Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2961215)   #1
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Major Historic Dates for 2012

I think it will be of interest to ALL of us to see what's shaping up for next year. Please keep adding anything that qualifies ( subjective I know but I suspect we all probably know what this entails).

Nothing is totaly certain yet BUT

For Starters

May 5-7th 360 MC 2 day event Snetterton
.....................Donington Historic

June 22- 24 MG Live
June 30- July 1 Bands Superprix?

July 6-9 Le Mans Classic
July 20 - 22 Silverstone Classic

Aug 11-12 Bentley DC Silv
Aug 25-27 OPGC

Sept 1-2 See Red Donington
Sept 14 - 16 Goodwood Revival
Sept 21- 24 Spa 6 hr

Anything to add ?
Old 26 Sep 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2961255)   #2
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this based on fact or just using last year's dates and a bit of logic? As yet none of the clubs have indicated any dates are fixed for next year.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2961394)   #3
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi there !

for Dijon next year 23 & 24th of June !

Old 27 Sep 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2961434)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Hi there !

for Dijon next year 23 & 24th of June !
Vous remercier mon ami et accueillir Ã* notre groupe.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2961513)   #5
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derwent
Info based on research and what has already been published !!! Also depends who you talk to. Most dates have already been decided even if not promoted.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2961515)   #6
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Is this based on fact or just using last year's dates and a bit of logic? As yet none of the clubs have indicated any dates are fixed for next year.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the beast no one can say for certain because of Bernie and then Alan etc...so we wait with baited breath and hope that all what we have planned is not ruined because the high and mighty want to move stuff.

What I will say is that we (as in 360 mrc) announced to the world 15 days after the last running what the intended date for the 2012 360 Endurance Festival would be. Its as in stone as it can be
Its the 5th and 6th May 2012 (the Saturday and Sunday) of the first May bank holiday
Old 29 Sep 2011, 04:00 (Ref:2962379)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monaco

Looks as though the McLaren Trust (NZ) is getting up a group for the Monaco Historics May 10th-13th 2012, so I presume that date is a goer...
Old 29 Sep 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2962394)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with 2011, I will attempt to add the dates to the calendar. But can you give me a bit of time please?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2962418)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No Peter its nearly October already!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2962445)   #10
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Claire has hit the nail on the head. I've been involved with doing regional dates for many years and there was a time when the MSA wanted regional associations to submit dates by the end of August.
Now we are all influenced by Bernie, Alan and also the BRC. If any of those change dates there is a ripple effect right down to clubmans race meetings, sprints and rallies. The main venue owners will put the "big" events first for commercial reasons and happily shunt a pre arranged date to somewhere else.
There is also an increasing shortage of rescue crews and marshals so it can be difficult to run smaller events if there is say a BTCC or BRC event within 200 miles.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2962455)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wish F1 had gone and done one when they threatened too.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2962472)   #12
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is also an increasing shortage of rescue crews and marshals so it can be difficult to run smaller events if there is say a BTCC or BRC event within 200 miles.
I don't doubt that - as a general rule - what you say is true. However, I marshalled a club sprint at the Lotus Test track at Hethel a few months ago which clashed with the BTCC weekend at Snetterton (only a few miles down the road). I was gobsmacked at the large turnout of 'orange' marshals, about 85% of whom were Snetterton locals who decided they preferred a club sprint to the BTCC at their local circuit. The 7Oaks Crystal Palace sprint is also well supported by 'orange' marshals despite the Masters having run a clashing 3 day event at Brands Hatch both this year and last.

Thankfully, not all of the UK's marshalling force chase the so called marquee events (particularly the BTCC).
Old 29 Sep 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2962506)   #13
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I totally agree Peter. Many marshals prefer the smaller events where there is less pressure and the drivers are friendly. The bigger problem is with rescue units, the big race series are happy to pay bigger fees which the crews need to keep the units up to standard.
For many years I was chair of the organising committee of the BRC round Pirelli International Rally. It became just too much like a job with all time neded and the pressure from the (few) major teams. I am much happier now running clubby events for enthusiasts like myself!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2962544)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
I don't doubt that - as a general rule - what you say is true. However, I marshalled a club sprint at the Lotus Test track at Hethel a few months ago which clashed with the BTCC weekend at Snetterton (only a few miles down the road). I was gobsmacked at the large turnout of 'orange' marshals, about 85% of whom were Snetterton locals who decided they preferred a club sprint to the BTCC at their local circuit. The 7Oaks Crystal Palace sprint is also well supported by 'orange' marshals despite the Masters having run a clashing 3 day event at Brands Hatch both this year and last.

Thankfully, not all of the UK's marshalling force chase the so called marquee events (particularly the BTCC).

Thing is....they had the choice....because you are talking two different circuits....however, If its a choice between me and the BTCC....the circuit says "BTCC comes first" so I dont get the date I thought I had.

