Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Nov 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3472678)   #1601
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The rumour seems to be picking up some momentum on social media - for what it's worth.
Pretty convinced he may replace Lappiere or Sarrazan
Old 8 Nov 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3472690)   #1602
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
And I said as much later on in my post.

But that won't be enough to hold people's interest. Once he's out for a year or two he'll only be mentioned in passing regardless of how well he's doing, like Webber is now (although Ricciardo has a bit to do with that). That high profile with the general population won't last long when he's outside the circus. His departure won't be remembered as Jenson choosing LMP1 over F1, it will be remembered as Jenson leaving before being sacked.

I do agree however that this is a very big and very good thing for the WEC as it seeks to establish itself (and sportscars in general) as a genuine alternative to the single seater ladder.
And this is where WEC needs to differentiate itself from taking leftovers from F1.

More reaces - bring back the old legends - Mille Miglia Montlhéry Monza Targa Florio Tour de France Carrera Panamericana Daytona Mexico City Montreal Mosport Sebring Watkins Glen etc

Promote the WEC - Have a bigger reach by doing Demo's, Advetising, Endorsements etc

I could go on for ages but WEC is still a long shot from reaching the popularity of the failing F1, and bringing a superstar like Button wont be a solution
Old 8 Nov 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3472700)   #1603
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Signing an f1 driver for popularity isn't the smartest thing to do. Sportscars arent going to be near f1 in terms of popularity for a while if ever. Theres no reason they need to focus on that when picking a driver anyway. Button is consistent and fast. Those qualities are what matter, not his following.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3472722)   #1604
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota IMO need to reshuffle the driving line up and maybe freshen it up a bit. Audi and Porsche have relatively balanced driver line ups in terms of performance, where one team doesn't have a huge advantage over the other.

Toyota have the #8 with Ant and Seb especially cleaning the #7 team's clock all year aside from maybe Silverstone.

I'd rather have two really fast teams than one dominant team and one that just seems to be slightly outpacing Audi and Porsche due to the Toyota being a better package in terms of top speed (Audi) and consistency (Porsche).
Old 8 Nov 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3472757)   #1605
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
@specutainment
Given the excitement I asked & there's no announcement this weekend & no "major surprises" in @fiawec driver line up for @Toyota_Hybrid
After some investigation Hindy now seems to think nothing is happening.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3472764)   #1606
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
After some investigation Hindy now seems to think nothing is happening.
That is why the rumours keep coming, if no real news about then we all start to read the rumours and they gather pace
Old 8 Nov 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3472766)   #1607
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Either way, theyre not going to spill the beans, regardless who it is. As for their current lineup, I think Conway takes Sarrazin's spot in the #7. And a new incoming driver takes Lapierre's spot in the #8.

This is an analysis done by Paul Truswel about the average stints from the drivers in Fuji and Shanghai. As I noted before, Nakajima is the difference maker. He carries the #7, and is just as quick if not quicker than the #8's drivers.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3472898)   #1608
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
And this is where WEC needs to differentiate itself from taking leftovers from F1.

More reaces - bring back the old legends - Mille Miglia Montlhéry Monza Targa Florio Tour de France Carrera Panamericana Daytona Mexico City Montreal Mosport Sebring Watkins Glen etc
This has nothing to do with the topic but, I have to ask. Do you really expect them to race these things on the old Mille Miglia, Targa Florio courses? The Carrera Panamericana!?
Old 8 Nov 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3472932)   #1609
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
This has nothing to do with the topic but, I have to ask. Do you really expect them to race these things on the old Mille Miglia, Targa Florio courses? The Carrera Panamericana!?

Could have dedicated road races in the regions using these names? also wouldnt hurt to have a road/street course im thinking Potrero de los Funes Circuit thats unique and would be a great addition
Old 8 Nov 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3472934)   #1610
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
Potrero de los Funes Circuit
Better than Sao Paulo....
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,†he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.â€
Old 8 Nov 2014, 23:38 (Ref:3472939)   #1611
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That makes sense and is what I figured you meant, but I had to make sure.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3473125)   #1612
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That makes sense and is what I figured you meant, but I had to make sure.
Yes, same here, I thought that's what he meant. And, to be fair, I can see his point. We all understand while they go to the Grade1 tracks, but I'd like them to go to tracks were the WEC is the biggest race of their season, not as an addition to the F1 race.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3473199)   #1613
TRuss
Veteran

I completely agree. I'd love to see them race at some of the classic venues, but I'm afraid the infrastructures such as pit areas are just far too classic for the FIA to even consider them for more than a split second.

