Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Mar 2002, 18:38 (Ref:238593)   #26
27tim
Racer

27tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesb
and rumours of it being unsafe. So? it tells you on the ticket motorsport is dangerous, grow some balls.
Hmmm interesting comment. So you'll be racing with no helemt, belts, or fireproofs next round will you? Safety development over the last 20years has improved dramtically so why not benefit from it??? I enjoy racing for the speed, competition and the massive buzz. I don't enjoy sitting in hospital for 6months with 2 broken legs, where is the fun in that when you could be racing? Grow some balls? Bah!

Last edited by 27tim; 18 Mar 2002 at 18:41.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 19:02 (Ref:238614)   #27
louis
Rookie

louis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a season in Formula Honda costs as little as £5,000. Where as a season in formula fords costs as much £125,000. A slight price difference there. if i had £125,000 i would never do formula fords there are far better classes available.

formula fords is a rip off, in formula where the cars look **** and are prone to accidents. Just like the one that happened in 99 where someone died and the numerous amounts of accidents that constantly occur due to interlocking wheels
Old 18 Mar 2002, 19:52 (Ref:238650)   #28
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Loius.. hope you don't mind me using your picture from your site.. if so, I'll delete it of course..

Modern FF's are inherently safer than a FH car.. see lack of driver head protection.. When marhsalling, I'm not sure I've ever seen a FH hit anything hard.. so not completely sure. But I have seen cars with driver head protection hit tyre walls, and this has made a difference.

FF cars aren't prone to accidents, its the competitive way they're driven.. people battling to get to F1 are desperate, I'm not sure how Neil Shanahans (spelt very wrong and I apologise) accident outcome would have been any different in a FH.

FH cannot be compared to Brit FF.. FH is rated as a club championship.. So we need to be comparing it to regional FF, FV, Zip??, Monos.. how does it compare?
Old 18 Mar 2002, 19:53 (Ref:238651)   #29
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think the photo worked anyway...
Old 18 Mar 2002, 19:57 (Ref:238653)   #30
27tim
Racer

Very well put Dan. I agree 110%.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 21:13 (Ref:238733)   #31
louis
Rookie

Well i see the 2001 formula honda champion has not been doing to badly in Formula Renault testing slightly faster than the Avon Junior champion i see, can't be that bader championship can it. There are some good drivers in it, probably better than some of the formula ford guys who get their rich dads to pay for their racing.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 22:45 (Ref:238806)   #32
27tim
Racer

Louis, Who was the 2001 FH champ?

thanks...
Old 18 Mar 2002, 22:51 (Ref:238810)   #33
louis
Rookie

Alex Buncombe
Old 19 Mar 2002, 15:02 (Ref:239344)   #34
jamesb
Rookie

jamesb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 27tim

Hmmm interesting comment. So you'll be racing with no helemt, belts, or fireproofs next round will you? Safety development over the last 20years has improved dramtically so why not benefit from it??? I enjoy racing for the speed, competition and the massive buzz. I don't enjoy sitting in hospital for 6months with 2 broken legs, where is the fun in that when you could be racing? Grow some balls? Bah!
Of course, that is exactly what I meant..... Lets not try to be funny here, if you were that worried about safety, and that hooked on the racing aspect, you could buy a playstation or a radio controlled car. Racing is all about the fear factor of speed... Full stop. There are enough programmes on tv about it for me to be fairly sure of that.

Yes. I agree that it's good that safety has improved, and yes I admit to buying the best helmet and fireproofs I can afford, but the risk is always there, and choosing a series purely on it's safety is a bit of a stretch. Historic racing is anything but safe, but I'm sure you'd love to drive a 1960's Lotus F1 as much as me.

As for the broken legs thing, why are you more likely to be in that situation in a FH, and not a FFord? you accept that may happen when you send for you license each year. Incidentally, if you have ever spun a FHonda, you will know that it is far less likely to hit anything hard anyway, it's lighter, and has lots of slick tyre to stop it. Once you loop it, it stops very quickly. Does the FFord?

I agree that you shouldn't really compare the 2 series as one is pro, the other club. My arguement is one is pro only because of it's history, and should really be club as well. FPA has more right to be pro than FFord, as do Tuscans. In my opinion.

Old 19 Mar 2002, 17:09 (Ref:239415)   #35
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Right then.. if there's an arguement that the structure is incorrect.. what should replace FF?? It needs to be recognised on a global level and have a reputation of producing the best drivers in the world. What else can fulfill this?

