Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3818318)   #76
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I almost wish Plato his 3 wins to reach 100 wins and announce his retirement

biggest chance at RWD tracks, Croft, Oulton and Knockhill
Old 30 Apr 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3818338)   #77
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I almost wish Plato his 3 wins to reach 100 wins and announce his retirement

biggest chance at RWD tracks, Croft, Oulton and Knockhill
Wouldn't you prefer him to keep struggling towards that milestone - and therefore not pose a threat to a Honda driver?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3818343)   #78
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Probably the latter. It was bitterly cold trackside
Another traditionally freezing Donington round.

Always exacerbates 'twitchiness', provides a few set-up curveballs and surprising results.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3818367)   #79
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Who will pull the plug first on this - Plato, Subaru or BMR?
I do not believe there is much Subaru money. There isn't much BMR money either allegedly. The money is JP and Flux.

Sooner or later JP will either realise he is past it OR look for a ride elsewhere if he believes he still has it. I was gobsmacked this omnishambles continued into this year frankly.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3818372)   #80
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Although my own personal (very low) opinion of the man makes me doubt that he could ever question his own abilities, I wonder if he'll get himself a drive in something else, not necessarily a BTCC Car (and probably in private) just to confirm that he still can peddle?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3818378)   #81
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Although my own personal (very low) opinion of the man makes me doubt that he could ever question his own abilities, I wonder if he'll get himself a drive in something else, not necessarily a BTCC Car (and probably in private) just to confirm that he still can peddle?
A future peddling historics for other people at Silverstone Classic and Goodwood seems most likely (I know he does that now - I mean he'll just do that in the future). He can sit at home on his not insignificant pile of cash and rock up to drive other peoples cars and have his ego massaged a few times a year.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3818396)   #82
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
My only criticism would be that the differences between tires are a bit too great - the option / prime split seems a bit unnecessary.
I agree. However, the cold temperatures had a big part to play. Don't think the difference will be the same as the year progresses. Many of us thought the same when Donington was cold and dry a couple years back.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3818397)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was surprised at Turkington's lack of speed in race 3. After he caught the pack up after the safety car I thought he would start to make his way through the field, however I don't think he progressed past last place.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3818414)   #84
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Wouldn't you prefer him to keep struggling towards that milestone - and therefore not pose a threat to a Honda driver?
actually yes, a few seasons outside the top 10 is FUN as heck

and why do you mention Honda driver ? I would be fine if guys like Tingram, Morgan or Ginger can get the title but honestly I expect Sutton and the WSR squad to bounce back after Thruxton
Old 30 Apr 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3818422)   #85
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
actually yes, a few seasons outside the top 10 is FUN as heck

and why do you mention Honda driver ? I would be fine if guys like Tingram, Morgan or Ginger can get the title but honestly I expect Sutton and the WSR squad to bounce back after Thruxton
Has WSR ever been fast at Thruxton?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3818448)   #86
porsche962fan
Veteran

not really, but they were always bloody fast at Croft , it's their track
Old 1 May 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3818549)   #87
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
James Cole, most improved driver by far.

Shame for Tordoff.

Well done Cook, great drive.

The new Subaru engine is visibly slower on the straight. Every other car seems equal, but Swindon have some work to do.
'James Cole' ....Has DEFINITELY improved...I'd put Smiley, Proctor, Simpson, Smith etc as having improved....I doubt if David Bartrum was overly impressed when he took out Tordoff and almost hit Chilton at the Old Hairpin in race three!

Agree ..shame for Tordoff...he will win races...

Speaking to a few of the drivers, one thing is very noticeable is just how ballistic the Fords are in a straight line! Chilton especially seemed to be incredibly quick....

Maybe now Mountune are not lumbered with the Subaru stigma then Motorbase have been able to argue for more grunt! It looks that way.
Old 1 May 2018, 01:50 (Ref:3818551)   #88
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC 2018 is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Overall an excellent weekend of racing - Ingram and Goff paving the way for a championship duel.

Great to see Morgan finally add to his win count and see Cook shake off 2017. Smiley got some great results for him and team and Collard looked much quicker than at Brands.

AmD MGs seemed to be quicker than the Audis. Butcher has definitely impressed me!

As others have said James Cole is much improved. Motorbase incredibly unlucky so far, definitely have the pace now in the Focus to challenge for wins.

Terrible weekend for Turkington but as Sutton showed last year you can still be the champion on 9 rounds.

Subarus anonymous again, shockingly after Plato assured all had been fixed.

Disappointing for HARD too on a circuit that should've suited the VWs, Hill really should've been in the mix for podiums and I expected more of Thompson giving his performance in the VW Cup.

Again, to me driving standards were very good despite a slippery looking track.
In Goff and Ingram you have two very fast, very focussed drivers, who both now have a decent amount of experience, are proven winners, and have teams that are 100% behind them....It's very early days - there's still 24 races left! - but they are both looking very impressive.

