Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jul 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1039755)   #1
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intersport to R/S in Portlenad

jon feild said he might bring back the riley and scott for portland... he hasnt decided but he said he will be there one way or another due to the collapse of the lola judd
Old 19 Jul 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1040402)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring it out, Jon!!!!!!

Portland would be well-suited for that chassis.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Jul 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1040439)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This team obviously needs to do something. It's been rough days since Sebring.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1040516)   #4
GT1
Racer

GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lola Judd combo didn't work that well and its obvious the Riley is a good car, though perhaps not as quick.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1040646)   #5
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GT1
The Lola Judd combo didn't work that well and its obvious the Riley is a good car, though perhaps not as quick.
It would still be a better choice as the B160 has not been very competitiv either. At least the R&S should get them to the finish.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1040676)   #6
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be that ever since he got the B160/Judd back the car was never right and we never really saw the true potental of this package due to the tub?
Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1040693)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gsmith2424
Could it be that ever since he got the B160/Judd back the car was never right and we never really saw the true potental of this package due to the tub?

I thought that when the car was wrecked laast year at Sears Point that the chassis was re built and the Judd changes were incorporated???

As far as success....as an LMP 675 it won Petit and finished second in class (was racing hard and close with the Courage C65) in the LM 1000K race....its only two races in that class with the Judd engine...

It qualified 5th at Sebring in March, and was in the Top Ten all day until the engine let go late in the race....its first event as an LMP1

Personally, I don't know if that package was suited for LMP1 competition....

But I think the reason for the chassis "collapsing"...at least in part... was due to a bad shunt they had at Mid-Ohio, just past the esses in a practice session...

It hit the tire barriers hard and the entire car flew a few feet in the air as part of the impact, before coming down very hard on all four wheels....

I do not believe that it was due to last year's incident at Sears Point...the car has been raced and tested many times since that accident....starting with Petit...I don't buy it....the car had many,. many race miles on it for this to just "show up" as a residual effect from the car being "never right when he got it back" or from the Sears Point wreck last year....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 19 Jul 2004 at 20:37.

Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1040702)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car hasn't been right since Le Mans it seems to me. But it could all just be coincidence. Either way, the Riley and Scott will get them to the end. But I'll echo a few of the comments and say that it may not be any quicker than what they have. Certainly not quicker than the Lola-MG package. However, like I said, it will be reliable. And since we already have two of the "little" Lola's, a different chassis will be a welcome change.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1040706)   #9
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Mk IIIc isn't too bad a chassis, but as I've said in the past, the real problem with it keeping up with the R8 and others is the engine; it's too heavy.

Compare the all-up weight of the Elan/Ford 6.0L V8 to the Judd GV5 5.0L V10, and see what I mean.

Oh btw, Robinson Racing had a GV4 in their Mk IIIc when they raced in Grand Am, and it was quite competitive.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1040720)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
A decent point, veeten.....

But for this weekend, looks like it would have to be the Elan....which has decent torque and would be a good powerplant for Portland....

but the weight would be an issue....

Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1040725)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To place an exclamation point on this assertion I just made:

"But for this weekend, looks like it would have to be the Elan....which has decent torque and would be a good powerplant for Portland...."

The last time the ALMS raced at Portland (in 2001), a Panoz with the Elan engine beat the Audi to take the overall win....

Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1040726)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I for one would love to see the R&S with the GV5 in the back.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1040735)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I for one would love to see the R&S with the GV5 in the back.
I would, too....especially in the ALMS for a full season....

Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1040745)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote from Tim Northcutt:

"The last time the ALMS raced at Portland (in 2001), a Panoz with the Elan engine beat the Audi to take the overall win...."

Did the Panoz weigh in closer to 900kg's with the Elan? Maybe with the Elan the R&S can't get its weight down. Just a thought. Could the car be brought down to 900kg's with the Elan?

I would like to see the MK3C with a GV5 in it and running on Michelin rubber. But, more importantly, I would be interested in seeing a team with a decent budget campaign the car. That would be the only fair way of finding out the car's actual potential. Most likely we will never know, as the car's design is getting dated.

Last edited by jhansen; 19 Jul 2004 at 21:14.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1040770)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I thought that the R&S MkIIIC with an Elan engine was not more than about 15-20 kilos over the 900 kg. weight....

It was the MKIIIA that was heavier...something closer to 980 kg.

But I could be wrong...

Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:17 (Ref:1040864)   #16
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
using '03 LeMans numbers...

R&S Mk IIIc - 928 kg.

Panoz LMP1 - 933 kg.

Audi R8 - 919 kg.

looks like one needs that torque for the Panoz. Switch the engines in the Mk IIIc and watch the kilos drop.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1040865)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To finish first.....first you have to finish.

They'll do what it takes.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1040911)   #18
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is a portlenad a fat ball?

I dont see why he wouldnt bring it out, youre almost guaranteed a podium if/when one of the dyson cars goes up in smoke.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 03:33 (Ref:1040919)   #19
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
this looks like a job for..... spell-checker!

Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
is a portlenad a fat ball?
I was wondering when someone would catch that...
Old 20 Jul 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1041241)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If Intersport wants to save a few $$$ to repair the Lola LMP1, they could have Jon drive the LMP2 car again, get the Lola fixed before Mosport, or transport the R&S up there to race as opposed to dragging the R&S out to the West Coast only to bring it back east again...

That might be what they actually do....although they indicated that they might run the R&S, it sounds like they haven't decided yet...

Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1041354)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
From what I've heard, the LMP1 Lola is unlikely to be repaired. That "collapse" sounded pretty terminal.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1041357)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to hear that.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1041366)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
From what I've heard, the LMP1 Lola is unlikely to be repaired. That "collapse" sounded pretty terminal.

The term "collapse" does sound rather fatal, doesn't it????

If that is the case, I hope they do run the R&S....

Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1041377)   #24
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be a good idea to purchase (if available) the Spinnaker Dallara.

quite a good car!

They just have to find the money
Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1041382)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
I've heard the opposite - that Jon is still keen to get the Lola on the road. (hearsay, mind you - from another competitor not affiliated with Intersport)

The Dallara sounds like a great option, but I'd imagine he'd want to (dis)prove the Riley and Scott first. At least the support will be home-grown.

As an aside, perhaps this is an opportunity for Bill Riley to step up, if he can find the time between selling and building what's apparently the best DP out there.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James