Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Feb 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3884633)   #51
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Did you try this? https://www.plaque-immatriculation-auto.com
Any additional mention is possible as extra like: Fook the French Police!
Old 16 Feb 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3884646)   #52
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, surprise surprise, I now have a trailer registration number, and have been relieved of £26 for the privilege. Stress again that it is ONLY COMMERCIAL USE TRAILERS OVER 750kg that can be registered at this time.
Will you have to now MOT it on the reg No. or the chassis number
Old 16 Feb 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3884657)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Will you have to now MOT it on the reg No. or the chassis number
The trailer registration plate is only needed in EU-land so will probably be fixed on with Velcro to save any confusion......
Old 1 Mar 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3887523)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The registration service has gone 'live' today. No new suggestions that private trailers need to be included, unless they weigh over 3500kg, which means artic or something massively bigger than any motorsport trailer.....

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2019...ice-goes-live/
Old 1 Mar 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3887562)   #55
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The registration service has gone 'live' today. No new suggestions that private trailers need to be included, unless they weigh over 3500kg, which means artic or something massively bigger than any motorsport trailer.....

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2019...ice-goes-live/
Your trailer then Mike?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Mar 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3887567)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Your trailer then Mike?
Registered during the ‘beta’ (whatever that means) trial period! Had to very carefully explain the plate layout to the maker, just in case, but they got it perfect. Silly thing is that the plate doesn’t have to be reflective material, but has to be white with black letters. Of course all the plate makers have is white reflective, which is contrary to normal requirement at the rear of a vehicle.....
Old 1 Mar 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3887573)   #57
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The service went from private Beta to open Beta today, and both my open and covered trailers are now possessors of a registration number. Given instructions to my plate maker for the sizing - lets see if they understand it...
Old 1 Mar 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3887619)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike you mean you have now a regulation for trailers between 750 and 3000 kilos slightly different from EU countries in terms of size and shape of the plates and illumination? What will happen if you just comply with EU regulation when in UK? And circulating with UK requirements in EU? I guess I've misunderstood.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3887630)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike you mean you have now a regulation for trailers between 750 and 3000 kilos slightly different from EU countries in terms of size and shape of the plates and illumination? What will happen if you just comply with EU regulation when in UK? And circulating with UK requirements in EU? I guess I've misunderstood.
Gerard, the new ‘trailer registration plate’ is in addition to the normal one that will still carry the number of the towing vehicle, be same size and illuminated as before. The additional plate is to comply with an EU convention and carries a different configuration of letter and numbers. It is smaller and has to be square, not oblong. It may be that the UK was able to decide the size and shape, rather than it being legislated by the EU.

We only need it to be fitted when travelling your side of the channel, but not in Spain and Malta who didn’t sign up to the convention.... And it’s only required for commercial trailers over 750kg, not private ones- unless the latter is over 3500kg.

Hope that makes sense?
Old 1 Mar 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3887643)   #60
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I thought I'd give the new service a try, surprisingly it all worked well as far as I got until I decided not complete the registration form from where they wanted the vin#. How odd, something from the gubberment that works
Old 1 Mar 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3887648)   #61
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Hope that makes sense?
Indeed Mike, indeed.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3887657)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I thought I'd give the new service a try, surprisingly it all worked well as far as I got until I decided not complete the registration form from where they wanted the vin#. How odd, something from the gubberment that works
It didn’t like the vin # I put in, even though correct for the make! I selected ‘other manufacturer’ or whatever the non specific choice was, then it accepted the vin..... But apart from that, all smooth going.

Completely off topic, but still a gubberment department, I’ve managed to complete 3 ‘Making Tax Digital’ Vat registrations as well this week without any website crashing.....
Old 27 Apr 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3899944)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, during a drive to Kent and back, including a comfort break at the jewel of the M25- Thurrock Services, I made a point of checking all the mainland Europe trailers that I could, and not one, I repeat, NOT ONE, had a unique trailer registration plate. In fact, the only ones I’ve seen were on the back of British race trucks at Barcelona......

