Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 May 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4049230)   #151
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
according to latest rumors porsche is going to develope a lmdh using the multimatic tub and powered by a porsche V8. The same car will be rebadged as audi and used both by porsche and audi for their work and customers WEC/IMSA programs (audi lmdh will officially debut at 2023 daytona 24h). There are rumors about lamborghini joining the VAG lmdh party...
Isn't Audi supposed to have a different engine and bodywork than the Porsche? I thought they were just going to share a chassis.
Old 2 May 2021, 16:56 (Ref:4049237)   #152
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Isn't Audi supposed to have a different engine and bodywork than the Porsche? I thought they were just going to share a chassis.
Read about the multimatic-porsche lmdh shared by porsche, audi and possibly lamborghini rumor about 7-10 days ago, there is nothing confirmed yet of course but is more or less certain that is porsche the one that picked multimatic and likely the one who got the duty to design and develope the prototype.
Old 4 May 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4049637)   #153
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
So that'll be return of the Penske Porsches:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-and-imsa.html
Old 4 May 2021, 15:46 (Ref:4049653)   #154
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
So that'll be return of the Penske Porsches:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-and-imsa.html
The name rings a bell, have they raced in the series before?
Old 4 May 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4049703)   #155
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To me the excitement is 100% dependent on what the Porsche LMDH car looks like and what engine it has. If it has a body shape looking like a prototpe version of the 911 RSR, and if it has the engine scream similar to it as well, then I'll be happy. Would love for Porsche to return to the factory livery they had from 2017-2019. The current one that is white, grey with a red strip is hideous.
Old 4 May 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4049724)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will likely be a V8 barring Audi getting Lamborghini to commit early and V10 but feels like Cayenne/Macan powerplant not a tuned Flat 6. Especially if they want to share development costs, it will have to be a shared engine. Porsche already mentioned they had reviewed the engine availability and had made a choice, the didn't say what other than it's a current engine. Possibly the V6 option but think of what is in series now and what they need to fit in an LMP2 chassis.

Doubtful we'll see anything close to street car styling, MAYBE as much work as Mazda did but more than EAM or Acura has done at least.
Old 4 May 2021, 22:00 (Ref:4049730)   #157
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To fit a turbo boxer 6 cylinders in a lmp designed tub is basically impossible, the most rumored options are the cayenne derivated V8 or an updated version of the 918 V8 (that basically is an updated and enlarged version of the rs spyder engine).
Since audi and porsche will have a customers program too, likely engine will be as simple as possible to keep engine managment/rebuilding prices reasonable also for private teams.
I don't expect stuff like heavy reworked or semi-bespoke high efficient turbo V6, lmdh simply doesn't need that being a bop class. Look at acura dpi, its engine is pretty good and powerful despite being an enlarged racing tuned honda accord V6 of about 20 years ago...
Old 5 May 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4049808)   #158
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I would expect more taycan derived styling than 911. Basically just headlights shaped similarly.
Old 5 May 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4049814)   #159
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well we haven't seen the Multimatic bodywork yet so it could be anything. Guessing they won't use the old Riley look as the base.

But yes, I expect less than Mazda even though the regs are written to allow more I can't remember if it requires more.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 00:46 (Ref:4054297)   #160
Bobby_status
Racer

Bobby_status should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/...rtscar-return/

I wasn't holding my breath on this one.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 01:18 (Ref:4054298)   #161
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Me neither.

Although on one hand it seems odd with Zak into his sportscar racing and United being very good in LMP2. On the other there are always rumors and it never goes anywhere and I’d think McLaren fits in LMP1 only if they build the entire car.

And there are the reason Zak states which are fair.

