Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Oct 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2778102)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sayonara Murf??

"The problem is you have wealthy businessmen buying up franchises for their kids.

Is this just Murph acknowledging his use by date might be close?

Who owns franchises that he is referring to ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/so...-1225941942187
Old 21 Oct 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2778108)   #2
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Steven Johnson is one kept in a seat by his dad.......even at the risk of the demise of the team.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2778116)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tasman Motorsport wasn't a trust fund as such, rather a group of businessmen who created a team for Greg to race in. It never really took off, and dissolved last year, with some of those businessmen staying on to assist other drivers in the sport.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2778131)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Self-fulfilling prophesy?

It is odd that Mr Murphy hasnt had a discussion with his teamowner about 2011, but is comfortable talking about what might happen in the media.

Is this in hope that the Murf-Nation gets behind their fallen star and politicks their way into keeping his seat warm?

Its a fine line being discussed about Mr Murphy not having 'paid' for a drive. When SuperCheap went to PWR, they did so on the back of the Murfster being the lead driver... if anyone else was planned for the lead seat, the story goes the sponsor was gone... is that 'paying' or are the semantics of the word group too fine a line to call?
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2778138)   #5
wjk98
Rookie

Australia
In the garage working on the racecar.
wjk98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
"The problem is you have wealthy businessmen buying up franchises for their kids.

Is this just Murph acknowledging his use by date might be close?

Who owns franchises that he is referring to ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/so...-1225941942187
Well the fact of the matter is you have to be a wealthy business man to afford a franchisee in the beginning.
Hey if you've got the money why not do something for your kids if they show some talent. No different to supporting your kids in any other sport( tennis, soccer, netball you name it) just the money and scale are much much bigger in motorsport.
Any one that believe's that top line motorsport is'nt about money and nepotism is dreaming.
Plus what's the difference between bringing family money or sponsor money to a team to gain a ride, at the end of the day the money is influencing the selection of the driver.

Thanks
Warren
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2778142)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk98 View Post
Well the fact of the matter is you have to be a wealthy business man to afford a franchisee in the beginning.
No it does not mean that at all as Mr GTR would tell you. What they are buying is a bottom line business, so make your business plan, secure the funding and go racing, it is that simple. Whether the franchisor wishes you to be a part of HIS business plan is another issue as the "wealthy business man" is part of the image me thinks. The idea that you have to be wealthy to go motor racing has been disproved many times in the past and by some who are already part of the SC organisation at the moment or the recent past. Larry Perkins would be a prime example, he came back to Oz, went for a drive to Darwin and IIRC won and built things from there. What is the norm is for the average plodder to use his money to go racing and as Wayne Gardner said, only a fool uses his own money to go racing.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2778143)   #7
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you have a 2 year contract ?
why would you have to have talks about it before the end of the first year
Old 21 Oct 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2778149)   #8
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murphy has always been a whinger, it is ironic that Murphy should bring this up he currently drives for a SORF Team anyone remember Morgan Vault ?
Old 22 Oct 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2778165)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the difference being the Son is no longer racing for that particular team fulltime...
Old 22 Oct 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2778170)   #10
Alco
Rookie

Alco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Murphy in a Ford next year? Would they want him is the real question!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2778172)   #11
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a turn up.... Interesting that Murphy is now coming out in the media and admitted to the Triple 8 equipe and it's pedigree but then not being able to produce with it. One would think with access to the data from the 'mother' team, then it should have not been that hard to set the car up.... you would also think that a man with Murphy's experience in V8's, his knowledge of the cars etc should have helped to be able to get the car into a window whereby it would get close to the sister cars in silver and red. Such has not been the case.

The rich dad quote is interesting, as Murphy Snr was one of the driving forces behind Tasman/Sprint Gas as we all know. If this isnt daddy helping boy I dont know what is.

I would be more inclined to think that this latest story is a smokescreen for the envitable parting of the ways from PMM. Certainly not a dignified exit. Given his current form, I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt find a full time ride.

