Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3920374)   #4176
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
A chap @ the circuit last week had a Jaguar I-Pace and I have to say I liked the look of it, not so impressed with it's range though, 240 miles before charging, I can do 600 on a tank of diesel.
I'm not ready to change the Range Rover just yet but I have to say the Jag might be the future.
My brother-in-law is quite a forward thinker and also loves his cars. Despite being described as 'a petrol-head' he is seriously impressed with the idea of an I-Pace and his view is that motorway service stations will nave to change, offering more amenities for motorists to remain occupied whilst their electric cars are being re-charged for an hour or so.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3920375)   #4177
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
First driving lesson today.Little nervous obviously.

Any tips?
Enjoy it Will, listen to your instructor and don't think you know how to do it 'because you're an enthusiast!'
As I explained to my wife many years ago when she first started to use a computer, driving is a series if interconnected and initially complicated actions (throttle/revs, clutch bite point, brakes, steering etc) that before long become automatic reflexes. Once these basics are grasped, you can move on to more complicated things.
Most of all, enjoy it, it's a fantastic experience that most of us old gits on here take for granted!
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3920376)   #4178
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Where in the UK can you get 250 miles in about 3 hours?
Other than it being illegal, how can you maintain an average speed of 83mph for 3 hours straight?
We were discussing European driving but yes it would be illegal in the UK.

Quote:
Taking a more realistic figure of 50mph average, I would be driving for 4.5hrs before reaching the range, at which point a break would be highly recommended. If driving professionally, this would have to be a minimum of 45 mins.
As I understood it, the Tesla Super Chargers will give a full charge in around 15-20 mins. About the right time span for a cup of coffee and a break.

Quote:
For interest, I looked at a route between North Yorkshire and South Shropshire that I travel regularly. The journey could be completed on a full charge, but if not I would pass two rapid chargers that could replenish 80% of an I-Pace battery in 45 mins. And approximately 50 points that could replenish 80% in 1.5hrs.

Take a look at Zap-Map, and you will see that the lack of charging availability across most of England and Wales is a myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
My brother-in-law is quite a forward thinker and also loves his cars. Despite being described as 'a petrol-head' he is seriously impressed with the idea of an I-Pace and his view is that motorway service stations will nave to change, offering more amenities for motorists to remain occupied whilst their electric cars are being re-charged for an hour or so.
Certainly BP and Shell are investing in service stations where there are also retail opportunities. You'd go to the shops and do your weekly shopping whilst charging the car.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3920378)   #4179
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to of not been posting busy busy busy .Waiting for ferry at Dover and then on to Copenhagen . Classic was O K nothing to write home about . Best fun was sharing the Elite with Dr Bob . We now have some work to do as 4/5 secs of the pace but the little car ran well . F3,again was fun but our tyres were very old . The owner was extremely happy . Sports 2000 bit of nightmare as I brought the wrong wets with me . Sunday race owner started but got puncture so that was that . Sorry Pete but I did chuckle seeing you spun out at Beckets . BBQ was best ever fantastic turn out but we ran out of food so I was bit upset about that . So sorry to those who came along late and we could not feed you . I normally end up eating burgers and sausages for a couple of weeks after . Anyway ferry at mid day then on to Germany and up to Rodby for another ferry to Denmark . Will report in when I get there . 😀
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3920380)   #4180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sorry Pete but I did chuckle seeing you spun out at Beckets .

Yes, I guess the tyres just gave out or there was some fluid down because the VBox shows me going the same speed as the previous laps. Hey ho at least I beat Steve Soper ....... again.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3920382)   #4181
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few points based on other's postings.

A car hire company in the UK is already experimenting/trialling an autonomous parking system for their cars at an airport. The customers car is self-driven from a parking spot to a designated "garage" (like a lock up garage in a row) where the customer picks it up. On his return to the airport, he deposits the car back in the garage, and once it has "reported" that it is safely returned, it is then self-driven again to an unoccupied parking space in the car park.

On to planes. Those with good memories might that British Airways, as is now, was one of the early adopters of automated landing technology. I believe that both their BAC 1-11s and their Tridents were equipped with the technology to land and take off at Category III such as Heathrow. This allowed them to land and take off at considerably lower levels of visibility than other airlines, very useful back then when fog was much more prevalent.

Things have moved on considerably since those heady days. Now, all planes have auto-take off and autoland, plus they are all equipped with auto-braking. And some aircraft have even got the technology on board to take them off the runway, taxi them all the way to their designated gate/parking slot. However, only a very few airports around the world have actually installed the required infrastructure to facilitate these self-moving manoeuvrers although it is being trialled.

However, we are some way yet from having aircraft fly without pilots. As will eventually come out in the official reports into the two Boeing Max 8 crashes, if the pilots had had sufficient training and Boeing had been less economical with the truth about the changes between the older 737s and the Max 8s, then the pilots on those two aircraft may have been able to regain control and avoid the catastrophes. Unfortunately, Boeing considered that just a short, less than an hour's, training video was sufficient to transition a pilot from a 737-800 to a Max 8. And I don't think that it covered the issue at the heart of the two crashes.

