Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Dec 2018, 23:28 (Ref:3870991)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
They definitely look quicker than the old device. Are they actually?

Helluva line up of drivers and some great racing.

I wasn't sure but I will be tuning in for as much of the new season as possible.

Re the commentary. Varsha is much better than the bloke who anchors. Nicholls? He's awful!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3871002)   #77
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
They definitely look quicker than the old device. Are they actually?
Hard to say for sure.

At the Valencia pre-season test the best time overall was 1:16:977
A year ago it was 1:18:565

I don't know if they used the same layout of the track, and have no clue about the weather either.

We'll see after a few events when they have raced at tracks where they have been to before?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3871082)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just to add my support to the new cars and format. Only thing I’d happily lose is the fan boost.......

As has been said by others, it would be great to see the cars running on a traditional circuit at some point- if only to make a more direct comparison with other single seater racing.

Add the fact that BBC are showing the races in the UK, I will be tuning in again when possible.....
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3871231)   #79
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
the fan boost can easily be cheated same way driver of the day in F1 can be.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3871345)   #80
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just to add my support to the new cars and format. Only thing I’d happily lose is the fan boost.......

As has been said by others, it would be great to see the cars running on a traditional circuit at some point- if only to make a more direct comparison with other single seater racing.
As above - I'd lose the fan boost, lose the "attack mode" Mario Kart ******** and go to proper circuits. The racing was pretty good (and the driver lineup is impressive) but the circuit looked awful (just concrete, fencing and hoardings) - I know 'street circuits' is their thing but surely they can make them look better than that? Also the cars still sound dreadful - it's ok for a bit but by half distance the sound was actually irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Add the fact that BBC are showing the races in the UK, I will be tuning in again when possible.....
That makes it much more watchable - just being able to fire up the iplayer and catch up on the race is great. I'll watch more races - so I guess that's an improvement.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3871412)   #81
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
As above - I'd lose the fan boost, lose the "attack mode" Mario Kart ******** and go to proper circuits. The racing was pretty good (and the driver lineup is impressive) but the circuit looked awful (just concrete, fencing and hoardings) - I know 'street circuits' is their thing but surely they can make them look better than that? Also the cars still sound dreadful - it's ok for a bit but by half distance the sound was actually irritating.
i don’t blame them for staying away from proper circuits. like has been said before, they’re still no faster than a formula renault and that would draw inevitable comparisons with existing single seaters that would do them absolutely no favours at all.

personally i wish they’d sort the tyres out. yes, it’s great that they run ~eco friendly long lasting road tread, but they must lose a fair amount of performance there.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3871462)   #82
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The car tops out at its vMax quite early, so although it's Formula Renault speeds, it actually looks even worse.

I like the circuits tbh. It's a bit different. I don't mind the idea of the tyres, but they couldn't cope with standing water, which makes them a bit pointless.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3871465)   #83
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 car was just 2 seconds slower than a GT3 at Donington Park. That is not that slow, not in qualifying trim, at least.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3871484)   #84
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I like the circuits tbh. It's a bit different. I don't mind the idea of the tyres, but they couldn't cope with standing water, which makes them a bit pointless.
the absolute rubbish they have to run in testing because they're on a limited allowance is... astounding. i'm sure there's a good reason for the road tread though.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3871768)   #85
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don’t blame them for staying away from proper circuits. like has been said before, they’re still no faster than a formula renault and that would draw inevitable comparisons with existing single seaters that would do them absolutely no favours at all.
Quote:
I like the circuits tbh. It's a bit different.
Street circuits can be ok (Monaco and Baku for example) - they really need to showcase the city they're in. If you're calling a circuit 'London' for example then you need to see the sights, the landmarks, the things people think of when they hear 'London'. The race in Ad Diriyah could really have been anywhere - it was all concrete, fencing and hoardings - looked more like an industrial estate than a city - the F1 track in Valencia suffered from the same problem.

Quote:
personally i wish they’d sort the tyres out. yes, it’s great that they run ~eco friendly long lasting road tread, but they must lose a fair amount of performance there.
Quote:
I don't mind the idea of the tyres, but they couldn't cope with standing water, which makes them a bit pointless.
They can do what they like with the tyres in terms of life/grip - just stop them squealing please! I guess running on those tyres is also a deliberate way of keeping speeds under control - but also encouraging racing - braking distances are increased, the cars are more 'slidy' so a mistake can cost you more. The racing itself is fine - it's the circuits, noise and gimmicks I don't like.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3871773)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Street circuits can be ok (Monaco and Baku for example) - they really need to showcase the city they're in. If you're calling a circuit 'London' for example then you need to see the sights, the landmarks, the things people think of when they hear 'London'. The race in Ad Diriyah could really have been anywhere - it was all concrete, fencing and hoardings - looked more like an industrial estate than a city - the F1 track in Valencia suffered from the same problem.