It is soooo wrong how its done....and I am wondering how long its going to be before someone sues someone because, to plan a race meeting with a bit of content, takes a fair amount of time. the project is no small fiet as such, there are lots of things to plan, so you pick a date and aim for that...get things booked, deposits etc, then someone pulls the rug from you.... and says "sorry that’s not available anymore"....mmmmm someone somewhere legally is gonna challenge that, then and only then are you gonna see some action

At the moment, everyone says "well there’s nothing you can do about it" ....wait til someone gets a summons to attend a court....I think then it will be "ohhhh we may have a problem here"

In this day and age, if I book a venue for a wedding, or any function, I pay a deposit and thats that. there is a contract as such and venues cant just say "ohhh someone else wants that now so im sorry, you cant have it that day"...they would be sued etc. so please tell me why is it possible that its allowable in motorsport? it is a monopoly, and bordering on illegal if you ask me.......and I dont mind saying it because its a free country...I have EVERY intention to eventually somehow CHANGE IT

If it were football, would this country stand for Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsen Venger dictating when the rest of the football leagues should play their games? no they would not, it is governed by the FA not MUFC and AFC ...and in this country it should be THE MSA not the BTCC and F1 then again, I do not believe that the chairman of the governing body of a sport should also be responsible for one of the sports participants

I shall now get off my soapbox
Old 29 Sep 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2962556)   #15
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohhh you're a scary woman Claire.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2962566)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Ohhh you're a scary woman Claire.
She's only scary because she's 100% right in everything she's said .

.....so that's two of us in for the high jump if, as I suspect, such postings are monitored by the MSA!!!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2962570)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't have said scary,but obviously has a problem answering her text's.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2962572)   #18
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Couple of things

1 JG dont get us both hanged....SAVE YORUSELF!! ha ha

2 Im not much good at spelling either (Wenger not Venger....but you know what I meant)

3 Terry

WHAT TEXT????

ta
Claire

PS,
Old 29 Sep 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2962582)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Claire versus MSA (suitable other organisations may be substituted here)?

Know who my money would be on.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 29 Sep 2011 at 16:20.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2963008)   #20
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Again I agree. The clubs have been making this point for some years but the commercial side of the sport always holds sway. I've always wondered how Alan Gow became Chair of the MSA, he has no interest in anything other than the BTCC and spends half the year in Australia!
Old 30 Sep 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2963012)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
If it were football, would this country stand for Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsen Venger dictating when the rest of the football leagues should play their games? no they would not, it is governed by the FA not MUFC and AFC
O/T but what's this about Arsenal playing football?

Quote:
3 Terry
WHAT TEXT????
Just humour him Claire, It's Terry and his imaginary text machine
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2963052)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You,you mean I haven't really got one? Oh no! there was me thinking I was getting better
Old 1 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2963366)   #23
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Again I agree. The clubs have been making this point for some years but the commercial side of the sport always holds sway. I've always wondered how Alan Gow became Chair of the MSA, he has no interest in anything other than the BTCC and spends half the year in Australia!
Where he spends half the year I cannot comment on and in truth I have no interest in that but I take on board your point in making.
I just think that it is a conflict of interest that the "manager" for want of a better word of a championship which is governed by a regulating body is also...the Chairman of THAT SAME regulating body and if I am wrong stop me there?...and Im serious, if anyone knows of another sport where that is the case I would be eager for them to tell?

Now, I will say this, I am an official of that said regulating body and very proud to be one and so I suppose I should not question such matters and certainly not discuss on a forum such as this according to some. TOUGH I am entitled to MY opinion (and I confirm this is MY opinion) and in this country Im entitled to it and to tell others about it if I so wish.

Having said that, this thread is about Major Historic Dates for 2012 (May 5th and 6th comes to mind) so perhaps we should get back on thread

Last edited by MartinSmith; 1 Oct 2011 at 09:50.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2963381)   #24
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where he spends half the year I cannot comment on and in truth I have no interest in that but I take on board your point in making.
I just think that it is a conflict of interest that the "manager" for want of a better word of a championship which is governed by a regulating body is also...the Chairman of THAT SAME regulating body and if I am wrong stop me there?...and Im serious, if anyone knows of another sport where that is the case I would be eager for them to tell?

Now, I will say this, I am an official of that said regulating body and very proud to be one and so I suppose I should not question such matters and certainly not discuss on a forum such as this according to some. TOUGH I am entitled to MY opinion (and I confirm this is MY opinion) and in this country Im entitled to it and to tell others about it if I so wish.

Having said that, this thread is about Major Historic Dates for 2012 (May 5th and 6th comes to mind) so perhaps we should get back on thread
FWIW Claire, Nobody doubts (well me anyway) doubts the veracity of your point. I dont have all the facts of course, but on the face of things the status quo does seem rather ludicrous. We, (the general masses) just assume it has always been like that, and we wait until someone like you comes along to improve things.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2964013)   #25
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
I think it will be of interest to ALL of us to see what's shaping up for next year. Please keep adding anything that qualifies ( subjective I know but I suspect we all probably know what this entails).

Nothing is totaly certain yet BUT

For Starters

May 5-7th 360 MC 2 day event Snetterton
.....................Donington Historic

June 22- 24 MG Live
June 30- July 1 Bands Superprix?

July 6-9 Le Mans Classic
July 20 - 22 Silverstone Classic

Aug 11-12 Bentley DC Silv
Aug 25-27 OPGC

Sept 1-2 See Red Donington
Sept 14 - 16 Goodwood Revival