What the pilots didn't know, because Boeing hadn't trained them or informed the the airlines about it, was that the system could be permanently disabled by just flicking a switch. All the pilots were told was that they could temporarily disable the system, and this is evidenced by the black box recording of one the aircraft which showed that the pilot had done this 20 times before it crashed.

Boeing, and the FAA as the originator regulator, are not going to come out if this well.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3920383)   #4182
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Enjoy it Will, listen to your instructor and don't think you know how to do it 'because you're an enthusiast!'
As I explained to my wife many years ago when she first started to use a computer, driving is a series if interconnected and initially complicated actions (throttle/revs, clutch bite point, brakes, steering etc) that before long become automatic reflexes. Once these basics are grasped, you can move on to more complicated things.
Most of all, enjoy it, it's a fantastic experience that most of us old gits on here take for granted!
I will hopefully.

I'm kind of s******g myself over it to be honest but trying not that get the better of me.😁
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3920395)   #4183
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, interesting to read so many positive and informed posts about Tesla cars and EVs as a whole. 2 years ago that wouldn’t have been the case, so our perception is already changing!

Regarding the charging infrastructure, if anyone is interested enough, download the free Zap-Map App for whatever type of device you have, and on the map you can select different charger types and or providers- for instance Tesla Superchargers, Tesla Destination chargers, etc etc...... It’s an eye opener to how well provided some parts of the U.K. are, and the converse!

One point many posts back, on drivers ‘hogging’ chargers. Tesla have already taken steps to minimise the chances, Ecotricity chargers (when they work) cut off after a certain time, so while that doesn’t stop anyone leaving their car attached, there isn’t much point. In reality it’s no different to getting to a French (for instance) service area in my truck and finding the pumps blocked by some selfish gits parked on them while taking a break, with the cab in the shade..... Or someone parked at a BP station pump while doing their M&S shop inside!

As for people buying a Tesla for personal tax advantages, the biggest ‘issue’ has been Plug in Hybrid company car drivers taking advantage of the tax savings, not bothering to install a home charger, then charging up in car parks all day while at work, no doubt with their employer paying the parking! When a pure BEV needs to charge to get to their next destination, all the chargers are occupied. I see it quite often in the refurbed council car park in Norwich. 6 chargers, at least 4 occupied by the same PHEVs every time I look. That’s the reason the government have removed the grant for PHEVs, and quite rightly, IMO....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 30 Jul 2019 at 12:29.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3920398)   #4184
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Wow, interesting to read so many positive and informed posts about Tesla cars and EVs as a whole. 2 years ago that wouldn’t have been the case, so our perception is already changing!

Regarding the charging infrastructure, if anyone is interested enough, download the free Zap-Map App for whatever type of device you have, and on the map you can select different charger types and or providers- for instance Tesla Superchargers, Tesla Destination chargers, etc etc...... It’s an eye opener to how well provided some parts of the U.K. are, and the converse!

One point many posts back, on drivers ‘hogging’ chargers. Tesla have already taken steps to minimise the chances, Ecotricity chargers (when they work) cut off after a certain time, so while that doesn’t stop anyone leaving their car attached, there isn’t much point. In reality it’s no different to getting to a French (for instance) service area in my truck and finding the pumps blocked by some selfish gits parked on them while taking a break, with the cab in the shade..... Or someone parked at a BP station pump while doing their M&S shop inside!

As for people buying a Tesla for personal tax advantages, the biggest ‘issue’ has been Plug in Hybrid company car drivers taking advantage of the tax savings, not bothering to install a home charger, then charging up in car parks all day while at work, no doubt with their employer paying the parking! When a pure BEV needs to charge to get to their next destination, all the chargers are occupied. I see it quite often in the refurbed council car park in Norwich. 6 chargers, at least 4 occupied by the same PHEVs every time I look. That’s the reason the government have removed the grant for PHEVs, and quite rightly, IMO....
Another example of Man's inhumanity to man.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3920408)   #4185
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Another example of Man's inhumanity to man.
Just to spoil your weekend Bob, see you on Saturday....
Old 30 Jul 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3920414)   #4186
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now very depressed.The reason is my last posts topic.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3920415)   #4187
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
What's up Will? Share your troubles on here mate and we will try and help if we can.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3920418)   #4188
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Not quite what you expected?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3920420)   #4189
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see an Aussie HTC car and driver have been doing the rounds in the UK and doing quite well.

I refer to historic touring car racer Carey McMahon and the car he has been using being the ex Tony Longhurst Yellow Benson and Hedges Cosworth Sierra, as piloted by Longhurst in the 1990 Australian Touring Car Championship. McMahon owns several famous Australian touring cars.