They can do what they like with the tyres in terms of life/grip - just stop them squealing please! I guess running on those tyres is also a deliberate way of keeping speeds under control - but also encouraging racing - braking distances are increased, the cars are more 'slidy' so a mistake can cost you more. The racing itself is fine - it's the circuits, noise and gimmicks I don't like.
Bert, I’m with you on both points! Squealing tyres don’t belong on a single seater......
Old 22 Dec 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3871926)   #87
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a great supporter of FE, I think it's on the road to great things. Can you sense a however coming...???

All the Mario Kart stuff is pants. That includes the Mickey Mouse circuits (to mix cartoon characters!). Unfortunately this is the demographic to which they have pitched the racing, to try to "engage" the "youth" of the world. Let's be honest, given the low viewing figures even after four seasons it clearly hasn't worked so please can we go back to proper racing now? You never know it might just put viewing figures up ....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Dec 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3872201)   #88
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Squealing tyres can be heard because of low engine sound, in other series engine is so loud that you can't hear it.
Old 24 Dec 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3872260)   #89
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Exactly, and I think it's awesome. It makes you feel that car are taking corners as fast as they can.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3872379)   #90
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I like the engine sound it goes with the futuristic looking cars,it's like watching something out of 'Thunderbirds"...
Old 1 Jan 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3873472)   #91
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Exactly, and I think it's awesome. It makes you feel that car are taking corners as fast as they can.
It makes me think the cars aren't taking the corners as fast as they can - they're just struggling for grip and could take them a lot faster with better tyres. Squealing tyres is wasted power.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3873648)   #92
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Apologies if this has all been discussed before, but after watching the short video about the tyres I now appreciate why they squeal. Quote- ‘the technology is really relevant to road cars’.......

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that, BTW!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CmQ40BLbg
Old 5 Jan 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3874122)   #93
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
It makes me think the cars aren't taking the corners as fast as they can - they're just struggling for grip and could take them a lot faster with better tyres. Squealing tyres is wasted power.
exactly. but then if the tyres were more grippy, would they use more power? is it a bit of a limiting exercise?

i like the idea of hearing more than just the engine note - see the f1 sound, which is more complex if a bit less satisfying than it used to be. but it just feels a bit weird to be using those tyres. you can get tons of use out of a well-constructed slick, which is something michelin are pretty good at (eg the formula renault tyre).
Old 9 Jan 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3874920)   #94
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
exactly. but then if the tyres were more grippy, would they use more power? is it a bit of a limiting exercise?
Possibly - also I suspect if the tyres were grippier we'd have less overtaking (less grip = longer braking distances + more chance of mistakes).

Quote:
i like the idea of hearing more than just the engine note - see the f1 sound, which is more complex if a bit less satisfying than it used to be.
The sound is a big problem for Formula E (for me anyway ) - really not keen on it (whiny motor + tyre squeal). But I like turbo chatter and anti-lag though so I guess I'm a dinosaur!

Quote:
but it just feels a bit weird to be using those tyres. you can get tons of use out of a well-constructed slick, which is something michelin are pretty good at (eg the formula renault tyre).
Yep the Formula Renault Michelins are pretty good tyres - we've used the F Renault rear tyres on the rally car for track days and they hang on quite well!
Old 9 Jan 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3874934)   #95
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yep the Formula Renault Michelins are pretty good tyres - we've used the F Renault rear tyres on the rally car for track days and they hang on quite well!
I know Escorts that race on them as well! But unless I’m mistaken they’re 13” wheels on F Renault? One of FEs ‘boasts’ is of the large (18”?) diameter wheels that are more relevant to today’s road cars.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3875016)   #96
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
they’re completely unrelated, i was just using the example to demonstrate they can produce something suitable for single seaters if they wanted to!
Old 12 Jan 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3875757)   #97
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
That was classic,BMW heading for an easy 1-2 until they took each other out.....
Old 12 Jan 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3875768)   #98
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The andrettis seem easily the fastest cars, but to me their driver lineup suggests that they were expecting to be backmarkers again. They seemed to be doing a decent job despite that prior to this, but that crash was just bad from both of them
Old 12 Jan 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3875806)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
The andrettis seem easily the fastest cars, but to me their driver lineup suggests that they were expecting to be backmarkers again. They seemed to be doing a decent job despite that prior to this, but that crash was just bad from both of them
Tail end drivers?!

Hardly, both had strong single seatet careers and are top liners in DTM and GT racing as works drivers.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3875861)   #100
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Shame for pascal wehrlein,
Turn 1 was a fuster cluck,
Massa and Waffle are doing well....
proper tail end charlies.