Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 10 May 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1297888)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photgraphy Job Opportunity in F-1

Just saw this on the ITV-F-1 website: click here . UK based only.

Old 11 May 2005, 06:39 (Ref:1298037)   #2
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear

Just saw this on the ITV-F-1 website: click here . UK based only.

it has been on thier web site for a few weeks and in Autosport
Old 11 May 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1298229)   #3
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed it has.

I tell you, since yesterday I've indated with messages etc all pointing me towards the ad on ITV.

like Snapper_Baz I've known about it for a while already. I also think the ITV ad is a little bit misleading. I can see thousands of wannabes applying thinking they'd get straight to Formula One.

I'd imagine they would start you out on more grass roots level to begin with.
Old 11 May 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1298259)   #4
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately misleading! I have applied for the Junior position, didn't even know it was on the F1 website, just saw it on the Sutton website when i was there a few weeks ago.
Old 11 May 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1298673)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its one of those jobs that sounds great and it possibly could be but you must ask yourself do you want to shoot thousands (and it will be thousands) of pictures and have all your pictures credited to someone else...if you get the picture of a lifetime it will not earn you any money but the company you shoot for may get £££££'s for it! If you don't mind that then go for it!! Sutton have have worked there way to the top from the very grass routes and they deserve everything and the Sutton boys are a good bunch...just be prepared for long, long hours though as being a top line photographer does have its down sides as well.
Old 12 May 2005, 05:05 (Ref:1298857)   #6
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well what kind of money could you expect for working for sutton as it dosent mention that in the add, anyone have any idea?
Old 12 May 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1298912)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior position earns £12,000 a year.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1298971)   #8
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1
and the referance here is "earns" but you do get to cover Croft in the rain !the ITV add suggests it for F1 snappers i feel it may be not that simple...
Old 12 May 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1299064)   #9
SeaneyC
Racer

Definately prepared to start at the bottom as someones abuse boy! Getting paid £12k is actually about what i was expecting, not a lot, but it's enough, really want this job, the reward isn't really in the money is it? Ah the rain at Croft is nothing compared to the rain at Knockhill superbikes last year - fun and games!
Old 12 May 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1299173)   #10
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaneyC
Definately prepared to start at the bottom as someones abuse boy! Getting paid £12k is actually about what i was expecting, not a lot, but it's enough, really want this job, the reward isn't really in the money is it? Ah the rain at Croft is nothing compared to the rain at Knockhill superbikes last year - fun and games!
The Thursday at Sebring was a little "damp" 4.5 inches of rain and two tornado warnings and Spa there was a little liquid sunshine, from what 500MM said the ring 24 was a little damp also he had a good roll in the mud with his new Camera!
Old 12 May 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1299278)   #11
SeaneyC
Racer

Perhaps he should turn to shooting rugby!
Old 13 May 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1299672)   #12
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
That's actually more than I'm earning now working for the NHS as a CSW.

I've applied, because I have nothing to lose. But to be honest I don't expect to get an interview. I see it as reminding them of my existance and blagging some pics and website to them.

The sutton people I've spoken to are generally pretty nice guys to. A couple of years ago, I emailed Mark Caplitan, and he send a very nice and honest mail back. Actually, dispite photography being a pretty competitive envirorment I find most people very helpful and easy to get on with. Sometimes you come across a tosspot or two, but generally most are pretty fair. I've learnt a lot from various photographers who much more experience than I do, most helpful has to be Huw Alban who supplies Planet-F1. He's taught me pretty much everything I know.
Old 13 May 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1299935)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
I've applied, because I have nothing to lose. But to be honest I don't expect to get an interview. I see it as reminding them of my existance and blagging some pics and website to them.
Please keep us informed!
Old 13 May 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1299950)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also applied, don't know what my chances are, but I've got to give it a go...
Old 13 May 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1299973)   #15
SeaneyC
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I also applied, don't know what my chances are, but I've got to give it a go...
Exactly mate, you got to be in it to win it, personally i was hoping the standard of the competition would be lower....

But may the best man win / get the job!
Old 13 May 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1300037)   #16
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play to you all for applying. I rang up and spoke to a very helpful lady who informed me about the position etc etc...

The pay was pretty poor to start but could rise quite quickly with the right person, but it still wouldn't rise to what earn now in a sales position. The position was based on Towcester, way too far from me. I have a girlfriend, half decent job and ties but would be ideal ideal job for someone young with no ties!! Good luck to all who applied, let us know how you get on I'm sure with the talent we have here you all standa great chance, surely
Old 13 May 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1300055)   #17
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
Since we are talking about it...I went for it to. Again...don't have that much confidence...especially as ITV went and published it. I was hoping for abit more low key.

But at the end of the day you don't get many chances like this and what do you have to loose apart from a couple of quid in postage??

Alex
Old 13 May 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1300068)   #18
SeaneyC
Racer

Quote:
But at the end of the day you don't get many chances like this and what do you have to loose apart from a couple of quid in postage??

Alex
Absolutely nothing, post it from your current work!

Anyone here apply for the senior position?
Old 13 May 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1300075)   #19
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
I think they are looking for seniors who have worked for say..xpb or are already working within F1. Thats my view.

Alex
Old 13 May 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1300084)   #20
SeaneyC
Racer

Quote:
I think they are looking for seniors who have worked for say..xpb or are already working within F1. Thats my view.

Alex
Oh yes, I would think that too, was just wondering if we were rubbing shoulders with any top pros around here, just on the off chance
Old 13 May 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1300181)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I nearly did then thought senior job is going to be for those established pro's and not ff1600 website contributors as for the junior job my golden handcuffs prevent quite that large a cut in salary...I'd be dissapointed if any of the younger regulars posting here havent gone for that one though
Old 13 May 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1300257)   #22
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm senior...but not exactly a pro...does that count?!
Old 13 May 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1300295)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I havn't applied, as the job is a dream job but it would mean I would have to take a rather large pay cut. But to you guys that have applied good luck.
Old 13 May 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1300360)   #24
Andrew_S
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Andrew_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I nearly did then thought senior job is going to be for those established pro's and not ff1600 website contributors as for the junior job my golden handcuffs prevent quite that large a cut in salary...I'd be dissapointed if any of the younger regulars posting here havent gone for that one though
I was thinking of doing so, originally but sadly a full time job doesn't fit in with my studies, and after all that is more important! however, it did get me thinking about prepairing a portfolio for future opertunities, if they arive (hence why i posted that topic earlier this week!)
Old 14 May 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1300863)   #25
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
...especially as ITV went and published it. I was hoping for abit more low key.
The way I see it, the ITV ad was a mistake. Because now Sutton will be inidated with simply thousands of applicants, who are most likely wannabes, with not a lot of real talent or practise pratise motorsport photography. Probably wooed by the empthesis that ITV put on the F1 bit. But then you can usually rely on ITV to be cringeworthy.

And ofcousre it's more than likely they will start off the successful application on more grass roots level etc, especially the junior position.