Last month the 65-year-old contested the HSCC Dunlop Saloon Car Cup at the Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit, finishing second in Race 2.

Following that appearance, McMahon took the Sierra to Oulton Park earlier this month, where he was classified 11th in the AMOC Intermarque Championship & Aston Martin GT4 Challenge & GT Challenge race.

Last weekend the car ran at the Silverstone Classic, qualifying 10th in a 43 car Historic Touring Car Challenge grid, before going on to finish in 31st position. Im sure some of you might have seen it around....

I believe he was Aussie born but spent time as a child in the UK before returning to Aus, and has long had the ambition to race in Blighty.

Last edited by E.B; 30 Jul 2019 at 16:50.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3920421)   #4190
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Not quite what you expected?
Inconsistent.Some good and bad bits.Fine with handling and stuff.Just struggled with clutch for .Do fine for 10 mins then bad for 10.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3920424)   #4191
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Regarding electric cars, as the mileage given in the adverts can only be an "average" presumably if you are using all the ancillary equipment (ie wipers/ ice/ lights/ heater) how much less would you expect ? or is that the same as asking how long a ball of string is
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Jul 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3920426)   #4192
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I asked that question. Apparently the ancillliariws don't impact the battery very much.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3920427)   #4193
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Inconsistent.Some good and bad bits.Fine with handling and stuff.Just struggled with clutch for .Do fine for 10 mins then bad for 10.
It's a shame if you are only using a school car and can't use a family car on the drive at home. Personally I learnt to drive on a farm when I was 11 years of age and I was driving cars into the work bays of the garage when I started work at 15.
I obviously couldn't legally drive on the road and actually passed my test a week after my 17th birthday.
Remember that driving schools really only teach you to pass a test !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Jul 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3920429)   #4194
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Regarding electric cars, as the mileage given in the adverts can only be an "average" presumably if you are using all the ancillary equipment (ie wipers/ ice/ lights/ heater) how much less would you expect ? or is that the same as asking how long a ball of string is
Probably! But my understanding is that the bigger the battery capacity, the less the car will be affected when using ancillaries. All cars are now tested using the WLTP method. Very little info in the following links regarding use of lights, wipers, heater, a/c etc., but still some interesting reading.

https://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

https://www.vehicle-certification-ag...k/fcb/wltp.asp

And on EVs.....

https://www.vda.de/en/topics/environ...-measured.html
Old 30 Jul 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3920430)   #4195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Give yourself a break, Will! I’d be surprised if many can get the co-ordination right first time! A lot depends on the car as well. What did you take your lesson in?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3920431)   #4196
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Don't worry Will, it'll just take practice. I'd say that the clutch control thing is probably the hardest to master at first, there are so many variables to balance together and at the moment you will be trying to concentrate on all of them. Trust me, before long you'll master this and start to do it instinctively without giving it a (conscious) thought, then you can start to move on to the next bits. As Gordon said, it's a shame you have to use (and therefore pay for) the driving school car. If you had a car you could use to practice just this (on private ground), starting from rest, stopping and doing it again, you'd soon get the hang of it. (Seriously, one day it will just click and after a while you will wonder how on earth you found it difficult!).
As I've said before, I used driving as a comparison with my wife when she started computing. To start with she couldn't comprehend how moving a mouse around on her desk could move a pointer on the screen, and she would have to watch her hand doing it. Now it's second-nature to her. I'm sure you use a computer mouse without thinking about it?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3920432)   #4197
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As long as you didn't left foot brake like in a kart you'll be fine.

We had a young lad working at the kart track some years ago. Taught him to race quite competently. Turned 17, his dad took him out for his first driving lesson. First junction, our lad left foot braked and dad nearly went through the windscreen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3920433)   #4198
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I obviously couldn't legally drive on the road and actually passed my test a week after my 17th birthday.
Remember that driving schools really only teach you to pass a test ![/QUOTE]

I was much the same I drove my Uncles Milk Float - a Transit around Sussex when I was 15 - 17, having already been racing karts for a couple of years.
Had 3 'proper' lessons to pass the test all well over 40 years ago, wouldn't be able to get away with it these days i'm sure.

I still left foot brake after all these years but then again both cars are automatics!
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3920435)   #4199
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The " adverts " are more likely to be the best possible ever range that might? be achieved . Here is a study of " real world " mileages that are more probable .
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...al-world-range

And then there are other factors such as . Battery energy, [ range ] falls by about 20% at below about 8C temp , & by about 90% at below something like -15C temp .
Towing will reduce range by 40% or 50% of normal .
Driving fast will also reduce range . I saw figures that showed one of the quickest Tesla,s would not be able to complete even a lap of the Nordschleife if it was driven flat out .
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3920437)   #4200
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Give yourself a break, Will! I’d be surprised if many can get the co-ordination right first time! A lot depends on the car as well. What did you take your lesson in?
Not sure on model but it was a Citroën. Smallish car.
Closed Thread