Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2000, 16:44 (Ref:17468)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Seeing as it's now nearly kind of almost ish halfway throught the season all I can say is that I've seen nothing but critisism for Rubens.

So, simple question: who's been better? Irv or Rubinho? Who and why please....

Me: I'd go with Irv (because he's my #1 driver, shame he wasn't Ferrari's!!) but then again I don't think Rubens has been SOOOOO bad.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 17:14 (Ref:17473)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If one compares their entire careers at Ferrari then both are on about the same pace. RB hasn't won yet, but has positioned himself on the podium sooner than EI did. But EI had a much worse car in his early years than RB has now. Its hard to say because things are so different now. I feel or sure than RB's finishes would be better if MS were to fall off the track for half a season again like happened for EI.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 17:25 (Ref:17474)   #3
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens is the new Irvine (minus the playboy image)

I think they are of similar ability, which is why they are performing similarly. Irvine never wn races, but was always in the points. Ditto for Barichello.

And if he hasn't already, I think Rubhino will break Irv's record of most points scored without a win....
Old 15 Jun 2000, 20:42 (Ref:17499)   #4
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think irvine and rubens were teammates in 92? or 93? cant remember but anyway, when they were both in the same team, irvine always did better than rubens, so i think irvine is better... besides, irvine *looks* fitter than rubens, rubens look so unfit! but thats only judging on their appearances.... ;p
Old 15 Jun 2000, 20:43 (Ref:17500)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't say I'm hugely impressed by either of them, however I will give Irv. the benefit as the car hasn't been on song.

As for Rubens though, now he has the car underneath him, he doesn't seem to be trying as hard as he used to. He seems to have lost the hunger a little bit.

Maybe playing second fiddle does that to a bloke.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 07:18 (Ref:17533)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't think you can compare the two as they have been given different levels of equipment. However, where Irv scored was in fighting the car or anybody else to the finish, whilst RB seems to think he deserves a win without trying. He's definitely the poorest No 2 Ferrari driver for some years.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 08:09 (Ref:17538)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You say Rubinho looks unfit? Rubinho IS Kelsey Grammer!! (Fraiser) The spitting image!! In fact, I think they are one and the same. Did anyone see Fraiser last week? WOW!! (soory, a bit off topic there!)
Old 16 Jun 2000, 09:45 (Ref:17552)   #8
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would go for Irv as the better of the two.
He has more tenacity and a better attitude than Rubino.
Irv struggled with second rate equipment and lack of support but still got points finishes at Ferrari.
Rubino seems to have the attitude that driving a Ferrari makes him certain to be a success.
His attitude has not been helped by comments from Ferrari like, "he has achieved more in 4 races than Irv did in 4 years".
Even with this seasons car he is still off the pace.
Irv has been tops for attitude at Jaguar given the number of times the car has let him down. He sticks at it and things are getting better slowly.

If you look at the stats: (which prove everything and nothing) Irv is doing better.
Irv/Rubino
Starts: 104/120
Wins: 4/0
Podiums: 24/9
Poles: 0/3
FL: 1/1
Points Avg: 1.69/0.83
Old 16 Jun 2000, 10:14 (Ref:17558)   #9
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frazier ? hahaha!!! Does that make Jean Todt Frazier's old man ?
Old 16 Jun 2000, 13:49 (Ref:17599)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it makes Bernie the little terrier named Eddie!
Old 17 Jun 2000, 02:16 (Ref:17668)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubens is much better driver than Irvine. No doubt about it. Remember that Rubens has had 2 DNF's due to mechanical failture but I don't remember Irvine having those problems last year (My memory could be fooling me though). And about the win....I still have my doubts on that pit stop strategy at Australia.....
Old 17 Jun 2000, 23:05 (Ref:17737)   #12
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renniesmill, they ran together at Jordan from Suzuka '93 (yeah, the Senna-slap) until the end of '95. Except for qualifying in the frustrating '95 season, where Peugeot engines probably set a record for most failures (it seems this year is a new record attempt btw ) Rubens has been the better of the two most of the times.

Their average Jordan stats:
Irvine
1993: >Qualify:13,5 >Race: 6,0 >Points: 1 >WDC: 20th
1994: >Qualify: 9,2 >Race: 7,0 >Points: 6 >WDC: 16th
1995: >Qualify: 7,6 >Race: 7,8 >Points: 10 >WDC: 12th

Barrichello
1993: >Qualify:12,5 >Race: 8,0 >Points: 2 >WDC: 17th
1994: >Qualify: 8,4 >Race: 5,2 >Points: 19 >WDC: 6th
1995: >Qualify: 9,5 >Race: 6,7 >Points: 11 >WDC: 8th

In general, I guess they're quite different drivers. Irvine adapted quite well over the years to the prefferred Schumacher car behaviour, left braking and the edgy style, late brake, oversteer and full throttle. Barrichello is more of a stylist, returned to right braking again, very smooth lines, very smooth on the pedals.
Very different techniques. Rubens can't race Schu's car and set-up, Irvine could. Rubens won't adapt, Irvine did.
He needs time with that F1-2000, lots of testing, maybe some other components to get the car right for him.
Ferrari have the budget and facilities to provide him that, but I guess they fell a little short after the start of the season as his speed fell back more and more the last couple of races.

But I guess he's back to speed here in Canada, at least in qualifying. Still waiting for the data-sheet but I think his and Michaels best sectortimes where equally good today.
Well that would have been the whole idea for Ferrari, wouldn't it? To improve their driver line-up. I am sure they know a lot more than we do and made that choice on logical grounds. Invest more time and testing in Rubinho and he will shine.
Old 18 Jun 2000, 23:09 (Ref:17877)   #13
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find Barrichello actually looks like Niles, not Frasier. Niles (David Hyde Pierce) IS Rubens.

In terms of Swerve vs. Rubens, I'd say they were pretty equal. They're not great drivers, but they ain't bad. Nuff said.