Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2016, 08:38 (Ref:3646508)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about voting for the four worst Tilkedromes, plenty of controversy there.

Anyone who does not include Sochi is deluded.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:10 (Ref:3646515)   #27
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I understand that you can watch a quiz show on BBC called Pointless, I really must take a look sometime to find out where these 'records' come from.
They also have one called Pointless Celebrities. The most appropriately named show on television.

Last edited by TrapezeArtist; 2 Jun 2016 at 09:10. Reason: Typo
Old 2 Jun 2016, 10:36 (Ref:3646530)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, as Adam says just a bit of fun by livery.

However, if I was to go for the F1 quad, it would be the old Spa, the old Monza, the old Nurburgring, and Rheims (or maybe the old Silverstone!!). I believe Suzuka is regarded as a bit special.

In sports cars much as I like the Le Mans 24 hours, I'd put the old Nurburgring 1000kms above it. In fact, I'm just old, but not as old as Bob.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Jun 2016, 11:31 (Ref:3646542)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

However, if I was to go for the F1 quad, it would be the old Spa, the old Monza, the old Nurburgring, and Rheims (or maybe the old Silverstone!!). I believe Suzuka is regarded as a bit special.

In sports cars much as I like the Le Mans 24 hours, I'd put the old Nurburgring 1000kms above it. In fact, I'm just old, but not as old as Bob.
Go the old Fuji

Old 2 Jun 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3646556)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

In sports cars much as I like the Le Mans 24 hours, I'd put the old Nurburgring 1000kms above it. In fact, I'm just old, but not as old
as Bob.
If you want to drag sports cars into the F1 thread John, then I would love to have the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Nurburgring 1000kms,Carrera Pan Americana and Le Mans on my CV.

Formula 1 has nothing to compare with that quintet.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3646620)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Classic tracks might include the 1950's Spa, Nurburgring, Monza ,Reims, and Pescara. Everything else is for sissies.

I rate the Big Four as any four Tilkedromes.

Old Git.

I could tell I was getting old, when the BTCC driver I have an autograph from is not one of the ones who are older than me and the driver was Aiden Moffat
Old 2 Jun 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3646682)   #32
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Good point Mike. Totally true. If F1 went back to Imola permanently, it would never be the same as after 1994.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 06:18 (Ref:3646738)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If you want to drag sports cars into the F1 thread John, then I would love to have the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Nurburgring 1000kms,Carrera Pan Americana and Le Mans on my CV.

True about those tracks, but in all fairness:

[The first Japanese Grand Prix was run as a non-championship Formula 1 race at the Suzuka Circuit 80 kilometres (50 mi) south west of Nagoya in May 1963. This marked the beginning of motor racing in earnest in Japan. For the next 11 years, however; the non-championship Grand Prix was run at the Fuji Speedway, 40 miles (64 km) west of Yokohama and 66 miles (106 km) west of the Japanese capital of Tokyo. The circuit had a banked corner called Daiichi and was the scene of many fatal accidents. It was then run as a number of disciplines of motorsports, particularly Formula 2, sports cars and Can-Am-type sprint racing.
Formula One

Fuji Speedway

The first Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix, in 1976, was held at the very fast 2.7 mile Fuji Speedway, minus the banking. The race was to become famous for the title decider between James Hunt and Niki Lauda as it was held during monsoon conditions.]

Courtesy of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane..._redevelopment
Old 3 Jun 2016, 06:20 (Ref:3646739)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

True and true, but I was merely responding to a previous point that Le Mans was one of the Big Three.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 3 Jun 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3646968)   #35
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone the same as it was before the big remake(in the 2010)? Nowdays, I'd say it's a bit too clinical and technical. It's lost a lot of flow from the high speed corners of old.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3647432)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd say the long straight leading into a left right is just the same as it was 87-90
Old 5 Apr 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3723857)   #37
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livery View Post
A year or two ago F1 magazine ran a small chart that listed out the active drivers that had won the "Big 4" races....Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, and Spa. This got me thinking about who had actually done it in the past...so I calculated out the following....very interesting...

Fangio completed this with the '1957 Monaco win.

Farina completed this with the 1953 Spa win

Coulthard completed this with the 2002 Monaco win

Hamilton completed this with his 2012 Monza win...needs another Monaco win to complete his 2nd QUAD

Prost completed 2 QUADS
Won Silverstone in 1993 to win his first Quad
Won Monza in 1995 to win his second Quad

Schumacher completed the Quad 3 times...coming up 2 Silverstone wins short of a 5 Quads

Senna completed his Quad with a 1993 Monaco win...a Silverstone win short of his 2nd Quad.

