Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 14 May 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1300878)   #26
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, no doubt they'll sort through the appications for the most suitable one...
Old 16 May 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1302657)   #27
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what suggestions have the old farts/seasoned professionals got for the portfolio-type stuff? And not just motorsport-wise either...
Old 17 May 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1303079)   #28
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
So what suggestions have the old farts/seasoned professionals got for the portfolio-type stuff? And not just motorsport-wise either...
Be your own worst critic and be absolutely ruthless in your selction criteria..

Dress to impress (metaphorically speaking)..
Old 18 May 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1304019)   #29
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't of thought it would be long before we start to hear something back from Sutton. I mean they must go through stages. First stage is to filter out people who have not sent any examples of work, second stage: People who clearly have just sent in any F1 picture they took (fence in the way/blurred images) and write to that lot, then they start to really sit down and look at other work.

It would be nice for them to invite the top....say 20 down to...a race track for the day with their equipment...that way they are all equal (no special passes etc) and just snap away then they review the work at the end of the day.

Alex
Old 18 May 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1304038)   #30
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Alex, was expecting some kind of reply late this week, or sometime next week. I don't doubt the advert on the ITV website has attracted a lot of people whose heart isn't really in it, but like you say, it shouldn't take too long to whittle down to the serious people. I like your idea of inviting them to a racetrack, clearly Silverstone would be the obvious choice, but perhaps setting some kind of challenges to make things interesting.... Although i admit if i had to use film, i'd be pretty stumped!
Old 18 May 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1304084)   #31
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A top 20 shoot-off? I thought this was a vacancy for a junior trainee position not an audition for some third rate reality TV show. Then again if ITV are involved....
Old 19 May 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1304349)   #32
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dispite the absoulte millions of likely wannabe candidates, I think they plenty of serious and talented applicants. Several of us here have applied, and we're all pretty serious, not to mention talented.

Personally I think it would come down to who is best situated, ie, located, transport, in depth knowledge of motorsport.

I have a friend who had an Interview with Sutton about a year or so ago, though he has no prior experience of motorsport photography except a handful of f1 tests as spectator. Apparntly they show you a collection of prints of motorsport personalities to see how many you recongnise.

Ofcourse, it helps to know what you are photographing, so you can priortise your shoot.
Old 19 May 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1304455)   #33
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
funny you should mention that. the first position i held when i went for the interview i had to look at a sheet of 20 transparencies with no names on the mounts, and write down which sports person they were and their country of birthday. 20 out of 20...i got the job. if only all job selection processes were fun like that!
Old 19 May 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1304594)   #34
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Yeah... that's basically what my fiend had to do.
Old 19 May 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1304677)   #35
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
If only it was going to be that simple

Alex
Old 19 May 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1304992)   #36
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=32853
Old 20 May 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1305432)   #37
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
hehe.

I'd imagine he would have had enough applications without the ITV advert. But I guess from his point of view he wanted to spread the message as far as possible.

That word I used "inundated" crops up in there. They should give me the job
Old 20 May 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1305512)   #38
SeaneyC
Racer

Haha anyone willing to guess how long before we get our replies?
Old 20 May 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1305574)   #39
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
7 months?
Old 20 May 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1305577)   #40
SeaneyC
Racer

Gives them 3 months to train them up for the Australian GP!
Old 20 May 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1305611)   #41
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
The sutton people I've spoken to are generally pretty nice guys to. A couple of years ago, I emailed Mark Caplitan, and he send a very nice and honest mail back. Actually, dispite photography being a pretty competitive envirorment I find most people very helpful and easy to get on with.
James,

Yes, Mark is a nice chap and very helpful. I think we pretty much enjoy sharing advice. This past weekend shooting AMA bikes at Infineon the media centre had a vibe I hadn't experienced before. Especially on the non deadline photog side. People would come and check out your work, swap tips and such and it was very cordial and professional.

In fact, there is a mention to the "energy" in the press room here, just scroll down until you see "Pressroom Vibe".

Good luck to anyone who applied.

Andrew
(he who shoots cars/bikes and horses)
Old 20 May 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1305612)   #42
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
To be honest, going by that picture and report, my chances don't look great so I don't really care when they reply back as I know nothing is going to come of it. As long as I get my pictures back, thats all that matters

If they are finding it a tough job to go though all of them, a letter of acknowledgement should be sent. I expect someone to hear something by the end of next week.

Alex
Old 20 May 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1305637)   #43
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Yes, I'd imagine that there are plenty of worthy candidates there. I guess it'l come down to the best situated, and knowledgable person in the end. As I've said from the beginning I don't even expect to get an interview, but if I didn't apply then I definitely wouldn't get an interview.

So I sent in a brief letter, the cv, and a few copies from my portfolio of what i consider to be my better pictures. Looking at the picture in the report, I gather many people sent in much bigger envelopes than I did.
Old 20 May 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1305656)   #44
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
I think your thinking along the same lines as me. If I don't get an interview, its nothing to be upset about, it was worth a shot and I didn't loose anything.

I sent in a cover letter, CV, CD of images and some prints. Only 12x8'' photos. I agree that there seems to be bigger envelopes BUT that doesn't mean they have more of a chance, well I hope not anyway.

It must be a tough job to go through them all. I am sure there are a heap of decent photographers. But I can't see them holding many interviews. I don't think they have the time to interview 20+ people.

Alex
Old 20 May 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1305667)   #45
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Obviously I don't know, but I would imagine they'd elinimate most by selecting say 5-10 of the most impressive applications, considering the covering letter, the CV and ofcourse the portfolio.

I think my CV is quite diverse for my age... mind you being licsensed to drive a forklift truck, probably isn't going to help me much in this instance
Old 20 May 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1305672)   #46
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
I don't know how important a CV is to them when it comes to this type of job. Sure I guess they are looking for someone with experience but if its a junior photographer then your not going to get many people with alot of experience in the work place involving photography.

If they looked at my CV they wouldn't find it that interesting. There is next to nothing motorsport related in it apart from my 'Hobbies'. Its my qualifications and job history.

Alex
Old 20 May 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1305681)   #47
SeaneyC
Racer

I also sent in a slightly tailored CV, and a portfolio on CD, I don't really know what to expect! An interview would be nice, although i have to admit, I cannot boast a forklift truck driving licence on my CV
Old 20 May 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1305721)   #48
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I'm having to admit... I'm really wishing I thought of sending in a CD.

Damn I now know for next time.
Old 21 May 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1305817)   #49
SeaneyC
Racer

The lady i spoke to said that portfolios maybe be submitted in print, or on CD, and that there was no bias, all is not lost mate. All a learning process anyway, that's what i'm treating it as, looks like there could be a whole load of us after the same jobs All the best!
Old 21 May 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1305913)   #50
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i have my own le mans portfolio on transparency mounted on black card in a translucent sleeve. it looks really good (although with going digital it hasn't been updated since 2003). i've opened up quite a few motorsport portfolio cds for appraisal and to be honest sometimes i've found the image quality iffy, or the files didn't open up properly...and on one occasion crashed my pc altogether! at least with trannies or prints you know what you send is what the person at the other end will see. but at the end of the day the best work will stand out however its presented.