Have we been conned?
Old 27 Apr 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3899946)   #64
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Have we been conned?
I think you have I've only noticed one trailer reg plate on a UK truck since all this has been mentioned
Old 27 Apr 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3899947)   #65
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The regulations in several countries of Europ state that a trailer must have its own registration plate when above 750 kilos. May be Italy request the addition of the towing vehicle number (one Rimorchio and another). I think impossible that a great number of truckers dont follow the rules when driving in the UK. I guess I didn't understand your point, sorry if the case.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 11:29 (Ref:3899956)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
No, you haven’t misunderstood! We were told by our authority that all EU countries (except Spain, Malta, Cyprus & Liechtenstein) had signed up to the ‘1968 Vienna convention on road transport’ and that trailers over 750kg would have to be registered, then display that registration plate. All this from the end of March. But, unless the plates I saw on the back of trailers from virtually every E Europe country, Germany, Netherlands etc., this morning were different to the tow vehicle number, none had them......

Very strange!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 11:44 (Ref:3899961)   #67
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
More than strange you mean. Think "was it the case before" is not a good question atm. I'm not experimented enough to go back to '68 but do remember all my trailers were registered as a vehicle, had their proper insurance and the relevant number displayed at rear. What I dont do is to show the max limit speed when towing, recently changed here. And depending on the max circulating weight allowed to the towing vehicle to make things simple…
If my understanding is good, if you tow with say a 3 series Bimmer you can go to 110 kph on the highways, downgraded to 90 kph is its a 5 series! Madness!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3899968)   #68
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This may possibly be one of those cases in the EU that although all countries may have signed up for a particular piece of legislation, it is up to the individual member states when that legislation is incorporated into it's own statutes.

As far as the UK is concerned, because we are supposed to be leaving the EU, it has meant that all the EU legislation that had been passed by Brussels but that had not yet been incorporated had to be included on the UK's statute book before the 29th March 2019. The theory is that the UK Parliament will then go through all that legislation at some time in the future to decide whether they wish to repeal such legislation..

It may be that other EU member states have yet to incorporate this particular bit of legislation in to their own laws.

Hope that I haven't confused the reader too much! And I think that this may not be the only anomaly that will appear in the years to come!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3899985)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I did wonder if it was something like that- it actually makes sense, Mike!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3899995)   #70
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I did wonder if it was something like that- it actually makes sense, Mike!

And if my supposition actually is correct, Mike, it makes an absolute nonsense of the myth that the UK "needs" to take back control of our law making. I believe that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of bits of legislation that the EU has passed in the last 42 years that the UK hadn't, like a lot of other EU members, incorporated in our own law books.

That was until the UK decided to leave!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3899999)   #71
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
No, you haven’t misunderstood! We were told by our authority that all EU countries (except Spain, Malta, Cyprus & Liechtenstein) had signed up to the ‘1968 Vienna convention on road transport’ and that trailers over 750kg would have to be registered, then display that registration plate. All this from the end of March. But, unless the plates I saw on the back of trailers from virtually every E Europe country, Germany, Netherlands etc., this morning were different to the tow vehicle number, none had them......

Very strange!
Germany, France, Belgium and others have different a registration plate on the trailer to the tractor as they all require separate registration and have done for years, they don't have an individual plate as the Italians do, and the UK now should do.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3900017)   #72
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Germany, France, Belgium and others have different a registration plate on the trailer to the tractor as they all require separate registration and have done for years, they don't have an individual plate as the Italians do, and the UK now should do.
That could explain a lot! I know the Italian and Spanish trailers show two plates at the back, but it’s almost impossible to see the tractor plate and trailer plate at the same time on an artic to know if they’re different.....

The fact that the new regulation came in on March 28th, the day before we were due to leave the EU, gives Mike’s suggestion credibility as well.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3900027)   #73
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I find quite understandable that the UK wants its own rules, circulation and others. Its already the case with the left side of driving. It wouldn't come up to any foreign mind to say "I'm not English, I'll drive on the right not on the left". And vice versa. I seem to recall that back at the end of the fifties having a driving licence and car insurance was not mandatory in Belgium. Stand to be corrected about that.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3924383)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Appears that consideration was being given to an annual test for all trailers over 750kg gross weight, but sounds like it’s not going to happen...

https://www.ukhaulier.co.uk/news/roa...safety-review/
Old 30 Aug 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3924848)   #75
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
The variations on motoring rules between EU countries was highlighted again for me when in the Netherlands last weekend - I visited some Dutch friends who had recently been over to our Imp National weekend - to which they bring their Imp on a custom-made A-frame towed behind their Bedford CF motorhome (fitted with Rover V8 engine ). I was discussing the relative costs of the ferries - particularly Hull-Rotterdam versus Dover-Calais, and my friends remarked that Dover-Calais route whilst relatively cheap was more or less ruled out as the A-frame towing was illegal in Belgium so they'd have to take a very circuitous route......