Vettel completed his Quad with wins at Monza and Spa in 2013

Other notables:
Alonso needs a Spa win to complete the Quad
Raikkonen needs a Monza win

Ascari needed a Monaco win
Jack Brabham needed a Monza win
Tony Brooks needed a Monaco win
Jim Clark needed Monaco
Mika Hakkenen needed Monza
Damon Hill needed Monaco
Juan Montoya needed Spa
Jackie Stewart needed 2 Spa wins to get 2 Quads

Really wasn't expecting to see Coulthard and Montoya on this list of greats.
So came across this file and updated it from last year...and Nico Rosberg completed his Quad with his two wins in Monza and Spa last year.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3723926)   #38
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry but for me, completing a quad is jumping over a 4 jump series on a motocross bike!! IN one jump!
Old 5 Apr 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3723945)   #39
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Prost really didn't win Monza in 1995.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3723953)   #40
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Prost really didn't win Monza in 1995.
I corrected this in another post where it was 1985.
Old 6 Apr 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3724164)   #41
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I must confess that I've never come across this idea of the "Quad" before, and it seems a bit random. What about Suzuka, for example? Very challenging, very prestigious.
Old 6 Apr 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3724213)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I must confess that I've never come across this idea of the "Quad" before, and it seems a bit random. What about Suzuka, for example? Very challenging, very prestigious.
I guess it's to do with 'tradition' the oldest races etc.

Maybe we should have a modern equivalent: multiple winners of the blandest races!
Old 6 Apr 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3724221)   #43
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I guess it's to do with 'tradition' the oldest races etc.

Maybe we should have a modern equivalent: multiple winners of the blandest races!
And I believe that is what they were implying in the article...

Grand Prix History 101

Monza - 66 Grand Prix
Monaco - 63 Grand Prix
Silverstone - 50 Grand Prix
Spa - 49 Grand Prix
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - 37 Grand Prix
Interlagos - 34 Grand Prix
Hockenheim - 31 Grand Prix

Argue about configuration and better tracks (Suzuka), but the general racing fan looks at these 4 as the "Upper Class" or "Most Prestigious"
Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3726108)   #44
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton could make it a third Quad this year. He needs Monaco and Spa.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3726354)   #45
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Hamilton could make it a third Quad this year. He needs Monaco and Spa.
Wow! Impressive. Well as impressive as ladies football, anyway.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3726372)   #46
stripedcat
Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Impressive. Well as impressive as ladies football, anyway.
I don't think the drivers are actually impressed about winning the "Quad". I think they probably do want to win at Monaco - because that is so difficult to do. Elsewhere - I think they probably want to win their home race(if they have one). They probably think that Monaco, Spa and Suzuka are the most challenging to try and race and actually win at.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3726406)   #47
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Is Monaco really that challenging? Sure, it's prestigious and glamorous, but if you qualify on pole you're pretty much set. Not much actual racing. Once manual gear changes were dropped, it lost a lot of the challenge.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3726548)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

Of course it's still a challenge, going through places like Massanet, the Tunnel and Tabac, with the wall right by the track and you can't fail to be impressed. Would ove to see it in the flesh one day
Old 15 Apr 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3726567)   #49
stripedcat
Veteran

Quote:
Is Monaco really that challenging? Sure, it's prestigious and glamorous, but if you qualify on pole you're pretty much set. Not much actual racing. Once manual gear changes were dropped, it lost a lot of the challenge.
Yeah, it is a real challenge. Even if you get pole - you still have to race around there. Make a mistake at Monaco and you're more than likely to crash out and lose the race - other circuits don't punish the mistakes as harshly. Little things can really hurt you, just take a look at Mansell : sliding off in the wet in 1984 in the Lotus, his engine going bang on him because Honda changed the size of the intercooler or something and didn't tell Williams and 1992 losing the lead because one of the strings on the wheelcovers used in parc fermé had loosened a wheelnut the night beforehand, and he was forced to pit. Monaco in the wet is a completely different thing as well.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3727300)   #50
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livery View Post
A year or two ago F1 magazine ran a small chart that listed out the active drivers that had won the "Big 4" races....Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, and Spa. This got me thinking about who had actually done it in the past...so I calculated out the following....very interesting...

Fangio completed this with the '1957 Monaco win.

Farina completed this with the 1953 Spa win

Coulthard completed this with the 2002 Monaco win

Hamilton completed this with his 2012 Monza win...needs another Monaco win to complete his 2nd QUAD

Prost completed 2 QUADS
Won Silverstone in 1993 to win his first Quad
Won Monza in 1995 to win his second Quad

Schumacher completed the Quad 3 times...coming up 2 Silverstone wins short of a 5 Quads

Senna completed his Quad with a 1993 Monaco win...a Silverstone win short of his 2nd Quad.

Vettel completed his Quad with wins at Monza and Spa in 2013

Other notables:
Alonso needs a Spa win to complete the Quad
Raikkonen needs a Monza win

Ascari needed a Monaco win
Jack Brabham needed a Monza win
Tony Brooks needed a Monaco win
Jim Clark needed Monaco
Mika Hakkenen needed Monza
Damon Hill needed Monaco
Juan Montoya needed Spa
Jackie Stewart needed 2 Spa wins to get 2 Quads

Really wasn't expecting to see Coulthard and Montoya on this list of greats.
Nigel Mansell just missed out with Monaco - and nearly won that in 1992.