Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters > A1GP

Old 1 Jun 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2216215)   #16
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
RaceRant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
Hopefully he'll still be with NZ A1GP team. He is a very nice bloke and a good ambassador for NZ. However, because he is a very measured driver, he learns steadily rather than rushing at it, and that applies to circuits as well as cars.

As posted earlier, he needs a drive in the A1 off season. Hartley looks set to head upwards and I think other posters are correct; A1 would not be an advancement for Hartley. There are several other NZ youngsters coming through, but my money is on Jonny for next season.
It's as much a non-advancement for Hartley as it is his being forbidden to drive the A1 car by Dr. Helmut Marko (Mr. Red Bull).

Marko approached A1TeamNZL owner Colin Giltrap after Brendon's test at Taupo, and pretty much threatened that if Brendon wasn't racing Black Beauty next time, then he could take a running jump.

Now, Colin's no mug, and he doesn't take any **** either. So essentially, from that point onward, Hartley's name has pretty much been scrapped from the potential A1GP New Zealand checklist.

Then again, Hartley's got British F3 and a preliminary contract with Torro Rosso, while Giltrap's got the Bambers and van der Drifts of this world to choose from - I'm not sure either party is too worried.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 05:02 (Ref:2217446)   #17
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please remind me again what kind of car A1GP is using from now on? And then what type of engine Toro Rosso has? And then why Marko wouldn't want Hartley to get more experience in an A1GP car, even if it is just testing?

I understand Marko's approach here about as much as I understand his handling of Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed....not at all!
Old 2 Jun 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2217457)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull has certainly made a lot of bizarre decisions regarding it's open wheel drivers over the year. I don't try to understand it.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2217563)   #19
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Can someone please remind me again what kind of car A1GP is using from now on? And then what type of engine Toro Rosso has? And then why Marko wouldn't want Hartley to get more experience in an A1GP car, even if it is just testing?

I understand Marko's approach here about as much as I understand his handling of Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed....not at all!
As mountainstar said above, Red Bull have made some pretty unorthodox decisions of late. In Marko's mind, A1GP is a step backward for Hartley, perhaps not in speed, but certainly when considering the 'grand plan' that the energy drink giant has for each of its junior drivers.

Hartley, as I said above, is well in with Torro Rosso now as their skid-guru at big promo events, and he's tested for them recently too. I don't think A1GP is held in high regard still by many of the big European outfits, championships and hierarchy, but the Ferrari link is sure to change that.

If Hartley wants to make it to F1, he seems to be going the right way about it. He just has to hone and refine his wet weather driving - it's really let him down lately in BF3.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2218290)   #20
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Indy Lights is a wise move for Reid. Why not come to America... gain some oval experience (should it ever be needed) while promoting your name. Reid did well this year in A1GP and I think Lights will only aide his development. His next move is largely dependent on funding...
Old 3 Jun 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2218353)   #21
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Definitely, and if his circuit racing plans don't progress any further, there's a successful career to be had in America. We only have to look at Scott.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2222213)   #22
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2 things here -
-johnny was still way faster than van der drift
-is matt dreaming if he thinks he can skip indy lights and jump straight into indy cars with no experience?
Old 8 Jun 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2222379)   #23
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.kuiper
2 things here -
-johnny was still way faster than van der drift
-is matt dreaming if he thinks he can skip indy lights and jump straight into indy cars with no experience?
Matt? Halliday?

Don't believe what you read. He's got nothing concrete in place, it's just a PR spin to justify his sudden 'departure' from NZ.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2223463)   #24
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like every other ex-Champ Car driver he has to aim for the Indy-style equivalent. Doesn't make it realistic but one has to try
Old 9 Jun 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2224132)   #25
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw him in the paddock at Milwaukee with his IRL hardcard. He did not do much during the Indy Lights race. I guess he needs more oval experience. He did not crash and kept his nose clean. He is signed up with Chip Ganassi. He was wearing one of those Target Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates shirts.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2237677)   #26
blue40
Rookie

blue40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny is not signed up with Gannassi in any way. It's just a roll over from Mark williams trying to make the same impression about affiliation with ganassi,which was really a technical partnership through Team Integra. Scott Dixons father Ron has a pseudo management role with both mark and jonny and has borrowed a few old shirts from scotts wardrobe. Hence they look so big on both mark and jonny.
Old 3 Aug 2008, 00:51 (Ref:2262342)   #27
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Interesting read,looks like Chris van der Drift is in the box seat for the ride.http://www.stuff.co.nz/4641712a1823.html
Old 8 Aug 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2266040)   #28
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WHpmRqFdU

Oops
Old 9 Aug 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2266174)   #29
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wheres johnny he isnt at the latest indy round
Old 16 Aug 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2269940)   #30
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have been manufacturing the new season's A1GP NZ team race suits and I still don't know who is driving! I still rate Jonny but there is a wealth of up and coming talent in NZ. Van der Drift has to be in the frame too. Jonny has admitted making mistakes 2007/2008, but it is a rare driver who doesn't make mistakes. Even Schumacher wasn't perfect. Jackie Stewart seemed to keep the wheels on, but things in those days weren't as close as A1.