I dont think it was unfair of Super Cheap to clause their sponsorship of PWR, on the basis that a "name" driver was fronting the show, especially one that could help push Super Cheap's continued expansion into NZ around that time....
Old 22 Oct 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2778173)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

should have happened about 7 years ago and just come back as a co driver for enduros, like skiafe is doing
Old 22 Oct 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2778176)   #13
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The saddest thing for Murph is that I don't think he's grasped that it's HIS lack of results and HIS extra curricular obligations forcing him to miss rounds is the reason he doesn't have options... not kids with rich Dads.... It's very sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Steven Johnson is one kept in a seat by his dad.......even at the risk of the demise of the team.
So you wouldn't resign the guy who came 6th in the Championship last year? Don't know that you get much more bang for buck the Steven Johnson.. I certainly suspect he's a cheaper hire than quite a few of the 'superstars' who can't seem to get results (that would include Mr Murphy).
Old 22 Oct 2010, 01:39 (Ref:2778188)   #14
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think the keys are available to the number 16 chariot
Old 22 Oct 2010, 02:15 (Ref:2778193)   #15
marty71
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
marty71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=cavvy;2778102]"The problem is you have wealthy businessmen buying up franchises for their kids.

I think Murphy is directing this barb at the Blanchards,who are actively chasing a seat for Tim.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2778208)   #16
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alco View Post
Murphy in a Ford next year? Would they want him is the real question!
I mentioned that to him on wed nite and his words "it aint going to happen"
Old 22 Oct 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2778210)   #17
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is where i prove i listened to my Mum, and choose to say nothing.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2778216)   #18
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
So you wouldn't resign the guy who came 6th in the Championship last year? Don't know that you get much more bang for buck the Steven Johnson.. I certainly suspect he's a cheaper hire than quite a few of the 'superstars' who can't seem to get results (that would include Mr Murphy).
6th?........he's had his chance and he's never going to win a championship. And now that the main game drivers have to stay in their own cars for the enduros it's likely he'll never get a Bathurst win either........but if he went to the Fujitsu series he could partner JC (or whoever) at Bathurst and maybe win a crown........but as it stands now I think #17 is a waste of a good car.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2778254)   #19
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony D’Alberto Racing and the Dumbrell family have submitted their interest in the #3 and #51 RECs

who knows if they had not been after the REC
car 51 could have been a 1 car team
Old 22 Oct 2010, 07:31 (Ref:2778272)   #20
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
I would be more inclined to think that this latest story is a smokescreen for the envitable parting of the ways from PMM. Certainly not a dignified exit. Given his current form, I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt find a full time ride.
Totally agree.... it's fanciful to think that if all the 'rich dads' sold their licences, there would be new owners ready to pay Murf a six figure salary to plod around the back of the field!!!

'Pay' drivers are a fact of life, plenty of them in Formula 1 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
I dont think it was unfair of Super Cheap to clause their sponsorship of PWR, on the basis that a "name" driver was fronting the show, especially one that could help push Super Cheap's continued expansion into NZ around that time....
You can be sure that Russell Ingall/PMM have similar clauses.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2778310)   #21
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is where i prove i listened to my Mum, and choose to say nothing.
Me too
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2778317)   #22
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have Steve J over Murph anytime, at least Steve has been consistent in his approach and not flopping around position 20 and beyond.....he may trade on the name but in no way has disgraced it either.

Murph also didnt come from rich beginnings, but enough that his family could support his racing fix, thats plenty more than the rest of us have. I'd love to be runnning last in the Fujitsus if I had the bucks to waste!!!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2778333)   #23
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
I'd have Steve J over Murph anytime, at least Steve has been consistent in his approach and not flopping around position 20 and beyond.....he may trade on the name but in no way has disgraced it either.
Maybe time for both to go........just look at JC's efforts compared to junior's efforts in similar machinery. Junior would make a great No.2 driver in the enduros though.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2778335)   #24
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
I thought it might have been more cos you're a real mans man... a Ford man..

Old 22 Oct 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2778507)   #25
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Maybe time for both to go........just look at JC's efforts compared to junior's efforts in similar machinery. Junior would make a great No.2 driver in the enduros though.
I guess it all comes down to how much money you've got. If you've got all the money in the world; by a superstar and add 30% to your running cost. If you've got enough to be comfortable; invest in a young gun, take the risk on the extra cost in panel damage, wasted time and sponsors turning their heads because you're not at the pointy end.... save a bunch and hire someone who's almost always in the top 1/3 and rarely bends the car.

I'd suggest that there's a number of drivers who take a far bigger pay cheque, who return far worse results than Jnr.

Not that I dissagree that he's unlikely to win a championship and he'd make a great co-driver... just that it's all well and good to say get rid of him.. but what do you replace him with.. and more importantly at what cost?