Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Sep 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3851500)   #76
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Oh it works, until the money runs out. To the government cars are simply cash cows. Taxing them more and making electric ones tax free is fine up until the tipping point when they start bleeding money. In the Netherlands where I live the exact same thing happened with hybrid cars (the non-plugin variant). Sales crashed last year when the tax break was removed because it was too succesful. Here cars are taxed mostly by weight (stupid I know) so hybrid vehicles being naturally heavier have zero chance without a break. Same goes for electric vehicles by the way.

So the situation now is that the government is subsidizing rich guys who want to look cool because they have a Tesla. And rich guys who buy one of those glorified shopping carts for their wives while they drive around in their big diesel BMW. Sounds like the future doesn't it Incidentally the best sold 'electric cars' in the Netherlands are.... plug-in hybrids.

Same thing with these electric racing series. The technology is nowhere near good enough to do anything interesting with (including FE) so it's all masked in PR smoke and mirrors. FE succeeds only because it can use the 'Formula' name and it got the blessing of the FIA who told manufacturers they can look good to governments who otherwise despise racing. And people actually fall for it, the cult of personality Musk has built over himself has turned into a tribe in itself. 'Electric is not the future but it's already here' and if you don't believe it you're a denialist who can't handle change. Or something of that nature.

jimclark
Old 20 Sep 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3851554)   #77
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think without any disrespect intended it’s probably an incorrect opinion to think Electric power in cars is only a trend, or that they aren’t 100% the future.

It’s happening wether petrolheads like it or not.

That said, would I buy an electric car yet? No

Sure I inevitably will at some point in life, when they can perform in a way that doesn’t affect how I use my car currently, but I’m not yet willing to sacrifice performance for New tech.

Regarding Electric GT, I suspect this particular series might not necessarily make it, but undoubtedly there will be an Electric GT series sooner or later, and the manufacturers will get behind it as soon as there is a viable option.

Same as formula E

I personally don’t mind Electric Racing, but I really would rather see cars fight on real circuits instead of those pointless tracks formula E use. I get it, they don’t want to give chance for comparison on proper circuits but the street circuits they use are so cramped
Old 22 Sep 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3851965)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Regarding Electric GT, I suspect this particular series might not necessarily make it, but undoubtedly there will be an Electric GT series sooner or later, and the manufacturers will get behind it as soon as there is a viable option.

I personally don’t mind Electric Racing, but I really would rather see cars fight on real circuits instead of those pointless tracks formula E use. I get it, they don’t want to give chance for comparison on proper circuits but the street circuits they use are so cramped
As a petrolhead and a BEV owner, agree about the Electric GT series. IMHO it’s going to struggle to find a title sponsor, and the Model S used is too big and too expensive. Also wonder about the iPace series, but at least JLR are putting money into that. (I assume)

Also agree about FE and the street circuits, but that was part of the idea. I would love to see them on Brands Hatch Indy or another short ‘proper’ circuit!

If we want totally environmentally friendly race cars- how about a series for these......
Attached Thumbnails
8ACAB1D3-8249-4820-B654-B21EA9E3B727.jpeg  
Old 22 Sep 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3851973)   #79
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
As a petrolhead and a BEV owner, agree about the Electric GT series. IMHO it’s going to struggle to find a title sponsor, and the Model S used is too big and too expensive. Also wonder about the iPace series, but at least JLR are putting money into that. (I assume)

Also agree about FE and the street circuits, but that was part of the idea. I would love to see them on Brands Hatch Indy or another short ‘proper’ circuit!

If we want totally environmentally friendly race cars- how about a series for these......
How many boot changes would be allowed in a race, would they be supplied by one manufacturer and in different sole compounds ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3851974)   #80
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And then there's DRS - Direct Rubber System......

And the need to replenish the FERS (Fred's Energy Replacement System)......
Old 22 Sep 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3852002)   #81
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
And then there's DRS - Direct Rubber System......

And the need to replenish the FERS (Fred's Energy Replacement System)......
Now you're being silly, Mike and I were being serious
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3852008)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Now you're being silly, Mike and I were being serious
Aren’t we always?
Old 22 Sep 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3852009)   #83
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not silly! (It's just the way I walk...... ).
Old 22 Sep 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3852026)   #84
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How many boot changes would be allowed in a race, would they be supplied by one manufacturer and in different sole compounds ?
Just think Vibram could be a great sponsor for the racing
Old 23 Sep 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3852267)   #85
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A new attempt for a Hydrogen sportcar (more a proto than a GT) :
https://endurance24.fr/laco-lance-sa-mission-h24-et-presente-la-greengt-lm-ph2g/
AUTOhebdo :
https://www.autohebdo.fr/wec/actuali...24-197706.html (not fast, but it works...)

to mods : feel free to move this post to an other more appropriate thread, if you find one.

Last edited by PascaLM; 23 Sep 2018 at 19:49. Reason: to mods : feel free to move this post to an other more appropriate thread, if you find one.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3852281)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On first look though it was something from a CARS animation......
Old 24 Sep 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3852351)   #87
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My biggest disappointment with the H24 project is the use of a silent fuel cell. could've used a hydrogen combustion engine to at least retain a bit of noise, but no. That would've given them zero emissions, possibly less efficiency, but noise, and I think the noise is important.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3852355)   #88
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
On first look though it was something from a CARS animation......
It's the same kind of joke as when the Yellow Tea Pot (first F1 turbo) appeared on a track.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3852357)   #89
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
My biggest disappointment with the H24 project is the use of a silent fuel cell. could've used a hydrogen combustion engine to at least retain a bit of noise, but no. That would've given them zero emissions, possibly less efficiency, but noise, and I think the noise is important.
So do I. A hydrogen ICE would be pretty cool, and more road relevant in my opinion.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3852429)   #90
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
So do I. A hydrogen ICE would be pretty cool, and more road relevant in my opinion.
So I've looked into it a bit more and it seems that a hydrogen ICE requires the hydrogen to be kept in liquid form, which means very cold and under extremely high pressure - which is a problem. It can be done, there are road cars that do it, but it is a little harder than I thought it was.

But I'd still prefer that for the noise and gears. I feel like that's part of the show, and since this is a sport, the show is important (to an extent, obviously).
Old 24 Sep 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3852470)   #91
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hydrogen's a pesky beast, with its single proton and partner electron. It slips through some metals like they're not there, and binds with others at stupendously low temperatures to make weird crystalline stuff that has bizarre properties.

I'm really not sure I'd be happy with a cylinder of cryogenic hydrogen a few inches behind my backside in a racing car. And I definitely wouldn't be rushing towards one in the event of a crash.

It's also not that energy dense, so you'd need an awful lot of it, which makes it even scarier!
Old 24 Sep 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3852471)   #92
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
To be fair, that was the original argument against hydrocarbon powered vehicles - electric was the future at one point! And then we engineered our way out of that
Old 24 Sep 2018, 21:41 (Ref:3852495)   #93
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So I've looked into it a bit more and it seems that a hydrogen ICE requires the hydrogen to be kept in liquid form, which means very cold and under extremely high pressure - which is a problem. It can be done, there are road cars that do it, but it is a little harder than I thought it was.

But I'd still prefer that for the noise and gears. I feel like that's part of the show, and since this is a sport, the show is important (to an extent, obviously).
'PMed ya...

jimclark