Still, time to start the 2024 rumors.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 22:57 (Ref:4054395)   #162
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think McLaren has the money to do racing in the top class. I also feel their hoping f1 stays on a budget cap which is probably the only way to fight for wins.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4054491)   #163
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, think there's a better chance Hyundai or Kia enter a car than McLaren. Feels like they have near zero extra cash and are pinching on the F1 side hoping the cap helps them. Indycar seems like it actually makes them a bit of money, maybe not from the sponsors but being there and pressing the flesh when you get to publicly again will help and they are trying to win car sales with that. McLaren US buyers aren't going to notice it's a Chevy in the back, or honestly care much, it's the prestige of McLaren and sadly much of the history is wasted on the rich.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 00:48 (Ref:4055032)   #164
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Word on the street says that the boys from Bavaria are giving the LMDh rules the once-over. The new guy heading the motorsports department is making the right but cautious words, even as there will be some changes to the list of series they will be entering.
I can see them running two teams, one in Europe and one in the states. RLL will get the IMSA one.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4055225)   #165
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Word on the street says that the boys from Bavaria are giving the LMDh rules the once-over. The new guy heading the motorsports department is making the right but cautious words, even as there will be some changes to the list of series they will be entering.
I can see them running two teams, one in Europe and one in the states. RLL will get the IMSA one.
That's awesome news about BMW! I assume Turner will handle the GTD duties in the AM class but would BMW let them run GTD PRO as well?
Old 10 Jun 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4055594)   #166
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Add one to the list

https://racer.com/2021/06/10/bmw-confirms-lmdh-program/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP8d2i2J..._web_copy_link

That's literally all they released so no info about who, where, how many races, etc.

MP also included Lamborghini and GM expected to confirm soon giving us Porsche/Audi/Lamborghini, Acura, and BMW for a total of 7 chassis options with 4 constructors.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4055629)   #167
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds awful
Old 10 Jun 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4055632)   #168
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...and there it is.
Looks like more and more manufacturers are giving the LMDh rules the 'thumbs up' and signing on. Gives them the engineering they want, at prices that are hard to resist. Being able to race on both continents, as well as the major races ( Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, Spa, et al),is just icing on the cake.
Old 12 Jun 2021, 04:31 (Ref:4055815)   #169
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Theres more info out on the bmw project. 2 car factory program in imsa beginning in 2023.
Old 16 Jun 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4056695)   #170
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angelelli: Up to Eight LMDh Manufacturers By 2024

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...urers-by-2024/
Old 5 Jul 2021, 06:59 (Ref:4059887)   #171
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have not been around for a while, but what has happened to sports car racing? They simply ran it into the ground.

In 2004 when it all went downhill, ALMS wanted to sue me for my comments. If they only listened to me back then. Sports car racing will never ever be what it used to be if you do not bring the cost down to like 5 million max. Back then we could run LMP1 program for 1 million. Racing for Holland was able to use fans and few sponsors to show up at Le Mans with a car.

They killed the entire romantism of sports car racing. Spec cars, hyper cars, hyper LH cars, whatever that is. 10 different classes. PRO/AM drivers. US vs Europe. Green racing. Hybrid spec systems. Corporations/Manufacturers. Shark fins. What have you done people? Everything divided and watered down to nothing.

Last edited by awegrzyn; 5 Jul 2021 at 07:06.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4060014)   #172
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
I have not been around for a while, but what has happened to sports car racing? They simply ran it into the ground.

In 2004 when it all went downhill, ALMS wanted to sue me for my comments. If they only listened to me back then. Sports car racing will never ever be what it used to be if you do not bring the cost down to like 5 million max. Back then we could run LMP1 program for 1 million. Racing for Holland was able to use fans and few sponsors to show up at Le Mans with a car.

They killed the entire romantism of sports car racing. Spec cars, hyper cars, hyper LH cars, whatever that is. 10 different classes. PRO/AM drivers. US vs Europe. Green racing. Hybrid spec systems. Corporations/Manufacturers. Shark fins. What have you done people? Everything divided and watered down to nothing.
Err....100% disagree with. Funny thing is that my biggest complaint about sportscar racing today was not even mentioned here, which is how some of the series's approaches to safety car periods are. Especially IMSA and SRO. But this comment is silly.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 03:19 (Ref:4060049)   #173
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
In 2004 when it all went downhill, ALMS wanted to sue me for my comments.
But who hasn’t been taken to court by a race series?

Quote:
Back then we could run LMP1 program for 1 million.
We seem to be on the brink of it becoming worth it for many, albeit more than a million probably. And globally have the first proper privateer for years.

Quote:
Shark fins.
not an important point, but those fines aren’t mandated in hypercar now. However, they have been chosen by Toyota as it was the best way to make the car safer. See last months race car engineering article.
Old 9 Jul 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4060513)   #174
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Full convergence with LMH!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...from-2023.html
Old 9 Jul 2021, 15:27 (Ref:4060516)   #175
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Fantastic! I know the bop will always be an issue, but just having the opportunity to see the hypercars stateside is going to be great.