I think you comments relating to safety are somewhat naive... safety is to do with common sense and continual improvement. And even in motor racing, you should take every opportunity to protect yourself. The FH was designed in the 1980's and lacks post Senna safety improvements.. it has therefore less driver protection than most other one make series.

Having marshalled for several years, sprinted last year and always hoping that I'll race - I certainly would consider which series I'd race in on safety grounds.. There are accidents I've seen which make me think carefully about this. I'm not sure you'd get me racing a FH.

But that's only my opinion!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 18:23 (Ref:239481)   #36
louis
Rookie

i have had an accident in a formula honda car at 100mph at druids at Outlon Park and went straight into the barrier (as their was no run off available). I did not even scratch myself let alone have an injury, so the cars can't be that dangerous.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 18:58 (Ref:239516)   #37
27tim
Racer

James, You comments strike me as bizarre on the aspects of safety.

Quote:
Racing is all about the fear factor of speed... Full stop. There are enough programmes on tv about it for me to be fairly sure of that.
Its strange you need the views of someone else in a TV programme to formulate your own opinion. I race and fear only comes into it a very small percentage of the time. Perhaps if fear is a major aspect to you should have a look at your driving?

Quote:
choosing a series purely on it's safety is a bit of a stretch. Historic racing is anything but safe, but I'm sure you'd love to drive a 1960's Lotus F1 as much as me.
Safety has a lot to do with it, if there were 2 similar formulas and one was safer than the other the choice would be obvious to me. Funnily enough I was having a similar conversation with an ex F1 driver a while back, whose old car was running in Boss. He said he went to have a look at it and wouldn't even consider racing it anymore purely on the safety aspect. And personally I would have no interest in driving a 60's GP car unless I wanted to experience death/broken limbs slightly more easily than I could do in a FH.

I want to make my racing as safe as possible and minimise the risks, that doesn't mean to say they are not there, but they have been reduced. Doing this does not take away any enjoyment what so ever. If that means I don't drive some machinery that I consider as unsafe its normally because its outdated design anyways. I want to be at the cutting edge and drive the latest cars, which 99% times means they are also the safest.

As I said I gain enjoyment from racing not from suffering life-threatening injuries/death.

Of course you are free to go race a historic with no belts or rollover bar where you sit on the fuel tank and that’s anyones choice, but its not one I would make. It doesn’t make me any slower than anyone else or affect my driving because I am always safe in the knowledge that if I do shunt I have done my best to take out the risks, so I’m always there giving it 10/10ths…In fact when I think about it safety is only something I think about outside the car.

How did you go in your FPA test a while back? Didn’t I read on the FPA site that you had been out? what time did you manage to do? Fun cars aren’t they eh? Plus the fact they have been FIA crash tested []

Louis, Thats alright then, all accidents are the same so if you've been alright in one you'll walk from them all...

Of course guys its all in my humble opinion, I"m not knocking you, race what you feel comfortable in and I'll do whats right for me. It's all good

Last edited by 27tim; 19 Mar 2002 at 19:01.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 19:18 (Ref:239535)   #38
louis
Rookie

Tim what do you race or raced in? just wondering

thanks
Old 19 Mar 2002, 20:14 (Ref:239580)   #39
27tim
Racer

Louis, Last time out was in FPA.

Are you out in FH again this year? If so hope you have a great year

Tim.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 21:00 (Ref:239626)   #40
louis
Rookie

cheers, you to

Louis
Old 20 Mar 2002, 12:06 (Ref:240026)   #41
jamesb
Rookie

I think my comment about the tv was taken out of context. It was meant to demonstrate the many medical investigations into the biological reasons for the human facination with speed. If it came across that I accept anything I see on tv without question I appologise. This is not the case or I would belive in 8 foot tall talking birds, witches, vampires and Warp engines. Please re-read my comment with this in mind... it should make a little more sense.

I totally accept your opinion Tim, though my own may differ. Your contempt for my ideas on this is also understandable, as logically I should be considering safety. I do. Though I will race a car that may be considered unsafe due to it's design, it does not mean I would get in a car I felt was not maintained. I would rather drive a 1960's deathtrap, than a FPA with a cracked sidewall for example. The reason being I am aware that a mistake could kill me in the deathtrap, whereas it's out of my hands with the tyre. I guess my outlook is somewhat different, but when you spent you youth racing, (and flying) some less that state of the art machinary, you tend not to assess the potential problems that seriously. Don't crash it, and it's safety features don't matter anyway right?

