Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1252958)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Chevrolet Corvette

Now, as with so many of my posts, this is based on something I half-remember reading somewhere, but I seem to recall in the early days of the C5-R programme it was stated that Chevy was running a works programme with the C5-R simply to showcase the car to potential customers. If I'm not completely mistaken about this, why did it take so long to see customer cars being sold, and why have so few been sold compared to, say, the Viper, the 50th version of which was recently featured in the thread about Alain Prost? How many C5-Rs were built, anyway?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1252961)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if GM ever wanted to actively market and sell customer cars, but I do have a question in response. How affordable is this car? I'd imagine that it would be quite expensive, which is a major problem with these top flight GT1 cars.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1253076)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The C5-R was for sale at all times. There were several orders that fell through for various reasons, and one GT class car built by P&M.

Around 12 were built, there is an article somewhere on them, but I can't seem to find it. The cost to buy one now is around $300,000 or so. Certainly less then a new DP.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1253097)   #4
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To showcase the production car..to Europe..that and well now the knowledge of racing development for applications on the road car..
Old 16 Mar 2005, 05:17 (Ref:1253098)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is that all Fogelhund? That is pretty reasonable. Don't the 575's go for much more than that. And I wonder what a 550 lease costs for one year.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1253114)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if it was only 300.000 for sure somebody would have bought some .
and probably would have been competitive against the 550..

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1253230)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this point was raised on an old ALMS thread a while back, but somebody reasoned the C5 was never widely picked up due to the customer having to run against the factory outfit on the same track.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1253379)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
if it was only 300.000 for sure somebody would have bought some .
and probably would have been competitive against the 550..
That's an estimate based on a direct quote from Tyler Tadevic (team principal of Pacific Coast Motorsports). I believe in fact it's closer to 250 he paid.

Mind you, that's for the C5-R this year. In previous years it might've been a bit higher.

My belief is that for Chevrolet the effort is a halo effort. Corvette has always been their engineering exercise, and for a long time was done very separately from the rest of their lineup. Sorta like how Ford says their new GT is "the pace car for the entire company" the Corvette paces Chevrolet's image - but for real, where the GT is simply for track days or show rooms.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Mar 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1253485)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well Pacific Coast turned in a very solid time yesterday with their privateer C5R. And why have not more European teams wanted to pick up one of these cars? You get a very quick race car and you would not have to go heads up with the factory team. This would be a great car for the LMES season.

Now if only somebody like Prodrive would make a racecar out of the new Ford GT.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1253703)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Well Pacific Coast turned in a very solid time yesterday with their privateer C5R. And why have not more European teams wanted to pick up one of these cars?
They have wanted, but GM would not deliver.

Quote:
You get a very quick race car and you would not have to go heads up with the factory team. This would be a great car for the LMES season.
there will br two of them.

Quote:
Now if only somebody like Prodrive would make a racecar out of the new Ford GT.
Nah, too many recalls.