Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Feb 2004, 14:57 (Ref:866379)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Mika the worst world champion ever"

A contributor to BBC Ceefax's letters page (yes, I'm sad enough to read it) claimed that Mika's criticism of Button is ridiculous as, in his words, Mika was a mediocre driver in a great car, who won nothing until McLaren produced a winning car.

Personally, I don't agree. In 1992 he produced some imrpessive drives in the uncompetitive Lotus, outqualified Senna at his first attempt in 1993, fought back from his near-fatal crash in Adelaide 1995, didn't let the succession of near-misses in 1997 get him down, and comfortably beat Coulthard for his two titles.

Then again, he wasn't as good as Michael, was prone to amateurish errors when the pressure was on, and he may have got more support at McLaren than DC.

So just how good/great/mediocre was he? Do you guys agree with this criticism?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:01 (Ref:866382)   #2
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At his best, great, but two titles flatters him.

His second title was the worst championship I've seen but his first was amongst the best.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:02 (Ref:866383)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika was an excellent driver. Some of his qualifying-hotlaps were simply breathtaking. It's somewhat unfair to take anything away from him, claiming his titles got more to do with Newey than with Mika himself. A good car is an essential part of motorracing success, just ask TGF, but a good car won't win with a mediocre driver in an environment as competitive as Formula 1.

All in all, he was no Micheal, but I wouldn't mind placing him higher up in the order than Damon and Jacques, and in that sense I believe he was always Micheal's biggest rival.

In took some time for Mika and McLaren to get to the top, but in those days one could say:

"Mclaren created a monster. Ferrari bought one."
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:20 (Ref:866393)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I generally agree with you NGE.

I like Mika, I think most MS fans do. He was'nt a great, and not as good as Michael, but he was sooooo fast in quals you could'nt say he was'nt good.

The British press need to stop taking leads from the Canadians and get a life.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:25 (Ref:866396)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mika for me, was a great, great driver although I wouldn't give him more than two titles.

In qualifying he was magical and he wrung a cars neck. And Nurburgring 1998 was just sublime!

He had his downsides though......the way he seemingly gave in at the beginning of 2000 and through most of 2001 was terrible to watch, although his motivation was running low I guess.

All in all though, he was a great champion, a superior car does not take that away from him.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:04 (Ref:866415)   #6
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
his pass of schumacher at spa 2000...or was it 2001?....sealed it for me....a great driver and a worthy champion.......
Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:16 (Ref:866421)   #7
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great driver, great guy, great champion.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:28 (Ref:866429)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
By this somewhat unconnected statement, I assume you think Canadians need to "get a life" too. What are you talking about? The Canadian press? Or just your average Canadian F1 fan? Are you trying to drag Jacques into this thread? If you are implying that the press in Canada has gone overboard in its reporting regarding JV and BAR, I can tell you that it has barely rated more than a brief paragraph in most Canadian media, particularly west of Ontario. Not even close to Wonderbutt in England.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:35 (Ref:866433)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonderbutt...
Old 7 Feb 2004, 17:00 (Ref:866444)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I found Mika's statements surprising since he has never really been that outspoken. Also ironic because I always thought that he himself was not aggressive enough and inconsistent when he was under pressure or in a less than perfect setup. Was he the worst WDC; very close between he and Damon I'd say.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 17:12 (Ref:866453)   #11
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he won two WCs...beating out Schumi both times.
That must be good for something, eh?

Sometimes I think F1 people aren't happy unless they're UNHAPPY and griping about something or someone.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 17:45 (Ref:866465)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Well, he won two WCs...beating out Schumi both times.
1998, yes
1999, no
Old 7 Feb 2004, 18:45 (Ref:866497)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Every WDC is certainly a superb driver, but by WDC top standards there are some one-time WDC who are really marginal (always in terms of WDC elite). I think MH is a worthy two-time WDC, but I admit the two-time club is a very exigent one (Ascari, G.Hill, Clark, Fittipaldi) and I understand who opines MH is below them.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 19:02 (Ref:866502)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

n 1: someone who presides over a forum or debate 2: someone who mediates disputes and attempts to avoid violence

Or in this case insults!

As for Mika, he was clearly very quick but lacked Schumacher's consistency and ability in the wet. However if it weren't for reliability Mika could have been very close to winning in 2000. He was clearly the best competition that Michael ever had in their respective championship cars.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Feb 2004, 19:57 (Ref:866545)   #15
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one area where Michael really scores over his rivals is his decade-long consistency. Hakkinen, Frentzen, Villeneuve, Hill, maybe Panis have had years as good as Michael but Michael just stays there year after year.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 20:17 (Ref:866558)   #16
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be fair to assume that Wrex was talking about the Canadian press and not Canadians in general.

As for Mika, he had his ups and downs. I don't think he was the worst ever but he was sure no Clark or Senna. At least he won his titles while MS was still racing same as Hill and J Villenueve. b4 Jerez 97 I thought he would never win a race or WDC like Amon
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:08 (Ref:866695)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: "Mika the worst world champion ever"

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Then again, he wasn't as good as Michael, was prone to amateurish errors when the pressure was on, and he may have got more support at McLaren than DC.

Mika made less mistakes than most drivers, and NEVER when the pressure was on.

The only really big mistakes he made in his time at the sharp end were Imola and Monza 1999 - both of which races he was controlling and actually slipped up with the pressure OFF.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:12 (Ref:866703)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As for Canadian press: one is hard pressed to find any media coverage of auto racing whatsoever. JV is mentioned occasionally only, its always old news and by the time a story is reported most F1 fans are fully aware. Sad really but quite the opposite to the (often fanatical) media coverage you get overseas.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:26 (Ref:866708)   #19
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The image I always remember of Mika was qualifying at Spa one year.

Coming out of the Bus stop, to get a better angle past the post, he oversteered the car then caught it, giving him a straight run to the line. Wonderful....
Old 8 Feb 2004, 00:21 (Ref:866731)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: "Mika the worst world champion ever"

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
In 1992 he produced some imrpessive drives in the uncompetitive Lotus,
So did Herbert so i wonder what he would have acheived if he had driven the McLaren?

Mika was a very talented driver who won a WDC in the best car and a second because Michael had a broken leg and because Ferrari concentrated on Michael too much before that broken leg.

Last edited by Mr V; 8 Feb 2004 at 00:22.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 02:20 (Ref:866784)   #21
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is often Forgotten that Mika was well ahead of Michael when that leg was broken.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 02:33 (Ref:866789)   #22
dynamicDynamo
Rookie

dynamicDynamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in his own words.....the late Senna rated Mikka extremely highly.....thats all I need in comparison to what any journo who hasnt been there and drive can write
Old 8 Feb 2004, 02:34 (Ref:866790)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by L-B
It is often Forgotten that Mika was well ahead of Michael when that leg was broken.
Maybe, but then, Michael was ahead of Eddie, and Eddie got to within 2 points at the end of the season.

If Ferrari had supported both drivers equally, Eddie would have won for not having to play second fiddle.

Michael would have won it had he not broken his leg.

Both ferrari drivers could have won it.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 03:40 (Ref:866807)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One can't help but think that Mika's motivation would have been higher against Michael as opposed to Eddie. Mika has shown to make his mistakes when he was too relaxed, something Michael very rarely let him do.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Feb 2004, 03:46 (Ref:866809)   #25
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mika is the worst WDC what does that make Rosberg who won only one race in '82?

Or Piquet's third WDC in 1987, which was unconvincing at best.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Closed Thread