When the Merc is fast it's REALLY fast - look at how well both Morgan and Moffat got the power down and drove past people on corner exit....mega job all round

Cook was very impressive. The team have clearly found something - two wins and a second plus a Pole...bloody strong results.

Not sure if it's the cars or the drivers that are quicker at AmD...would be interesting to see Rory in the Audi, or someone like Moffat or Hill...I think it's a very good car....

Sutton was strong at times...

Don't think I have EVER seen WSR have so many issues - they will get it sorted - DO NOT write off Turkington yet....as Ingram showed at Oulton last year things can all change in just one weekend. Watch out for Turks...

Sorry, still not buying into James Cole. Def. better though...

Team HARD had all sorts of dramas in practice and qually...Caine had a clutch go, Thompson steering issues, Bushell had suspension issues, and Hill was fast in qually but lost his times due to failing the ride height...

Both Hill and Bushell showed what racers they are - Hill went from 25th to 17th in race one, then lost out on the 'hards' in two, and then was mega in three...the pass on Butcher at the Craners was mega!

He won Jack Sears and Forever Forward so technically he DID get a podium!

How Bushell survived the first lap and then STILL got a point. Very good.

Thompson is quick just needs a bit of time. And Caine needs some luck!

Remember Bushell almost matched Sutton's time in testing at Thruxton the other week, so they may be better there.

Overall - cold weather - red-hot action!!! How corny is that!
Old 1 May 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3818595)   #89
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Hill was fast in qually but lost his times due to failing the ride height...
...And then lost three more fast lap times by not knowing the rule about needing to get your ride height checked again after you've made it legal. He would have qualified 20th if he'd done that.
Old 1 May 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3818597)   #90
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
'James Cole' ....Has DEFINITELY improved...I'd put Smiley, Proctor, Simpson, Smith etc as having improved....I doubt if David Bartrum was overly impressed when he took out Tordoff and almost hit Chilton at the Old Hairpin in race three!

Agree ..shame for Tordoff...he will win races...

Speaking to a few of the drivers, one thing is very noticeable is just how ballistic the Fords are in a straight line! Chilton especially seemed to be incredibly quick....

Maybe now Mountune are not lumbered with the Subaru stigma then Motorbase have been able to argue for more grunt! It looks that way.
Have a look at sector times The Focus seems to have great mechanical traction out of slow medium corners which leads to higher v max speeds sooner . Haven't seen them blowing past other cars on the straights on the TV . Shame it seemed like the normal power balancing crying had gone away this year all the cars look pretty even - the Vauxhall looks like the real hotrod
Old 1 May 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3818605)   #91
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
...And then lost three more fast lap times by not knowing the rule about needing to get your ride height checked again after you've made it legal. He would have qualified 20th if he'd done that.
Which is even worse than at Brands as at least Dan had the excuse of it being his first race. What are the teams doing though? Surely someone should know the rules and remind the driver on the radio?
Old 1 May 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3818614)   #92
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Which is even worse than at Brands as at least Dan had the excuse of it being his first race. What are the teams doing though? Surely someone should know the rules and remind the driver on the radio?
because it was so near the end of the session they didnt have the time to come back in get it checked and then go out again get the tyres up to temp and set a time. so they just kept going around
Old 1 May 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3818629)   #93
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Has WSR ever been fast at Thruxton?
Old 1 May 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3818630)   #94
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I posted after race one, before races two and three...

Quote:
Disagree. I don't see that at all.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3818636)   #95
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
because it was so near the end of the session they didnt have the time to come back in get it checked and then go out again get the tyres up to temp and set a time. so they just kept going around
That makes no sense - why keep pounding around if you know the times aren't going to be allowed? Might as well just park it if you haven't got time to come in, get it checked and get out for another flying lap.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3818639)   #96
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The engine had been down on bottom end torque and the cars weren't as quick as others accelerating out of bends. Mountune did a lot of development on the engine to improve on this and it is obviously paying off.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3818643)   #97
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Which is pointless seeing as the laps don't count. Why risk a crash or something for no gain? Sure he would have got one lap in that would have counted.
Old 1 May 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3818654)   #98
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Which is pointless seeing as the laps don't count. Why risk a crash or something for no gain? Sure he would have got one lap in that would have counted.
Not pointless at all if it gives you more data on the car
Old 1 May 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3818663)   #99
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Not pointless at all if it gives you more data on the car
How much data are you going to gain at that point? Surely you'd be better off trying to get a time on the board - a couple of laps of data (after you've done 3 practice sessions already) or a chance to not start right at the back? Which is worth more? Easy right? (It's not the data)
Old 1 May 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3818686)   #100
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
How much data are you going to gain at that point? Surely you'd be better off trying to get a time on the board - a couple of laps of data (after you've done 3 practice sessions already) or a chance to not start right at the back? Which is worth more? Easy right? (It's not the data)
how do you know what they changed when the car was in the pits getting its ride height raised? they might have had to also change some settings so wanted to see how it went.