I didn't get to really push the FPA unfortuanatly. I was looking forward to the slicks and wings, as I'd not really known enough about single seaters to appreciate them in the past. Just my luck it rained, and blew a gale. My fastest time was 1:19 something I think. about 2 seconds off the fastest of the day, set by a guy who tested all day the day before aswell, and had a lot of experience. I though I did ok, for my first single seater in the wet, with a turbo (which I'd never done before), at a circuit I'd never been to, with only 1 hour track time. My data showed I was loosing 1.4 seconds to the guy in 1 corner, and if I had been less worried about the £1500 insurance excess, (that says a lot, just been preaching how I'm not too bothered about the risks to me, and then tell everyone how I wrapped my chequebook in cotton wool for the day) I would have been closer with a more aggressive line. I was actually quicker through some corners, which I thought was very promising. Wish it had been dry though, as I feel I wasted my money a bit as it was too wet, and too windy to learn much (although I did learn a bit) it was more like a fast formula ford. One thing I did learn was that my new "aerodynamically sculpted" helmet is ****, and almost ripped my head off (mild exageration) with helmet lift. Might have been the extra wind (combined windspeed about 160mph I think) but it means I need one of those ugly spoilers on the back now. Dammit!

Otherwise I was very impressed with the FPA, and palmersport. Felt I got fobbed off a bit, as I had money to do a couple of races, and got the impression I was considered to be a bit of a time waster, which bugged me, (probably the company I keep) but my money is going elsewhere now, so I'm not bothered, I get 3 times as many races in FHonda, and my mates can talk as much bullsh#t as they like without it reflecting badly on me.

Are you FPA again this year Tim? If so good luck, if not, what are you racing?
Are you in FHonda this year Louis? I heard about your accident I think. Was it the one they had to cut the car open? That was at Oulton I think. Not a scratch on the guy apparently. Could be wrong.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 12:15 (Ref:240036)   #42
jamesb
Rookie

Sorry, with the big above reply, forgot to answer Dan.
I think FFord does not need replacing.
I see no reason why you can't go Zip, Renault, and obviously Mr. HInes and the MSA agree, as they are running that very idea as the prize for the championship winner.
Whether it works or not only time will tell, but I think they (aforementioned) are carving FFords headstone as we speak. I could be wrong, but usually, if it stinks it tends to be rotten. (except fish)
Old 8 Apr 2002, 08:20 (Ref:254592)   #43
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw these for the first time yesterday at Cadwell Park. They looked quite professional and spectacular on that circuit, though I don't know about when they get to the wide boring places.And what was the lone Yamaha doing? No doubt a left over from a previous formula?
Old 8 Apr 2002, 18:45 (Ref:255025)   #44
JSC
Rookie

JSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For a single seater VIRGIN who as many want to do well. Is It really a possibility to get started in the class as a priveteer on a £6,000 budget?

Last edited by JSC; 8 Apr 2002 at 18:48.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 15:05 (Ref:255706)   #45
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the Formula Honda championship is allowing other cars into the series. Is there any other cars entered yet?
Old 9 Apr 2002, 16:35 (Ref:255752)   #46
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reigning Formula Honda champion Alex Buncombe was an excellent 5th fastest in today's official Formula renault test at Silverstone and was quickest overall in the day's second session.

Good stuff.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 18:30 (Ref:255852)   #47
louis
Rookie

There were 19 formula Honda cars at Cadwell and 1 other Single Seater.

but other single seater cars are not really wanted in the championship.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 18:32 (Ref:255856)   #48
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
19 is a very good grid, its a wonder why they allow others in.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 18:53 (Ref:255877)   #49
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They allowed in the old BRSCC/BARC Single Seater series as the only way the BRSCC would allow the series to continue, but that perhaps looks a dodgy decision already.

JSC - You could probably do it for £6,000 as long as you knew what you were doing. I think you might also find you need a feq quid to buy a car though?!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 13:05 (Ref:256429)   #50
jamesb
Rookie

Got news about the "accident" in which a guy had to be cut out. My old "reliable" source was wrong. The accident actually happened about 15 years ago at Donnington, and yes the guy had substantial leg injuries, and had to be cut out. The reason was that he was not wearing his crotch straps, and slid out of his harness.
This comes from a very, very reliable source, ie. one of the top guys involved in Formula Honda.
Did any of you see the mess on Churchman and Corbyn's car after Cadwell? I'd say they are safer than most give them credit for.