What thread is this?
Old 10 Nov 2014, 02:19 (Ref:3473319)   #1614
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
I completely agree. I'd love to see them race at some of the classic venues, but I'm afraid the infrastructures such as pit areas are just far too classic for the FIA to even consider them for more than a split second.

What thread is this?

I know, but i got the feel some were getting excited about the whole Button to WEC news and had to point out the obvious.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3473368)   #1615
TF110
Veteran

United States
Back on topic, here's Toyota's PR for Bahrain with driver and management quotes.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3474348)   #1616
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
The latest and clearest indication that there won't be a third Toyota at LM next year has been given by Vasselon in Laurent Mercier's latest interview:
Quote:
L’arrivée d’une troisième Toyota pour les 24 Heures du Mans 2015 est Ã* oublier, la situation n’ayant pas évolué ces derniers mois : « Comme je l’ai déjÃ* spécifié, nous ne souhaitons pas aligner une troisième auto sans avoir la certitude de le faire correctement. Notre budget est quasiment bouclé et il n’y aura pas de troisième auto. Ce n’est clairement plus l’option Ã* moins d’un cadeau du Père Noël (rire). »
(source: endurance-info.com)

Only remaining "hope" would be a last-minute Christmas gift.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3474365)   #1617
TF110
Veteran

United States
He says "our budget is almost finished (finalized)" and "there will be no third car" (with that amount) unless they get a christmas gift! Maybe, just maybe that double championship will loosen some walets. Im not holding my breath. No denial on Jenson Button either, just "he may be on the market". Vasselon plays his cards close to chest.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3474371)   #1618
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Paradoxically, if Toyota clinch both titles (which is more likely than not), this will most probably be used by Toyota's beancounters as a further motivation not to increase the budget for a third car at LM.

2015 will tell if this (likely) strategy will be the right one. Toyota have to win LM next year.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3474375)   #1619
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would rather even put my money on Santa delivering fourth R18 for Audi again, than Ebenezer Toyota seeing visions of the three spirits on Christmas Eve and gifting the extra TS040 to Tiny TMG.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 23:09 (Ref:3474385)   #1620
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Paradoxically, if Toyota clinch both titles (which is more likely than not), this will most probably be used by Toyota's beancounters as a further motivation not to increase the budget for a third car at LM.

2015 will tell if this (likely) strategy will be the right one. Toyota have to win LM next year.
This is the impression I've been getting to be honest - that there are high-ups in TMC that want TMG to win Le Mans with two cars so they can play on the relative lack of resources compared to the other factory teams.

That's fine in itself, but certain events from this years' race may be a sign of the frustration within the team. Whether Toyota must win next year depends on how much the VAG bros do or don't catch up, but what I'm interested in is if this win "smart" attitude will hold if/when Nissan become serious contenders.
Old 14 Nov 2014, 07:38 (Ref:3474469)   #1621
TF110
Veteran

United States
Theyre not under any illusion that three cars dont increase your chances. They actually did increase the budget. But that wasnt enough for everything needed to have a third car. Toyota has a new way of going about these things. Most of the board are probably profit driven, not passion. Oh well, better 2 cars than 1 or 0.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3474802)   #1622
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota has confirmed that some parts (namely a type of semiconductor it seems) for the next generation Prius will be influenced by experience gained with the TS030/TS040 program.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3474861)   #1623
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Interesting statement from John Dagys:
Quote:
Toyota’s 2015-spec TS040 Hybrid will begin testing in January, with Vasselon confirming the possibility of moving towards a battery-based energy storage system instead of its current supercapacitor units. A decision has yet to be made. “We have targets to improve, but based on this year, it would not be a sound decision to change everything and start from [scratch],” he said.
(source: sportscar365.com)
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3474867)   #1624
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do they have to change their energy storage system into batteries? Are supercapacitors have some disadvantages?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3474873)   #1625
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Why do they have to change their energy storage system into batteries? Are supercapacitors have some disadvantages?
Supercapacitors do also suffer from a limited storage capacity, which implies that the total amount of energy releasable by the ERS must be released is several charge-discharge cycles. Storage capacity is not as such an issue with batteries, which most certainly allows greater freedom in the energy release strategy and less dependence on the actual track characteristics.

With their battery-based solution, Porsche can pretty much decide where on the track they want to release energy. With their current hybrid architecture, Toyota - like Audi - have less freedom in that respect and have to release energy before the next braking point in order to free storage capacity.