yee Haw.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3263188)   #1240
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
NASCAR>Indycars, the cars now days are so dam ugly, which is another reason why their running away
Old 16 Jun 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3263231)   #1241
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another two members for the ignore list and another thread to ignore. When actual NEWS is involved why not restart it but this thread isn't even forum rumors but it's turned into the seemingly more common I'm smarter than you ****ing contests.
If any of you 'fans' want to know why there are no NEW fans, try reading your own posts. The one of the most common thing I hear from people is how unwelcoming and condescending race fans seem to be to new people and this thread full of that attitude mixed with the I remember when it was ..... so I must care more than you. Funny though I hear that same thing from old nascar fans but they now just think the racing is fake, and have MOVED on. If Indy is so bad and stupid now then MOVE ON and try something new.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3263242)   #1242
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an occasional poster in this part of the forum from the other side of the world, it does seem like this thread at least runs to different rules compared to the rest of the website when it comes to posting news/rumours/claims.

One poster claiming to be in the know (he may be, he may not be, i've no idea) seems to post whatever he likes and not have to back it up with a source, whereas in the other forums on this site, sources must be provided otherwise the poster needs to clearly state it is a rumour or their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
this years Indy 500 made the 6pm news in Sydney this year, the Daytona 500 didn't.

In Australia at least, the broad term of 'Indycars' is probably a more known term than the name NASCAR, based wholly and solely on the hangover from the Gold Coast 'Indy'.

I first encountered Indy-style racing through whatever news clippings in racing papers i could back in the early 80s, in Australian racing magazines like "Auto Action" and "Racing Car News"

In 1986, Channel 9 got the rights to show the Indy 500 live, and did so from then onwards. Absolutly fantastic stuff, and when the Gold Coast Indy started in 1991, Channel 9 picked up coverage of the whole season so i was really able to get into and follow the entire series.

I loved CART in the mid-90s, i love the stuff we get these days. I thought Milwaukee this morning was fantastic. It amazes me that there can be so much negativity for a racing series on a site full of motorsport enthusiasts! If you don't like it so much, why post in this part of the forum?? Some posters sound like they don't even watch any of the races, just come into this thread to have a bag...
Old 16 Jun 2013, 02:50 (Ref:3263257)   #1243
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I've had a think about this, especially in the light of the last two poster's initial comments and what I'm going to do is run this thread, strictly in accordance with its title, Indycar News & Rumors.

I've seen a number of threads on the Indycar section slip and degenerate into basically a CART v IRL rant and I admit I have been part of it. So as far as this thread goes if a post isn't relevant to the thread's subject, I'll either delete it or edit it so that it is, the alternative is to close the thread. I'd rather not have to resort to any of these measures.

If people want to discuss the state of IndyCar, or what they perceive is right or wrong with IndyCar in its current form, they are welcome to do so by starting a new thread but don't do it here please.

Thanks.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3264425)   #1244
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What do you think about this?

Quote:
Hunter-Reay joked about how everything came together nicely [at Milwaukee]. “If it was a NASCAR race I’d say it was fixed,”
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3264490)   #1245
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't a rumour, but might classify as "news" - Justin Wilson dropped by the William Ashley store in Toronto yesterday for the annual unveiling of the Honda Indy Toronto trophies. Similar to last year, they are rather elegant Waterford crystal things. He did a Q&A roundtable with some fans, and drank some tea next to the "IndyCar perched on four Wedgwood teacups" display that HIT likes to do.

My photos of the event are here, if anyone's interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardi...th/9076638412/

Say what you like about the Toronto event, the buzz is starting. Bigger beer gardens this year if that's your thing.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3264660)   #1246
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard on the rock radio tonight a promotion for Firestone where if you buy 4 tires you get 4 tickets to Turbo the Indycar movie and a $50 giftcard. Think they mentioned Indycar 3 or 4 times during the 30 second spot
Old 19 Jun 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3264812)   #1247
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Beatriz keeps Iowa Coyne seat.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108134
Old 19 Jun 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3264881)   #1248
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have any idea who we'll see in the Panther car in Toronto? I'd like to see Servia, personally, but don't feel really strongly about him vs. Briscoe (either would be good).
Old 19 Jun 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3265011)   #1249
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is just what was expected to happen. She had a solid performance at Milwaukee until ripping off part of the car's nose at the wall. Here's hoping she and Justin Wilson can get good results at Newton, Iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Anyone have any idea who we'll see in the Panther car in Toronto? I'd like to see Servia, personally, but don't feel really strongly about him vs. Briscoe (either would be good).
We will find out in time. Panther boss John Barnes stated in an interview the rest of the season will be a year of driver auditions for next year's full-time ride and Oriol does not need to audition. So we might as well see somebody in the car in Toronto who has not driven for Panther yet.

However, it won't be Mike Conway who was offered the 2nd Coyne ride for Toronto right after the 2nd Detroit race, due to his outstanding performance that weekend.

Given what I've heard about Panther, that it's usually the setup the engineers want which goes onto the car, even if the driver is not OK with it and wants something different, there is one name which comes up as an ideal driver for the #4 car. Yet, it is unlikely this driver would even want the ride. I'm talking about nobody else but Danica Patrick who is known to prefer to drive what the engineers put her in, instead of coming up with a setup choice of her own. I'm rather sure she would gel well with the Panther organisation. But as long as she's got her GoDaddy, there is no way she would want to drive the National Guard car. Yet, Barnes should at least try giving her a (secret) test to find out how she does in the DW-12. I guess her return would be good for IndyCar. And that comes from somebody who's been rather critical of this driver in the past, but also impressed of her consistency during that year post-reunification when she scored "Best US American driver" in the points standings at year's end.

Now who else than Briscoe or Servia could Barnes have in mind for running a street circuit? Any street circuit specialists available at this time? Bruno Junqueira? Giorgio Pantano?
My guess is as good as anyone's.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 06:48 (Ref:3265297)   #1250
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Now who else than Briscoe or Servia could Barnes have in mind for running a street circuit? Any street circuit specialists available at this time? Bruno Junqueira? Giorgio Pantano?
My guess is as good as anyone's.
I don't think we'll see Junqueira or Pantano...Barnes said he want to use the rest of the season to test some driver for 2014...and I doubt Junqueira or Pantano could be a full time driver in 2014...